PDA

View Full Version : How I wasted my day at work!

trophyoftexas
11-26-2007, 03:23 PM
I'm going to post this link here as well as in the Serotta pictures section....only because I think it's a pretty cool bike, a pretty cool story, and some of you may not frequent the picture section of this site often enough to see it....on top of that, I've wasted the entire day at work trying to put this together....good thing I work for myself and by myself so I don't get fired or make anyone else mad for my goofing away the day!

http://www.trophyoftexas.com/about/serotta_csi_w.htm

DarrenCT
11-26-2007, 03:30 PM
very classy.

can i have it?

Viper
11-26-2007, 03:34 PM
Gorgeous.

Ozz
11-26-2007, 03:38 PM
cool...the first paint scheme was an inspiration for my CSI.....the second one was very cool and was tempted to bite when dbrk was selling it.

Nice work with your final iteration!

Ken Robb
11-26-2007, 03:40 PM
nice---but to have "thrown away" all those other gorgeous paint jobs-------sob!

trophyoftexas
11-26-2007, 03:47 PM
YOUR paint job on YOUR CSi is way way cool, too! Love it!cool...the first paint scheme was an inspiration for my CSI.....the second one was very cool and was tempted to bite when dbrk was selling it.

Nice work with your final iteration!

Spinner
11-26-2007, 03:56 PM
... I remember seeing this frame at the first TdFL; it was beautiful then and is even better now.

That paint job is really gorgeous and the components really make it shine.

Now that's what I would call a trophy.

Ozz
11-26-2007, 04:20 PM
YOUR paint job on YOUR CSi is way way cool, too! Love it!
Thanks!

I just finished reading your notes (first run thru was just looking at pictures)....interesting info about Dave Kirk building your CSI....I have no idea if he built mine or not...not that it matters....just interesting.

Who did your final paint?

Enjoy the bike!

Blue Jays
11-26-2007, 04:47 PM
Cool historical narrative from past to present!

ashwa64
11-26-2007, 05:13 PM
big fan of those lugs (and i like what you did with the bike).

PBWrench
11-26-2007, 05:55 PM
Trophy -- Thanks for this interesting documentary! I really enjoyed the story, the attention to detail in both your research and photography, and of course, the beautiful machine. Enjoy every minute on it!

CNY rider
11-26-2007, 06:37 PM
That bicycle is exquisite.
I really like the lugs.
Where did you get black cables? I wasn't aware that they existed.
No way was this a waste of a day! :beer:

trophyoftexas
11-26-2007, 07:19 PM
Thanks, but most of the congrats should go to Douglas Brooks, I'm the rider, he's the master of componentry to my way of thinking! And Kelly Bradford from Serotta, never met him but sure do like him, gets the kudo's on the lugs, aren't they spectacular....I've seen 'em 100 times and still love 'em! I got the black cables at Richardson Bike Mart, sort of my home away from home. I can't remember who the maker was but I'll try to remember to ask Jack and post it back on the forum, gotta be someone out there that knows!

I really like the lugs.

Fixed
11-26-2007, 07:36 PM
thank you loved the pictures
great stuff
cheers imho

bironi
11-26-2007, 09:30 PM
beautiful stuff, now go out and get some dirt on those babies. :beer:

trophyoftexas
11-27-2007, 10:39 AM
...are from JagWire. Nothing special about them, just black and I thought they would look cool with the black down tube shifters and Mavic dr's.

I really like the lugs.

dnades
11-27-2007, 10:59 AM
Thanks for taking the time. Love that mavic crank and those black down tube shifters. Sweet ride.

trophyoftexas
11-27-2007, 11:45 AM
it is a sweet ride and has become about my favorite of all of my Serotta's...too bad for a lot of us that Serotta deemed the use of lugged assembly as "an archaic method of frame construction." I've got an Ottrott ST that I really like, too, but for me to say it's a better-smoother-faster-stiffer, etc. ride than my CSi or my Richard Sachs would be a stretch of my ablility to decern those sensations....bottom line to me is I like the look of lugged steel better than any other method of construction and the ride characteristics are so close to being the same that I can't tell much difference....but I know what my eyes see and the darn lugged steel stuff is just prettier to me!

My lugged steel bikes ARE a little heavier than my carbon and/or Ti bikes but just maybe that would equate to a smoother ride, heck I don't know! Maybe they are a little bit more of a load to ride uphill, but then again, maybe I just need to loose 3-4 pounds of body weight and make up the difference or slap on a 12-27 or 13-29 and pretend that they weigh the same! I DO know this, after getting my first lugged steel bike and riding it for a few months, I went back and sold both of the all carbon bikes that I had and have never felt any regret at having done so....on the other hand, anytime I've let loose of one of the many lugged bike's I've owned I have always had a few second-thoughts! Worse than letting my kids grow up and leave the nest!

Thanks for taking the time. Love that mavic crank and those black down tube shifters. Sweet ride.

vaxn8r
11-27-2007, 03:50 PM
I thoroughly enjoyed reading and viewing that. Very well done. Stuff like this is the primary reason I hang out here. Thanks!

trophyoftexas
11-27-2007, 04:18 PM
Not that my stuff is all that great but I agree with you 100%....hearing the special stuff about people's rides, trips, etc. is worth the price of admission to this forum! Admission(?) you say....yeah, ADMISSION! This forum has cost me 100's of dollar's, no, make that 1000's of dollars! I now own and ride some of the grandest of bikes and enjoy every minute I spend on them, photogaphing them, talking about them, sharing them! Before I found this place I didn't know Richard Sachs from Richard the Lionheart....but now that I know they are the same guy all is right with the world!!!! No really, the advice and information gleaned from this forum is unbelievable and just plain neat to know! Death or bancruptcy will be the only reasons that my green Sachs or my CSi end up on here for sale.....here's hoping neither comes very soon!

I thoroughly enjoyed reading and viewing that. Very well done. Stuff like this is the primary reason I hang out here. Thanks!