PDA

View Full Version : Ride Report from the Dirty Dozen in da' Burgh

BURCH
11-26-2007, 03:04 PM
Hey there. Some folks were asking for a ride report of this event (http://www.dannychew.com/PG%20DD%20Map.gif) so here goes...

Riders: 129 (a record amount)
Temps: Overcast (29 to 39 degrees)
Danny Chew: The main organizer rode his 1 millionth Kilometer on this ride
Favorite Hills: Rialto (#6) and Canton (#9) because everyone could cheer each other to the top which made them more festive than most hills.
Least favorite hill: Barry/Holt/Eleanor (#12) because I forgot that Eleanor existed and when I finished Holt I thought that I was done, but I was surprised to see the wall of asphalt that is Eleanor after the bend. Booo!!!
Fun Stretch: Racing thru the Liberty Tunnels as a pack somewhere in the 30-45 mph range.

All in all this is definitely a fun event. It had a great vibe to because the whole pack stays together with the hill climbs being the only break out points in the ride. The pack then groups up to continue on to the next hill. We also got a group photo on top of Mt Washington which gives the ride a good feel.

I didn't really train for this as I decided to do it last minute, but was able to complete the ride. Although I must admit that after the 1st hill I had my doubts about completing it. Once I warmed up, I was good until about hill 12 and 13 which I suffered thru with a good thigh cramp coming and going. The hills that I never scouted were tough because you didn't know how much further they went or if there was another ascents around the corner. I was also surprised by how much fatigue I had in my triceps and lats from pulling on the handle bars during the steep ascents.

I would love to try this ride with a little more hill training and see how it feels. But for being a 200+ pound guy, I was very please with myself :)

Here are some pics (http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=12c66h1n.2ft7uk73&x=0&y=reqch0 ). Please let me know if Ofoto lets you view the slideshow. If not, I will upload them to the forum.

BURCH

Too Tall
11-26-2007, 05:06 PM
Wimper! You sir, rock :)

cadence231
11-26-2007, 05:41 PM
That's great!

Bud_E
11-26-2007, 05:57 PM
My knees ache just looking at the pictures. Nice going!

rwsaunders
11-26-2007, 07:31 PM
Hats off to you and the group Burch. It was a cold one on Saturday too, as if you didn't notice. How was Berry Hill Road? Center Avenue is not a picnic either.

manet
11-26-2007, 07:37 PM
wow. ouch. yo (that was for roman meal).
it's like a paved deerfield. steeper yet.

chuckred
11-26-2007, 07:49 PM
I'd heard of that ride when I lived in Philly - sounds like a great time in a sick sort of way!

Fixed
11-26-2007, 07:58 PM
nice job good memories last a long time
cheers imho

Blue Jays
11-26-2007, 08:02 PM
That'll put some burn in the quadriceps! Congratulations!

DarrenCT
11-26-2007, 09:07 PM
love the pictures.

also, why is that guy in the trek beating everyone up the hill?

Blue Jays
11-26-2007, 09:51 PM
What's the total distance/mileage for this event? Any ideas on elevation change and feet of climbing?

sailorboy
11-26-2007, 10:03 PM
that ride is no joke. I shared the same self-doubts after the first couple of climbs when I rode. Great photos, thanks for sharing. Brings back some...well, it just brings back memories! :bike:

Viper
11-26-2007, 10:12 PM
Very cool ride, nice.

rwsaunders
11-26-2007, 11:36 PM
What's the total distance/mileage for this event? Any ideas on elevation change and feet of climbing?

Check the Rides, Events, Gatherings and Charity events section of the Forum for more info and links.

northbend
11-27-2007, 05:26 AM
Those are some real bar benders! Usually a photo doesn't convey a hills steepness which make your ride even more impressive and what about those few who are in the saddle instead of on the pedals? That ain't human

BURCH
11-27-2007, 08:14 AM
Hats off to you and the group Burch. It was a cold one on Saturday too, as if you didn't notice. How was Berry Hill Road? Center Avenue is not a picnic either.

That was the third hill, but I am drawing a blank on the meat of the hill. Did that have a big cemetary at the top? If it did, I didn't mind that hill too much, but I am sure if it was hill 12 or 13, I would have remembered it better.

BURCH
11-27-2007, 08:18 AM
love the pictures.

also, why is that guy in the trek beating everyone up the hill?

He is a friend the guy on the Cannondale. I have only met him one other time in which he won the mtn bike portion of an extreme triathlon. He grew up in Pgh, but has lived in Germany for the last few years. Maybe he went down to the Alps to ride every weekend while in Germany? I didn't get to talk to him too much during the ride to verify that theory. Nice guy with lots of energy.

BURCH
11-27-2007, 08:22 AM

Not sure about the elevation change, but I think the ride was around 50 miles. There were 13 hills, but if you know Pittsburgh you can't get from hill to hill without some climbing in between. There were lots of comments from the pack that the hills in between shoould have been counted also.

BURCH
11-27-2007, 08:30 AM
I also forgot to mention that one of the guys in our group (third guy from the left in the first photo) found that his rear derailer wouldn't work the morning of the event. He did the entire ride in his lowest gears which is not a problem on the hills, but made keeping up with the pack a high RPM pain in the backside during the downhills or flat sections. A mechanic on the ride looked at it and said not make a bad thing worse and leave it alone.

RABikes2
11-27-2007, 08:59 AM
Wow, you guys are animals! Way to go! Thanks for the great report and photos! The group photo overlooking downtown on top of Mt. Washington was terrific. The "hill" photos gave a super visual of the area. :p I met Danny on RAAM 2005 ... what a character. ;)

Born and raised in Pittsburgh, I left Castle Shannon in 1974. Pittsburgh is a town you don't ever forget and there's always a soft spot in your heart for the Pittsburgian talk, ways, and food. Somehow when you've been raised there and leave people know from your speech you're from there no matter how many years have passed. :rolleyes:

Thanks again for sharing the photos and your ride report. Ahhh ... the 'burg, a place of its own. You guys made it look so fun on bikes!

I've got the DD on the "to do" list. Big time (like the climbs) congrats!
"Yins" did great! :banana:
RA

BURCH
11-27-2007, 12:38 PM
Born and raised in Pittsburgh, I left Castle Shannon in 1974. Pittsburgh is a town you don't ever forget and there's always a soft spot in your heart for the Pittsburgian talk, ways, and food. Somehow when you've been raised there and leave people know from your speech you're from there no matter how many years have passed.
RA

You will love this video (http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=1527321414) then (especially if you are a "Stiller" Fan). It is an NFL film about how a lot of Pittsburghers left the city and that is why the Steelers travel so well