PDA

View Full Version : Who rides at lunch?

Steelhead
11-26-2007, 01:02 PM
Who here rides at lunch ? I'm recently engaged and we now live together, and my whole world has changed. I've got to do something different and am considering the lunch ride option. I can and sometimes do work from home in my office there, and can come and go with a flexible schedule.

Any pointers? This would be a new one for me and I'm afraid that 30-40 minutes on a weekday might have to suffice for now with the short daylight hours and such. I am alco considering an early AM winter training group that is starting up at my LBS, but that idea has yet to clear the domestic CFO.

Can anyone help?? :)

mister
11-26-2007, 01:14 PM
well i ride before work, during lunch and after work :D i commute by bike.

Fixed
11-26-2007, 01:22 PM
well i ride before work, during lunch and after work :D i commute by bike.
+1 cheers
break her in fast bro imho

Blue Jays
11-26-2007, 01:44 PM
A lunchtime ride would be a tad too short in my book. By the time I got geared-up, on the road, trained, returned, put the bike away, showered, and back to my work far more than an hour (or two...) would pass.

Nope, my plan is to continue with morning/evening rides (daylight permitting) coupled with longer weekend rides for the saddletime and gym workouts as needed.

mister
11-26-2007, 01:46 PM
A lunchtime ride would be a tad too short in my book. By the time I got geared-up, on the road, trained, returned, put the bike away, showered, and back to my work far more than an hour (or two...) would pass.

Nope, my plan is to continue with morning/evening rides (daylight permitting) coupled with longer weekend rides for the saddletime and gym workouts as needed.

+1

TimD
11-26-2007, 01:50 PM
I'm riding in excess of 5000 miles a year, mostly at lunch. Stand up to sit back down is typically 80-90 minutes, with 20 or so miles covered in between. I eat at my desk.

I also join a 22-mile ride which starts at 0545. With a 3-mile ride to the start I'm up at 0505 or 0510, depending. Full lights are required for a significant portion of the year. Some days there's a 30-degree temperature differential between 0600 and 1300 hrs, which can complicate the ride prep (e.g., just because it is early October doesn't mean you can ride in knickers).

If you love cycling, and your beloved is questioning your love of cycling, you might want to have some open and honest communication of what you (each) love, before the marriage and especially before you have kids.

Good luck -
Tim

Blue Jays
11-26-2007, 01:56 PM
"...If you love cycling, and your beloved is questioning your love of cycling, you might want to have some open and honest communication of what you (each) love, before the marriage and especially before you have kids..."TimD, excellent point above. A young man or young woman shouldn't have to defend a truly beneficial activity like cycling to someone about to become a wife or husband in the very near future. Heck, a well-adjusted mate should be sending their partner out the door with helmet-and-gloves-in-hand in order to get a solid workout. That cardiovascular benefit is what will allow the two people to happily grow old together. Excellent post.

GregL
11-26-2007, 02:56 PM
I'm riding in excess of 5000 miles a year, mostly at lunch. Stand up to sit back down is typically 80-90 minutes, with 20 or so miles covered in between. I eat at my desk.Tim

Sounds very familiar. Are you one of my co-workers? :) I work for a very employee-friendly company that encourages fitness. We have a gym and locker rooms at our facility, making bicycle commuting and lunch rides much easier. On any given day with temps at or above freezing and ice-free roads, anywhere from two to eight people ride. We'll usually break up into a slower, recreational group and a fast-paced group. The fast group averages 20-22 mph pace and typically covers 19 miles. Those that want to hammer stay on the front, those looking for an easier workout sit in. Without these rides, there would be no way for me to maintain race-worthy fitness. Other bonuses include a better attitude with my co-workers and more time at home with my family!

If you love cycling, and your beloved is questioning your love of cycling, you might want to have some open and honest communication of what you (each) love, before the marriage and especially before you have kids.

Absolutely +1! My wife knows that getting my daily hour of excercise is crucial to my mental and physical health. Likewise, I make sure that she too gets her workout time. Now that our daughter is in school, my wife meets me for lunchtime rides. On days when I can't ride due to travel or meetings, my wife still rides with my co-workers at lunch!

Regards,
Greg

spiderman
11-26-2007, 03:00 PM
and ride at noon most days
for about an hour.
it's a great way to break up the day.
i had a friend join me today.
we rode for an hour
then read the first seven verses of psalm 145
in a lectio format...
...very nice...

BURCH
11-26-2007, 03:11 PM
I work from a home office and get out during lunch. I am lucky that I can come back at 1pm and sit at my desk in bike cloths and while work and cooling down.

I also can get everything ready to go in the moring in terms of tire pressure and such. I go out for about a 45-50 minute ride and be back at my desk. I like it versus the trainer in this time of year. I usually take a shower after I cool down if nothing is pressing at work. But I do find myself working in bike garb until 5pm sometimes...