PDA

View Full Version : Forum lurkers click here

CNY rider
11-25-2007, 07:40 PM
Interesting article in the Times Magazine today about lurkers on boards.
Snippet posted below.
I remember a thread a while ago asking the lurkers to step up to the mic, say Hi, and get to know folks around here.
Shall we give it another try?

From the New York Times, by Virginia Heffernan:
For years, Iíve spent hours a day on Web sites devoted variously to television, finance, consumer electronics, celebrity gossip, furniture design, health anomalies and real estate. To the sitesí message boards, which I follow almost as avidly as I did the first seasons of ďDamagesĒ and ďMad Men,Ē Iíve contributed a total of three overwritten comments. I can recall them verbatim. They sank like stones.

Mostly Iím O.K. with that. But every now and then, when the posters on these sites start muttering about ďlurkers,Ē I shudder like a Soviet mole in the Pentagon. Because, yes, I lurk: I visit boards but donít post; I read without writing; I take without giving. And Iím sorry.

If lurkers are condemned with less venom than other message-board scourges ó spammers (who post ads), trolls (who promote controversy) and sock puppets (who burnish their own reputations under aliases) ó this may be only because lurkers are ubiquitous. Everyone, even those lightning-fingered I.M. fiends who must never stop typing, has to lurk sometime, even if only while reading reviews on Chowhound or Makeup Alley.

scrubadub
11-25-2007, 08:05 PM
Guess I'll post the first lurker reply, see if that kicks off anything. I think it's my second post (EDIT: 3rd)... some of us just like being quiet.

Used to be a wannabe racer in college, did some tris for awhile, and now I ride for fun with friends. Trying to get into adventure racing but I don't have any time. I do collect steel bikes though.

shanerpvt
11-25-2007, 08:08 PM
I do collect steel bikes though.

watcha got?

navclbiker
11-25-2007, 08:16 PM
Dave. From Virginia. I'm the #1 Lurker here. I Lurk because I yearn for biking knowledge which is more abundant here than anywhere else I know. I'm one of those undereducated people that have a carbon stay on his new CDA and paid too much for too flashy a paint job. (Cuz it's all about the ride...right? ;) )

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=33492

I Don't yet do all the wrenching on my own bikes. I'll take a class this spring to fix that. I have never entered a race and I probably never will be strong enough to do so. Anyhoo, I'm a military musician by trade and I am biking more now than ever before. If anybody needs advice from a classical clarinet geek, I'll be lurking.... :beer:

regularguy412
11-25-2007, 08:17 PM
-- the abovecited's position. It seems that lurking is somewhat encouraged by some forums. If posters are not in the 'clicque', their posts are often met with derision or, just as bad, ignored altogether.

Much of what is related on forums is primarily anecdotal; that is, shared as a result of the poster's own experience. Often what is shared is neither completely 'right' or 'wrong'; it's just 'different'. What works for one will not necessarily work for another. However, it _MAY_. That's what makes forums and message boards important. No one person has a monopoly on what works and what doesn't.

It's pretty easy for some to utilize the benefit of electronic anonymity to summarily dismiss another's opinion. IMHO, we should all remember that there are real persons behind those monikers and they are here mostly for the same reasons the others are: to share and gain information. It's up to each person to decide whether that information is viable and applicable to his or her own individual situation.

When we discourage the sharing of knowledge, everyone suffers.

Mike in AR

PS - CNY, thanks for posting.

eisenm
11-25-2007, 08:30 PM
I have been using the forum for valuable opinions, checking it regularly since 2003. It is now hard to make decisions on parts without it. I appreciate the forum, and will likely continue keeping a low profile for years to come. My favorite ride is my 2003 Concours, but my 1994 CR is now veiled as a white single speed winter bike -- love it, too.

edouard
11-25-2007, 08:35 PM

Stevep, on the other hand, scares me with his complete lack of manners. I wish that he would be more considerate of others' feelings, and stop displaying that unibomber style of his.

this time of year, doesnt he move into an ice shanty

gomez308
11-25-2007, 08:37 PM
I mostly lurk. I'll post every once and awhile. There is a lot of stupid out there on the interweb and I try to keep mine to a minimum. ;)

swoop
11-25-2007, 08:39 PM
the whole point of all these opinions is to pick out the ones that fit your experiences and help you deepen your understanding, or question your own when you're challenged. provoking thought is a good thing, no?

no one here claims ownership of THE truth.... but i think we all encourage thinking and feeling out loud about what we like and dislike and don't mind deconstructing or beliefs.

what i walk away with is an better understanding of why i think about things the way i do... and why a bike feels god or bad to me... the bike doesn't care how or what i think.. but i do.

so.. confirmation is nice and all... but i learn more when i'm challenged to think about what i think.

Louis
11-25-2007, 08:44 PM
I just want to say that Roman Meal's posts are just genius. He's funny, enlightened, a delight to read.

You forgot handsome and a real stud on the bike :cool:

Skrawny
11-25-2007, 08:46 PM
Great post. I've been lurking here for awhile, and I just want to say that Roman Meal's posts are just genius. He's funny, enlightened, a delight to read.
Stevep, on the other hand, scares me with his complete lack of manners. I wish that he would be more considerate of others' feelings, and stop displaying that unibomber style of his.

Thanks for reading this post, and I'll try to post more in the future, but I'll never hold a light to Roman's brilliant quips.

I've been waiting for that post.
Temped to do it myself, but I figured I'd jusk keep lurking.
-s

CNY rider
11-25-2007, 09:06 PM
this time of year, doesnt he move into an ice shanty
I think you might be thinking of our friend Your Friend!
He is a penguin after all!

manet
11-25-2007, 09:17 PM

e-RICHIE
11-25-2007, 09:39 PM
well okay (http://www.swoop4u.org/public/) then atmo.

Bud_E
11-25-2007, 09:46 PM
I started out lurking for quite a while. It took me months to work up the nerve to finally post something. Now I'm at the point where I lovingly admire the wisdom contained in all of my own previous posts and smugly comment out loud at the monitor when I read anybody else's clearly inferior posts.

I can't understand why my wife says she's worried about me.

swoop
11-25-2007, 09:56 PM
well okay (http://www.swoop4u.org/public/) then atmo.

deep inside i am a woman.

stevep
11-25-2007, 10:00 PM
roman meal is ted kacinski in real life.

no shiite.

i fear busting his chops...

scrubadub
11-25-2007, 10:30 PM
watcha got?

My main ride is a Spectrum steel bike that I'll get repainted one of these days (I took it to South Africa and the sea salt in Cape Town did a number on my paint chips and chain stay). Plus my tastes are changing and I think I'll have Tom build me a nice matching steel fork. It's got an Ouzo Pro at the moment.

I also have an Anvil time trial bike (steel NACA tubes!) that was originally meant for long distance tris. It sat unbuilt in my garage until this year because medical school got in the way of serious training. Just started riding it but I'm not quite used to the TT position but it's a gorgeous bike.

taz-t is sending along his Ritchey Logic soon and I'm somewhere in line for one of e-ritchie's creations in about 5 years time.

Other bikes: Kogswell fixed P/R awaiting a front rack, a partially assembled Bontrager CX, a Mondia Super awaiting restoration that was handed down to me by my grandfather, a junky Bianchi track bike (soon to be sold), and a Bridgestone MB-2 in bad condition bequeathed to me by an old roommate. As you can see, I like projects (although they tend to spend years in the garage before any forward progress occurs).

The odd bike out is my Klein hardtail.

It's disturbing to actually list out everything.

Wayne77
11-25-2007, 10:31 PM
lurking is harmless, but calling someone out in a thread they may never see is bad form.

shanerpvt
11-25-2007, 10:36 PM
My main ride is a Spectrum steel bike that I'll get repainted one of these days (I took it to South Africa and the sea salt in Cape Town did a number on my paint chips and chain stay). Plus my tastes are changing and I think I'll have Tom build me a nice matching steel fork. It's got an Ouzo Pro at the moment.

I also have an Anvil time trial bike (steel NACA tubes!) that was originally meant for long distance tris. It sat unbuilt in my garage until this year because medical school got in the way of serious training. Just started riding it but I'm not quite used to the TT position but it's a gorgeous bike.

taz-t is sending along his Ritchey Logic soon and I'm somewhere in line for one of e-ritchie's creations in about 5 years time.

Other bikes: Kogswell fixed P/R awaiting a front rack, a partially assembled Bontrager CX, a Mondia Super awaiting restoration that was handed down to me by my grandfather, a junky Bianchi track bike (soon to be sold), and a Bridgestone MB-2 in bad condition bequeathed to me by an old roommate. As you can see, I like projects (although they tend to spend years in the garage before any forward progress occurs).

The odd bike out is my Klein hardtail.

It's disturbing to actually list out everything.

sounds like you have your hands full..........so many bikes.....so little time.

thank you so much for sharing!

Shaner

DarrenCT
11-25-2007, 10:47 PM
-- the abovecited's position. It seems that lurking is somewhat encouraged by some forums. If posters are not in the 'clicque', their posts are often met with derision or, just as bad, ignored altogether.

Much of what is related on forums is primarily anecdotal; that is, shared as a result of the poster's own experience. Often what is shared is neither completely 'right' or 'wrong'; it's just 'different'. What works for one will not necessarily work for another. However, it _MAY_. That's what makes forums and message boards important. No one person has a monopoly on what works and what doesn't.

It's pretty easy for some to utilize the benefit of electronic anonymity to summarily dismiss another's opinion. IMHO, we should all remember that there are real persons behind those monikers and they are here mostly for the same reasons the others are: to share and gain information. It's up to each person to decide whether that information is viable and applicable to his or her own individual situation.

When we discourage the sharing of knowledge, everyone suffers.

Mike in AR

PS - CNY, thanks for posting.

very well said. u are the oprah winfrey of this forum. lets all get along.

cheers
-d

terry b
11-25-2007, 11:05 PM
I'm a semi-lurker here, and a far more prolific poster on RBR.

I lurk here because I generally like the discussions on gear, and I really like the gallery. I've put a number of bikes in there with many kind comments.

I also lurk here because I think it's hard to have an unpopular opinion on this forum and this is one area I think that this forum differs significantly from RBR. The Frame forum there rarely sees nasty, personal comments on the choices people make about their gear (see the recent "CF on a steel frame" discussion or one from a few months ago about brand consciousness.) However, the RBR Lounge forum does offer a far more "gloves off" approach to discourse, but generally not about bikes. This forum seems to be a morph of the two and the in-crowd group-think gets a bit wearisome for me. So I take the nuggets where I can and chuckle at the rest.

Demographically, I'm guessing this place is probably the closest to my situation in terms of age, money and education. Which is why I find it so interesting that I feel far more comfortable lurking than playing.

Ah well, back to mute.

DarrenCT
11-25-2007, 11:10 PM
http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/438/sacrificeter0.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Louis
11-25-2007, 11:15 PM
it's hard to have an unpopular opinion on this forum and this is one area I think that this forum differs significantly from RBR. The Frame forum there rarely sees nasty, personal comments on the choices people make about their gear

Terry, it's because we care and we love ... :)

I don't think there's too much "nasty, personal" stuff here. Some guys pop off every now and then, but I don't think they do it to the newbies.

Louis

terry b
11-25-2007, 11:16 PM
It's already taken.

swoop
11-25-2007, 11:30 PM
steve and i yammering about steel frames and carbon ends... is a thread without negatives. steve is the OP in the thread and he's a sweetheart of a guy and puts out a good 400 watts more than me... and talking bikes is how we relate. i like the dude tons.

this is coffee talk about bikes by guys that love bikes... we don't have to agree... but this is the exact way we (my biker friends) talk when we ride together....
why do people get so nervous about this stuff?

jeez. should we change this to an affirmation forum or can we enjoy the passions of relating about different ways into the hole?

having different opinions is rich!!!!!!!

and as a bonus it tends to make the threads an entertaining read....

terry b
11-25-2007, 11:39 PM
steve and i yammering about steel frames and carbon ends... is a thread without negatives. steve is the OP in the thread and he's a sweetheart of a guy and puts out a good 400 watts more than me... and talking in bikes is how we relate. i like the dude tons.

this is coffee talk about bikes by guys that love bikes... we don't have to agree... but this is the exact way we (my biker friends) talk when we ride together....
why do people get so nervous about this stuff?

jeez. should we change this to an affirmation forum or can we enjoy the passions of relating about different ways into the hole?

Hey, thanks for an illustration of what I was talking about.

No, this doesn't need to be an affirmation forum, and everyone doesn't need to agree. All I'm saying is that if you and your riding pals enjoy talking to each other that way, it's cool for you. It's just not cool for everyone (I'd find another group to ride with, because I get plenty of negative energy in my career and don't need it in my spare time.) What's important is that it works for you and your pals and the lurkers of the world will come and pick out what they want and coexistance is easily achieved.

Why do people get nervous about it? Well, I don't think that's the issue. Let's just say not everyone is on-line looking for coffee talk, or comments that might get someone decked in the real world.

But the question at hand was why people lurk - well, it's because not everyone enjoys the style of discourse in this forum, or RBR, or bikeforums.net or Velonews or bicycling.com. Which is why every forum has its core team, its outer fringes and its lurkers. All that matters is that everyone has a home they can enjoy.

Viper
11-25-2007, 11:44 PM
I also lurk here because I think it's hard to have an unpopular opinion on this forum and this is one area I think that this forum differs significantly from RBR...However, the RBR Lounge forum does offer a far more "gloves off" approach to discourse, but generally not about bikes. This forum seems to be a morph of the two and the in-crowd group-think gets a bit wearisome for me. So I take the nuggets where I can and chuckle at the rest.

But the question at hand was why people lurk - well, it's because not everyone enjoys the style of discourse in this forum, or RBR, or bikeforums.net or Velonews or bicycling.com. Which is why every forum has its core team, its outer fringes and its lurkers. All that matters is that everyone has a home they can enjoy.

Didn't everyone from RBR bail, move to CO and join metafilter? What happened to Spirito, wasn't there some huge apology to him from the powers-that-be? If Spirito is on metafilter, please let us know.

Serotta Forum seems wittier, more ATMOsphere.

swoop
11-25-2007, 11:48 PM
notice steve's comments. go reread the thread where he mentions landshark and notice that i offer to hook him up with slwata through tony cruz's manager and harrison ford's son and former local pro... willard... who worked with landshark. part of that help involves a discount... on whatever frame steve decides is right for him.
and tell me how you find that to be rude? it seems sort of caring and genuine to me.
notice that i prefaced my first comment with compliments to steve.. which are also genuine....

and then notice how people tend to share both similar and divergent views

to me its a great progression about how people feel about steel and carbon and is an inherently insightful thread... and rich with texture.
notice 1700 plus views on the thread.. it must resonate or entertain on some level...
how this becomes a negative mystifies me.

e-RICHIE
11-25-2007, 11:55 PM
that's atmo also.

and as a bonus it tends to make the threads an entertaining read....
fully gets it.

terry b
11-25-2007, 11:58 PM
Actually, it wasn't your comments I was referring to.

Read the whole thing again, pick out the part where someone questions the negative attitude towards owners and their choices. That's what I'm talking about.

But the irony here is this need to defend - you honestly shouldn't give a rip about my opinion, I'm a lurker. It's your forum, I'm on mute, carry on however you want.

terry b
11-25-2007, 11:59 PM
Didn't everyone from RBR bail, move to CO and join metafilter? What happened to Spirito, wasn't there some huge apology to him from the powers-that-be?

If Spirito is on metafliter, please let us know.

Spirito got accused, the mod was wrong, he apologized. That's about all I know.

Viper
11-26-2007, 12:04 AM

TerryB FTW.

I'm thinking of buying a new frame. I want the vertical pieces to be steel, horizontal pieces to be carbon fiber, angled pieces to be titanium and the fork MUST be fully carbon because it'll make me faster over bumps and look cool. :D Oh and it must have white bar tape.

PS. TB, just sign everything with 'atmo' and you'll be a regular!

(atmo)

m_moses
11-26-2007, 12:13 AM
Frankly, I think this place could use more lurkers.

Viper
11-26-2007, 12:29 AM
Frankly, I think this place could use more lurkers.

Do you mean more should go back to lurking or more lurkers should post? :D

Moses hath spoke atmo:

Climb01742
11-26-2007, 04:59 AM
I also lurk here because I think it's hard to have an unpopular opinion on this forum

i think terry has a quite a valid point. within a narrow range, there is a deep of opinion here. but there isn't as much breadth of opinion or true acceptance of diversity.

i've used my internal edit feature a lot the last few months, simply not wishing to deal with people telling me that an opinion, based on my personal experience, isn't valid because it doesn't jibe with their personal experience.

one interesting tidbit: i'd venture to say that 11.4 may be the most knowledgeable person here. has he ever personally dissed anyone or any opinion? his knowledge seems remarkably free of arrogance or condescension, yet is loaded with generosity.

i'm not sure what the answer is but i'd guess this would be a richer, more interesting forum if folks like terry felt more inclined to share. he certainly has good taste in bikes.

corky
11-26-2007, 06:43 AM
:rolleyes: Hey Dropship...... go back to being a Lurker please!

Bruce K
11-26-2007, 06:52 AM
Those twicky wascally wabbits.

BK

52-16SS
11-26-2007, 07:31 AM
Got to lurk here primarily because of the classifieds, which I've found to be a reputable place to shop. Since then I drift over to the general forum once in a while to see what rocks the boat in the world of Serotta owners.

William
11-26-2007, 08:06 AM
All are welcome children!

All are welcome! :banana:

Poster, Fringe, Lurker......
I'm all of the above.

William

PS: Climb, maybe it's just me, but 11.4 gives off a BigMac vibe. At least that's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

Lifelover
11-26-2007, 08:20 AM
And I got banned for a week because of it.

Viper
11-26-2007, 08:36 AM
And I got banned for a week because of it.

Wow. Did not know and that advances the notion that no forum is perfect; what took place with Spirito was 'illegal' :rolleyes: in terms of the internet and a shining example of how flawed that place/those Mods can be. Amazing how nobody seemed to speak up, those who actually cry out there how they want the place to be better etc were meek in the face of injustice. Indeed, RBR had a mass exodus of those who fled to metafliter or Colorado (I think they are one and the same). Power on a Mod level can be a funny thing.

Forums...it's like High School, there is always a cool crowd, the Preppy, the jocks, the comedians, the dirtbags, the nerds/geeks and the shy outsiders. I think S.E. Hinton posts in General once in a while. :confused:

The disconnects take place when a geek gets frustrated from his/her own lack of cool, or lack of wit, just doesn't own enough Izod (with alligator) and takes his/her own toys elsewhere etc etc. It's always easier to stand 50' from the keg, no cup, no Izod shirt only to complain the party sucks and the music does too. The internet/web/org/.com is a slice of life or a peloton; we're not all equal even though a piece of paper tells us we are.

atmo.

Sandy
11-26-2007, 08:48 AM
Everyone should do what he or she is comfortable with, whether it be lurking or posting a great deal. Obviously, there is no right or wrong. It is what works for you. We, who post a great deal, cannot gain the wisdom, insight, interaction, and content that lurkers possess since they obviously don't share that with us. That is our loss.

Friendships- The more that you post and interact, the greater the chance of developing genuine friendships. I was a loner before I started cycling, and the Serotta forum has immeasurably added to those who I consider as friends. There is a camaraderie, and genuine friendships that are produced if you interact openly on the forum.

Sometimes you may not like what people say to you or about you. I surely know that as I am one of the most sensitive people here, relative to what people say to or about me. But on balance, participation is a real positive. You can learn a great deal, and post both cycling and off topic questions pertinent to you. Ask a question and you will get some genuine and wonderful responses.

I post a great deal and have very limited cycling knowledge and really don't know too much about much of anything, but I ask questions and start threads about items of interest to me, whether that be hill climbing improvement, friendships, cost of bicycles, pit bulls,.....It all adds to your knowledge base and as you add to that base, you make friends, just by the process of interacting. No one here scores you, as there is no score.

Lurk if you want to lurk...absolutely fine...but active participation would probably be better for both you and those of us who do participate.

Sandy

dwightskin
11-26-2007, 08:58 AM
I'm a lurker and don't even ride Serotta anymore (but the frame still hangs in my basement - what price art?).

Here's what I like about this board.

1) Bike Porn. There are some serious $$$ being spent and I love the pics.
2) Real Opinions on Tested Gear. I just got the BuyCycling January Issue and it had 11 trainers that are really great. You know what? Cyclops and Kurt fluid trainers weren't on the list! A quick search of this Forum shows that those two are held in high regard.
3) Good deals on the Classifieds. There is a slightly higher level of trust here than there is on Ebay.

Dwight
MPLS, MN

Len J
11-26-2007, 09:47 AM
Actually, it wasn't your comments I was referring to.

Read the whole thing again, pick out the part where someone questions the negative attitude towards owners and their choices. That's what I'm talking about.

But the irony here is this need to defend - you honestly shouldn't give a rip about my opinion, I'm a lurker. It's your forum, I'm on mute, carry on however you want.

It's interesting to me that I had the opposite reaction to that thread.......I thought it got heated at one point but calmed down pretty quickly to a really good discussion. The reactions in that thread said more about the people posting than about the issue to me.

This forum, like others, is, to me, a take what you need and leave the rest, kind of thing. It has a little more "edge" to it than some others, it has a little more "inside" stuff (mainly, I think, do to the inside historical bike industry relationships), (although it's hard to look at the lounge on RBR as not full of inside stuff that just comes from frequency of posting), and it has a ton of knowledge.

It also has a subsection of posters (like all forums) that I just don't read...they don't speak to me.

I think terry, that if you posted your same posts from this thread on RBR, you would get some of the same responses........someone would feel the need to defend.....someone would try to convince you you were wrong.........

Once you know the characters, like anywhere, I know who to listen to and more importantly, about what.

Obviously, YMMV, and does as you've brought this up before.

Len

I H8Rabbits
11-26-2007, 10:52 AM
Hey, Cool bikes

Funny people,

Great info,

Sock puppets,

And cool music.

What's not to like.......c'ept rabbits.

Yeah, ih8rabbits.

2LeftCleats
11-26-2007, 12:02 PM
I generally lurk and rarely post for several reasons.

Cycling fascinates me and this forum offers more info than any other. I ride a lot but donít race and have relatively limited knowledge of the sportís esoterica. For me, riding is something like drinking wine. Iíve not experienced enough bikes to develop the palate (or butt, if you will) for meaningful distinction that many forumites have and thus feel my offerings are limited.

Articles on technique and equipment hold great interest. Iíve been riding for years, yet still feel like a neophyte. I want to absorb as much as I can. There are some wonderful discussions, e.g. 11.4ís recent authoritative discussion of cold weather cycling shoes. I echo the other comments about what an asset he is to this column. He doesnít speak often, but heís sort of like E.F. Hutton. There are several others whose depth of experience is greatly appreciated. My hunch is that posters and lurkers alike on this site are generally a little older and more experienced than elsewhere.

The forum can seem a bit ďclubbyĒ. There is a core group that knows one another well and post comments that mean little to me.

The depth and breadth of ďOTĒ knowledge on display in this forum is amazing. One could post a question on the nocturnal urinary habits of sloths, and have multiple responses by the end of the day. (This was just a hypotheticalóplease donít respond). A subject occasionally arises that I have some interest/knowledge to share and I try to do so.

This forum offers much for many, and in a variety of ways. I often feel guilty that Iím quietly sponging up information and leaving little behind. I contribute when Iíve got a meaningful comment thatís not been better stated by another and except for this particular post Iíve done a pretty good job of that.

DarrenCT
11-26-2007, 01:26 PM
wow this thread is like the jerrry springer show imho

fiamme red
11-26-2007, 02:07 PM
Didn't everyone from RBR bail, move to CO and join metafilter? What happened to Spirito, wasn't there some huge apology to him from the powers-that-be? If Spirito is on metafilter, please let us know.I never followed the Road Bike Review forum, but I do know Spirito. I bought a Colnago from him that I still own.

He's probably surfing on Bondi Beach right now. :beer:

73Camaro_Dude
11-26-2007, 02:38 PM
Is that you cant get a STD from lurking...

You cannot be associated with an STD...

Your words cannot be twisted, interpreted, or pulled from the archives saying that you had, have, used to have, desired, bought/sold, or pretended to have an STD.

In fact I have even met some lurkers. One lurker I have seen over at RBR, has been a member/lurker since the beginning of time and has like 34 posts. I like that guy.

I'm politically against posts for no reason. RBR is filled with "+1" and "eleventy" posts, and for a while ran amuck with "I'd hit it" or "post a pic" posts simply to increase their post counts. For what though? Not like you get a complimentary t-shirt or shot glass. Its weird. There is one dude over there with some 30 million posts or something. ***?

People here have seemed to be knowledgeable, less apt to post meaningless drivel... and oft seem to lay basis on their claims by fact and experience, rather than by the mass belief or their own bias. So... I lurk here and do my best not to clutter up the forum.

Lifelover
11-26-2007, 02:48 PM

Your words cannot be twisted, interpreted, or pulled from the archives saying that you had, have, used to have, desired, bought/sold, or pretended to have an STD.

In fact I have even met some lurkers. One lurker I have seen over at RBR, has been a member/lurker since the beginning of time and has like 34 posts. I like that guy.

I'm politically against posts for no reason. RBR is filled with "+1" and "eleventy" posts, and for a while ran amuck with "I'd hit it" or "post a pic" posts simply to increase their post counts. For what though? Not like you get a complimentary t-shirt or shot glass. Its weird. There is one dude over there with some 30 million posts or something. ***?

People here have seemed to be knowledgeable, less apt to post meaningless drivel... and oft seem to lay basis on their claims by fact and experience, rather than by the mass belief or their own bias. So... I lurk here and do my best not to clutter up the forum.

+1

atdamico
11-26-2007, 02:51 PM
Well, I have been lurking for a few weeks. Just trying to learn. I currently ride an internet special fitness bike (Ibex). Straight handlebars, thumb gears, weighs in at around 30 LBs. I ride about 5 days a week, regardless of weather, but not usually more than 10 miles a pop. I tried a 50 mile group ride last summer but my legs cramped at 32.7 miles. I live in NC and I am tired of my friends in Colorado telling me about their 50-100K rides where they average 20 mph with their average cadence around 70-75. So after much *****ing, I believe my wife got me a new bike (Serotta Concours Ti) for X-mas. Which is what brought me to this site! My averages right now are around 17 mph with average cadence around 60-65 so I am hoping that with a better bike perhaps I can increase my speed enough to actually do a few group rides. At my current speed I have a tough time keeping up. It takes a LOT of effort to push my bike to those averages. Oh, and most of my CO friends are in their 30's and 40's while I am pushing 57. Cheers to everyone. :beer:

Lifelover
11-26-2007, 03:06 PM
Well, I have been lurking for a few weeks. Just trying to learn. I currently ride an internet special fitness bike (Ibex). Straight handlebars, thumb gears, weighs in at around 30 LBs. I ride about 5 days a week, regardless of weather, but not usually more than 10 miles a pop. I tried a 50 mile group ride last summer but my legs cramped at 32.7 miles. I live in NC and I am tired of my friends in Colorado telling me about their 50-100K rides where they average 20 mph with their average cadence around 70-75. So after much *****ing, I believe my wife got me a new bike (Serotta Concours Ti) for X-mas. Which is what brought me to this site! My averages right now are around 17 mph with average cadence around 60-65 so I am hoping that with a better bike perhaps I can increase my speed enough to actually do a few group rides. At my current speed I have a tough time keeping up. It takes a LOT of effort to push my bike to those averages. Oh, and most of my CO friends are in their 30's and 40's while I am pushing 57. Cheers to everyone. :beer:

I've been looking at the Ibex Corrida for some time. Don't expect too much speed gain from the new bike and don't give up on the Ibex. Put some 32 plus size tires on it. Flat bar road bike have thier place ATMO.

If you do decide to dump it let me know.

deechee
11-26-2007, 03:30 PM
"Iíve contributed a total of three overwritten comments. I can recall them verbatim. They sank like stones."

Ditto. semi-lurker I guess. post stuff, and no one replies. Makes you want to not bother coming back. As others have already stated,

a) cliques here, people who know each other and talk within themselves. Some people have strong relations with Serotta employees and have very strong opinions about the company. (I would prefer a place where users could talk about the not-so-good experiences. No one is perfect.)

b) impossible to keep track of replies on the forum. unless you're the original poster (? maybe) you don't know if people are replying to your post. Be it the original post, or a reply to the post. People make replies to other replies...

c) loose tongue on some posters - I'm sure people are more reserved in person; would you tell person A their made in china bike is beneath them?

d) opposite side: overly sensitive people. This board can have many righteous and harsh criticism of non-PC language.

e) the depth and knowledge demonstrated in some of the posts are above my head. I don't know what a colnago feels like, or what a medical condition xyz means. But I still learn a lot from it.

atdamico
11-26-2007, 03:47 PM
I've been looking at the Ibex Corrida for some time. Don't expect too much speed gain from the new bike and don't give up on the Ibex. Put some 32 plus size tires on it. Flat bar road bike have thier place ATMO.

If you do decide to dump it let me know.

That's the model I have. Its the 3.3 model from 2005. I'm hoping that I will gain a little more speed due to two specific items. First, the weight of the bike but mainly the straight up handle bars keep me way to upright and pushing my body through the wind is brutal. One can only bend over so much, comfortably, with straight handlebars. I am only interested in speed for one reason. Group rides. As a fitness bike I have no complaints. In the group rides around here they basically break them down into two groups. Advanced rider and novice riders. The novice rider group is described as a leisurly ride of around 17 mph. Averaging that for any distance on my current bike takes maximum effort. And for the record, I am about 160lbs, 5'10", in fantastic shape. Do weight/strength training several times per week for over 20+ years. Swam competitivly, and still swim quite a bit. Wakeboard, play tennis, and just about anything that gets me moving. So after 3 years at the Ibex, not being able to get any faster all makes me believe that I am currently pushing it as fast as it can go. Happy to take this offline via pm if you want to discuss the Ibex. I've added several upgrades.

Viper
11-26-2007, 03:48 PM

That's all great stuff, but how do you feel about Miami Vice (see thread on the forum). You were 35 when it came out, what say you?

Fixed
11-26-2007, 03:50 PM
hi my name is fixed I have a posting fetish .....
cheers imho

Viper
11-26-2007, 03:52 PM

The latest over there is, "Just sayin'." It seems to have progressed from, "+1" or, "+ eleventy." I can't live without Spirito, I'd sooner hand over my lightsaber to the nearest stormtrooper.

I can't find a pic of 73Camaro_Dude, but I think this *could* be him or his cousin, just sayin':

swoop
11-26-2007, 03:56 PM
hi my name is fixed I have a posting fetish .....
cheers imho
fixed.. you're on 8020...i'm just pushing 2700.. let me catch up you stud.

atdamico
11-26-2007, 03:58 PM
That's all great stuff, but how do you feel about Miami Vice (see thread on the forum). You were 35 when it came out, what say you?

As I lived in Fort Lauderdale for 25 years before leaving about 15 years ago, and as I lived in Florida in the heyday of the program let me say...I never missed an episode. Now what does that say about me... :confused:

Fixed
11-26-2007, 04:05 PM
fixed.. you're on 8020...i'm just pushing 2700.. let me catch up you stud.
i'll wait on top of the next hill bro
cheers
bro i just talk trash your talk is the real thing
imho

Viper
11-26-2007, 04:25 PM
As I lived in Fort Lauderdale for 25 years before leaving about 15 years ago, and as I lived in Florida in the heyday of the program let me say...I never missed an episode. Now what does that say about me... :confused:

Dear atdamico,

This is great news. Beneficial you are indeed, you know a great deal about Miami Vice. If I am ever on a game show and need a Vice lifeline, I'll call you. Plus, you must have some awesome Vice-esque stories to share; go check out the Vice Appreciation Thread and let it rip.

Regards,
Viper

MysteryGuest
11-26-2007, 04:46 PM
I have nothing to add

I will now go back to the shadows

MG

stevep
11-26-2007, 04:49 PM
I have nothing to add

MG

c 'mon mg.
you gotta have something..plumb the depths.
give swoop shiite for something he said last year...
the fun part is he will look it up..

where do you ride?
what kinda rides?
group rides?
no?
mt bike?

dig deep.

Viper
11-26-2007, 04:50 PM
I have nothing to add

MG

You have two other posts from a year ago...you can do it! Post about Miami Vice, if nothing else!

http://forums.thepaceline.net/search.php?searchid=319969

MysteryGuest
11-26-2007, 04:52 PM
c 'mon mg.
you gotta have something..plumb the depths.
give swoop shiite for something he said last year...
the fun part is he will look it up..

where do you ride?
what kinda rides?
group rides?
no?
mt bike?

dig deep.

Ok let me try

I like to put clothes pin on my naughty bits and parade around in my northwaves

for fun I ride without a saddle

MG

Sandy
11-26-2007, 04:54 PM
I have nothing to add

MG

You already added something by saying that you have nothing to add....give us a little more...tell us one thing about yourself....or about why you ride a bike.....something.....

Sandy

stevep
11-26-2007, 04:58 PM
Ok let me try

I like to put clothes pin on my naughty bits and parade around in my northwaves

for fun I ride without a saddle

MG

you were right.
go back to the shadows.

Sailorma
11-26-2007, 06:20 PM
Howdy Folks, I have been lurking for a couple of years now so I guess its time I got outed . I am an avid cyclist and find the information on this forum invaluable. There is such a wealth of knowledge and experience on this forum it is astounding.
I don't have the ching to purchase all the bike jewelery I would like but enjoy looking and living vicariously through others.
Bikes: Calfee Tetra Pro- Full campy record circa 2002, Bottechia Fixie, Ibis Mt Bike circa 1993

Lifelover
11-26-2007, 07:12 PM
[INDENT].....

b) impossible to keep track of replies on the forum. unless you're the original poster (? maybe) you don't know if people are replying to your post. Be it the original post, or a reply to the post. People make replies to other replies...

Try shifting to Hybrid mode

quaintjh
11-26-2007, 07:37 PM
I lurk because I used to manage a bikeshop in college and this is the closest to hanging out there as I've found. I was mostly wrenching at the time and didn't learn to contribute to the conversation--focused, you know.

Oh, and I know BBDave.

Jay

bronk
11-26-2007, 08:40 PM
I'm a lurker having only posted a couple times. In fact, I've been lurking since the forum was in the old original format (Am I the only one who misses Big Mac's input?). I've been road riding for many years and caught the riding bug in Boulder during the Red Zinger & Coors Classic heydey.

I'm interested in 3 things -- riding, wrenching and coveting bikes. I'd much rather be riding, installing a headset or cleaning a chain than reading or writing a response to this thread.

I've learned a tremendous amount from lurking and sincerely thank all on this forum who have contributed to my cycling education. On the other hand, I can't understand why some here take their bike to a mechanic to have their work done -- something about that isn't right.

I am the proud owner of a serotta CSI, colnago E-1 (a silky smooth ride), a calfee luna pro and a serotta legend ti -- a recent purchase from Serotta Andrew. I love 'em all.

I'll go back in my cave now.

Karin Kirk
11-26-2007, 08:53 PM
Oh, and I know BBDave.

Jay

That's OK, we won't hold that against you!

BumbleBeeDave
11-26-2007, 08:54 PM
Howdy Folks, I have been lurking for a couple of years now so I guess its time I got outed . I am an avid cyclist and find the information on this forum invaluable. There is such a wealth of knowledge and experience on this forum it is astounding.
I don't have the ching to purchase all the bike jewelery I would like but enjoy looking and living vicariously through others.
Bikes: Calfee Tetra Pro- Full campy record circa 2002, Bottechia Fixie, Ibis Mt Bike circa 1993

. . . but that stable you describe sounds like pretty good "jewelry" to me! with a collection like that to ride, you don't need to buy anything new!

BBD

BumbleBeeDave
11-26-2007, 08:58 PM
I lurk because I used to manage a bikeshop in college and this is the closest to hanging out there as I've found. I was mostly wrenching at the time and didn't learn to contribute to the conversation--focused, you know.

Oh, and I know BBDave.

Jay

. . . Jay, you say that as if it were a good thing . . .

I'm touched. I think you are doomed, but I'm touched!

BBD

ti_boi
11-26-2007, 09:44 PM
Don't be afraid to speak up lurkers!

cloudguy
11-26-2007, 09:45 PM
I live 8 miles from Boulder and love ridin' the long hill climbs around here. I got more into ridin' (rather than runnin') after I blew out my knee in a tele-skiin' accident a couple years ago, though I'm still skiin'.

I ride alot with a local club which is great for the long weekend rides (sometimes 50 people or more). There's also a pretty aggressive weekday ride I try to hang on. I did the Mt. Evans Hill Climb last year for the first time, and I'll try to improve this year. I just got a used '06 litespeed sienna, so I'm hoping the weight reduction will help some.

I have to admit I like this forum for the occasional controversy (I'm a bush-hater too), but stay for the fun (Your_Friend! is my favorite poster). I don't quite get the steel-is-real thing, though I rode a Schwin Paramount (waterford made) for a long time when I couldn't afford a new bike.

I am a research scientist in atmospheric science, though this topic hasn't come up on the forum, so I haven't had much to add. Thanks for all the wisdom shared.

northbend
11-26-2007, 10:13 PM
I first heard of this forum from my manager at work. She's a kindred soul when it comes to bikes. I have always been a bit of a bike geek - even at my 30th High School reunion last year some folks asked if I still was riding bikes like they remembered of me back in the day. The answer is yes, that has not changed. Current bikes are an old Bruce Gordon, a couple of Serotta Built Yo Eddy's and 7 year old Merlin Extralight. I cannot afford new bikes so the next best thing is to read about all of yours on this forum. thanks

fmbp
11-26-2007, 10:28 PM
How many posts must one man have,
Before he ceases to be a lurker?
The answer, my friend, is blowing in the wind,
The answer is blowing in the wind.

In all seriousness, I guess I'm a lurker too. Hell, I've been around since the hydromedia days as well. I've bought and sold things through the classifieds, and I post here and there where I feel as though I can contribute valuable information. Given that I post when I feel my input is useful, these opportunities are few and far between due to the vast knowledge of the members of this forum. I do love this board, though, and spend way, way too much time reading through its posts. There are a number of very kind and amazingly generous individuals here who are willing to provide input and help to those that they do not know any better than some random dude on the street (Thanks again Climb!).

For what it's worth, no Serottas in my stable, as I am still a poor grad student, but I do have a Moots Vamoots with Chorus, an IF Planet Cross with Veloce (purchased on the forum), a Surly Crosscheck commuter with a 105 group, and a Peugeot fixie.

e-RICHIE
11-26-2007, 10:33 PM
Hell, I've been around since the hydromedia days as well. .
this thread is a reunification situation atmo.
kahuna power.

swoop
11-26-2007, 10:36 PM

Oh, and I know BBDave.

Jay

this is so very much hanging at the mechanics bay drinking a beer with the doors closed... good call. its such a great indulgence...

LilBolt
11-26-2007, 11:10 PM
Northbend indeed is an agent of my master plan to spark interest in cycling or whatever to get folks away from their computers at work (or home for those who are virtual) and moving (and get a life away from work)! I've also 'discovered' other lurkers & participants on this forum who work for the same company that we do, and it has been great connecting with them outside the anonymity of this Forum. Also, I have learned a lot from some of the most challenging discussions here...even though they may have turned a bit personal (albeit because sometimes people took them personal, even if they weren't)...one such thread was resurrected today that has a very unfortunate 'link' to a generous person, and builder...the tone of the thread had nothing to do with him. Anyhow, I'm expecting to receive my Holland Exogrid soon (wheels from Ergott are waiting for it)...something I probably would never have discovered if it hadn't have been for that thread and a few others. The discussion here has often been a launch pad for me to explore and gain more knowledge about so many aspects of cycling so I can form my own opinions and gain my own experience. I've never raced, probably never will. I want to learn to wrench for myself. I want to ride more and not feel intimidated because I'm new to the sport. (Don't hate me because I use a triple on my CdA with carbon stays & fork) I want to meet more people like CinciJim who was a pleasure to have along with us for RSVP. This is a happy time in my life, and lurking on the forum just puts a cherry on the top. :D (Oh...personal note to Northbend, as Novice Rider would say "you'll get nothing & you'll like it" ;) )

Oakely-Erik
11-26-2007, 11:22 PM
I have been a lurker for about a year now and have guess I might as well say something. I am a true blue Minnesotan but I have one year left at Xavier University in Cincinnati before I head back north for good. My rides are a 1984 Batavus fixie conversion and a single speed converted GT timberline ridged mountain frame (the first bike I paid for myself and as a single speed it has been a blast to race). Basically I just ride and have fun doing it. This seems like the type of forum where most of the people feel this way. :beer:

PS Check out my post in the classifieds. http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=36393 I am looking to build a race bike up and I need parts. If anyone has any campy 9 speed stuff they are willing to part with I might be interested. I am on a tight budget and I know that more shimano stuff has been sold and it would probably be a lot cheaper. But what can I say, campy kicks A$% and I am willing to pay for quality.

Louis
11-26-2007, 11:47 PM
I post here and there where I feel as though I can contribute valuable information.

In case you hadn't noticed, around here that is NOT a requirement to post ;)

Oirad
11-27-2007, 06:14 PM
I lurk to learn from the sages on this list. If and when I have something to add, I will. So thanks to all.

Now, I'll go back to lurking.

oirad

e-RICHIE
11-27-2007, 06:15 PM
I lurk to learn from the sages on this list. If and when I have something to add, I will. So thanks to all.

Now, I'll go back to lurking.

oirad
love the screen name omta.

PBWrench
11-27-2007, 11:12 PM
Famous lurcher.

superunleaded
11-28-2007, 01:36 AM
love the screen name omta.
I wonder if his last name is geP

Oirad
11-28-2007, 08:56 AM