to yell across the road at riders for wearing shorts
when the temp is 40?

protocol different for tri-geeks?

SWorks4me
11-25-2007, 06:26 PM
do not acknowledge their existence.

BumbleBeeDave
11-25-2007, 06:28 PM
. . . just to make sure they didn't have hypothermia yet!

BBD

stevep
11-25-2007, 06:33 PM

always a mistake to talk to:
1 a triathlete
2. anyone on or near a recumbent
3. anyone who asks you why your bike is so expensive

Too Tall
11-25-2007, 06:35 PM
when the temp is 40?

Txt me. BFFL, TT.

Ginger
11-25-2007, 06:36 PM
when the temp is 40?

Only if you're carrying a nice set of woolies for them to put on.

swoop
11-25-2007, 06:47 PM
yelling is reserved for cars.

open expressions of disdain towards other cyclist come during specific times:
1) someone on a group ride with worn out shorts.
1a) white shorts that aren't double layered in the canyon area.
2) the dude you've never seen before moving up on the inside pushing you into traffic during a civil two-up paceline.
3) half-wheelers, dirty stinky kit wearers, and crack or meth heads that appear out of nowhere and try to sit on every now and again on pch.

big bottle users are derided on the message board afterwards for committing an aesthetic offense and mirror wearers are mocked from behind en vivo because they never seem to be looking in the mirrors when you come up on them and always panic when you pass.

in my world.

be nice to tri geeks.... because tri geeks know girls.... they're the cycling equivalent of the your buddy from childhood that finally came out and knows all the cute girls.

cadence231
11-25-2007, 06:53 PM
mirror wearers are mocked from behind en vivo because they never seem to be looking in the mirrors when you come up on them and always panic when you pass.

werd.

manet
11-25-2007, 06:55 PM
oh thank gawd. A.L. and i just let out siren
whooops and bell dings.

swoop
11-25-2007, 07:03 PM
just remember .. no matter how much you train or how skinny you are.... or how close you are to race shape... there's always some homeless dude on a 40lb rust bucket roadbike in tennis shoes that will appear at any odd time and ride you off his wheel while wearing burlap and Toughskin jeans.

H.Frank Beshear
11-25-2007, 07:09 PM
just remember .. no matter how much you train or how skinny you are.... or how close you are to race shape... there's always some homeless dude on a 40lb rust bucket roadbike in tennis shoes that will appear at any odd time and ride you off his wheel while wearing burlap and Toughskin jeans.

Swoopman speaks true

manet
11-25-2007, 07:09 PM

now now dont go rippin on his new zanc

Fixed
11-25-2007, 07:35 PM
40 pound rust bucket ?
bro they never way more that 37.5 lbs
imho cheers :beer:

Bud_E
11-25-2007, 08:33 PM
always a mistake to talk to:
2. anyone on or near a recumbent

Yes! Spawn of the devil!

A.L.Breguet
11-26-2007, 05:19 AM

bnewt07
11-26-2007, 06:11 AM
Yes! Spawn of the devil!

I've been wondering the forum 'view' on recumbents. My brother (a man of intermittently questionable taste) has just spent a shed load on a Bacchheta (sp?) and I personally think he looks a) unsafe and b) an idiot on it.

He has an evangelical zeal about it and recumbents in general. How long for I wonder.

Too Tall
11-26-2007, 06:11 AM

Clinchers :rolleyes:

stevep
11-26-2007, 06:20 AM
He has an evangelical zeal about it and recumbents in general. .

its this that is the problem.
they become the spanish inquisition... badgering anyone who has no interest... explaining why they are better in every way, trying to convert the heathen who just want to be left alone..

stay away from family gatherings at least until he falls off the fool thing a few times. when you see him in a sling..its ok to go back.

bnewt07
11-26-2007, 06:36 AM
they become the spanish inquisition... badgering anyone who has no interest... explaining why they are better in every way, trying to convert the heathen who just want to be left alone..

stay away from family gatherings at least until he falls off the fool thing a few times. when you see him in a sling..its ok to go back.

Excellent, and very true!

I pointed out to him that if they were so wonderful how come I see one on the roads about every decade?

BumbleBeeDave
11-26-2007, 06:40 AM
:p . . . Yeah, I think that often describes it. But not always. I've met some incredibly nice, unassuming guys who happen to ride recumbents.

Yes, I've seen the type you refer to, but they are a minority, and I think you just remember them more because they stand out from the "norm." There are those types around anyway . . . several years ago I went on a club hike and a guy showed up who had converted his Mercedes diesel wagon to run on used cooking oil. He'd start it up on regular fuel and then turn a valve that would switch it over to the cooking stuff, which was stored in an old hot water heater tank he'd rigged up in the cargo area. Of course the back of the car was unusable for cargo, and the whole car smelled like stir-fry, because he'd gotten that week's supply from a Chinese restaurant. For that matter, he smelled like stir-fry, too!

Anyway, he had the wild beard and the Berkies and the evangelical zeal--and he would simply not shut up about it. He talked about it for the whole frickin' hike! Kept regaling us with how if only everyone would switch over to this stuff the energy crisis would be solved! And it's free from restaurants! He was impervious to any reason--like my pointing out that if everyone did this, his days of getting free fuel from Long John Silver's would be over . . . or to the inconvenient little fact that to grow enough produce to fuel all these cars, we'd have to cultivate a land area the size of Jupiter to raise enough veggies.

Does this unshakable viewpoint sound familiar? I never thought to ask him if he had a 'bent . . . I was too busy trying to hike while holding my hands over my ears and staying upwind! . . . ;)

BBD

William
11-26-2007, 06:42 AM

:crap:

Lincoln
11-26-2007, 10:16 AM
<snip>

be nice to tri geeks.... because tri geeks know girls.... they're the cycling equivalent of the your buddy from childhood that finally came out and knows all the cute girls.

That's an excellent point, I had never thought of it that way.

Cary Ford
11-26-2007, 12:23 PM
Damn, I thought this might reactivate the "mirror thread" but it looks like it might go recumbant instead...

chuckred
11-26-2007, 01:25 PM
What do you want him to do, wear warmers but nude above them? I'd rather see him in shorts, personally...

maunahaole
11-26-2007, 01:30 PM
He has an evangelical zeal about it and recumbents in general.

Does he have a beard?

stevep
11-26-2007, 03:17 PM
in my world.

see, swoops smarter than me...

anyone w/ numbers markered on their shoulders i shun... cause all they do is talk about equipment and it drives me ( more ) insame..

but still not over the edge like roman meal...
is it just a coincidence that his best material stopped with the comedy writers strike?
i doubt it.

davids
11-26-2007, 03:23 PM
see, swoops smarter than me...

anyone w/ numbers markered on their shoulders i shun... cause all they do is talk about equipment and it drives me ( more ) insame..

but still not over the edge like roman meal...
is it just a coincidence that his best material stopped with the comedy writers strike?
i doubt it.
Stevep's posts are just genius. He's funny, enlightened, a delight to read.

Roman Meal, on the other hand, scares me with his complete lack of manners. I wish that he would be more considerate of others' feelings.

manet
11-26-2007, 03:25 PM

SWorks4me
11-26-2007, 03:32 PM
Does he have a beard?

one bad *** cyclist...but everytime i here about recumbents, i picture him....

stevep
11-26-2007, 03:33 PM

Roman Meal, on the other hand, scares me with his complete lack of manners. I wish that he would be more considerate of others' feelings.

$.50 credit to yr account.

davids
11-26-2007, 03:40 PM
$.50 credit to yr account.