PDA

View Full Version : Steel Race Frame and Fork ???

velosport
11-25-2007, 05:07 PM
I would like to buck the trend and rid myself of the carbon wonder bike and race all steel, again. I would like some suggestions.for a builder. I have some guidelines:
The bike has to be from a handmade builder.
The fork also has to be steel and made by the builder.
I don't like tig welding.
Oh, I and want to race it next year.

I will also be honest and state that I REALLY want a Richard Sachs frameset but the wait list is so long I will probably have retired to racing cyclocross only by the time I got one.

hansolo758
11-25-2007, 05:13 PM
Dave Kirk

Paul (Rock Lobster)

Bruce Gordon?

Big Dan
11-25-2007, 05:13 PM
Shark.

swoop
11-25-2007, 05:20 PM
there's zank too... look on erichies website to the guys he gives a shout out to...

i feel you. i shoulda signed up for one years ago... there isn't a day that goes by that i don't kick myself for it. my friend scott is coming up soon.. i'm working on brainwashing him. i'm fairly retarded when it comes to long term planning and this is the price i pay for it.

oy.

rnhood
11-25-2007, 05:25 PM
The Curt Goodrich bikes seem to fit the bill in this respect also. Take a look:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=36359

Spicoli
11-25-2007, 05:25 PM
I would like to buck the trend and rid myself of the carbon wonder bike and race all steel, again. I would like some suggestions.for a builder. I have some guidelines:
The bike has to be from a handmade builder.
The fork also has to be steel and made by the builder.
I don't like tig welding.
Oh, I and want to race it next year.

I will also be honest and state that I REALLY want a Richard Sachs frameset but the wait list is so long I will probably have retired to racing cyclocross only by the time I got one.
Thats exactly where I am at! I have three race rigs all steel one with carbon seat stays, one all steel, and the other all steel cross. OH and did I also mention they are all Serotta's! Get a CDA and save yourself the headache of even looking at other stuff. Serotta has a way about them :beer:

Fixed
11-25-2007, 05:26 PM
where do you live would it be cool to talk face to face ? cheers

Fat Robert
11-25-2007, 05:27 PM
call paul at rock lobster now. as in tonight.

he makes 2 lugged frames a year. you get your name in for 2008 and have your frame by maybe...april????

join the lobster brigade, bro

dvs cycles
11-25-2007, 05:30 PM
Back in '88 my bike shop owner/ friend got some very nice Henry James lugs and sent it to Serotta for a build. Came out very nice. Guess that would be hand built?

Redturbo
11-25-2007, 05:33 PM
Maybe Hampsten, he knows people. :cool:

Fat Robert
11-25-2007, 05:51 PM
desalvo

sycip

zancanato

waterford

della santa

rock lobster is probably the best bet for your lead time...but call all of those cats

John H.
11-25-2007, 05:56 PM
quick- Landshark
2-3 months Steve Rex

mike p
11-25-2007, 06:26 PM
E-bay--Merckx,serotta,peg, ect.ect. Get a JB paint job and groupset and your still ahead of the game.

Mike

mflaherty37
11-25-2007, 06:26 PM
My position is settle for tig welds. The newest tubes are too large for lugs.

Viper
11-25-2007, 07:39 PM
Contact Handsomerob? He's always in possession of a steel frame or five. :)

sbornia
11-25-2007, 07:39 PM
Brent Steelman

R2D2
11-25-2007, 08:45 PM
E-bay--Merckx,serotta,peg, ect.ect. Get a JB paint job and groupset and your still ahead of the game.

Mike

I'm with Mike. There are lot of worthy used steel frames.
Pinarello/Colnago/CIOCC/Guerciotti/Lemond etc ............

yim
11-25-2007, 10:21 PM
yamaguchi

DarrenCT
11-25-2007, 10:22 PM
waterford makes cool stuff. i bet the wait time isnt that much either...

Fixed
11-25-2007, 10:24 PM
yamaguchi
http://www.yamaguchibike.com/content/Frames/Messenger
bro i like this cat
cheers

vaxn8r
11-25-2007, 10:41 PM
Steelman only tigs and I'm not sure he's still building frames.

Bill Davidson can do what you're looking for in a lugged racing frame with steel fork and has decades of experience. His bikes ride very nicely. Rolland Della Santa has the same track record. I'd buy from either in a heartbeat. You may want to speak with Steve Hampsten as well.

DarrenCT
11-25-2007, 10:44 PM
i think zank and a few other builders build for steelman although im not 100% sure

Louis
11-25-2007, 11:08 PM
I would like to buck the trend and rid myself of the carbon wonder bike and race all steel, again.

Have you considered an all-CF back end? I hear that's going to be the next hot thing :D

Seriously, I agree with the Waterford suggestion. Several of the other places mentioned won't be able to make your schedule, but I believe Waterford meets all of your requirements. Tell Richard Schwinn and Mark Muller what you want and they'll build you a great bike.

Louis

David Kirk
11-25-2007, 11:11 PM
Tell Richard Schwinn and Mark Muller what you want and they'll build you a great bike.

Louis

Or more like tell those guys what you want and Dave Wages will build you a bike. Schwinn and Muller don't make anything but phone calls. Wages is the guy that does the work.

Dave

mister
11-25-2007, 11:16 PM
is snail mail the only way to reach della santa?

Louis
11-25-2007, 11:24 PM
Or more like tell those guys what you want and Dave Wages will build you a bike. Schwinn and Muller don't make anything but phone calls. Wages is the guy that does the work.

Bad wording on my part. I didn't mean to imply that they were actually going to build the frameset. By "they" I was thinking the whole gang.

Thanks for the clarification.

Louis

PS, but Dave, you would agree that there is at least some work involved in marketing and designing bikes? (A rhetorical question, since we all know that "Team Kirk" does an outstanding job on all three aspects of the business.)

zank
11-26-2007, 07:48 AM
i think zank and a few other builders build for steelman although im not 100% sure

I did some building for Steelhead (designers out of St. Louis). Brent Steelman has always done his own building.

52-16SS
11-26-2007, 08:14 AM
Hans Schneider
Very small scale shop, mostly lugs, very nice guy.

Fixed
11-26-2007, 08:15 AM
bro get one like this
http://www.zanconato.com/gallery1.html
cheers
make sure it is red cos red is fast
imho

saab2000
11-26-2007, 08:22 AM
Many can build a nice frame. Make sure you find one who knows how to design the bike.

Not everyone who can braze a mean lug and paint a pretty bike knows how to make a bike handle properly.

The pictured bike is unidentifiable. The guy who built it no longer builds nor does he frequent this forum. Sure is purdy, ain't she? But the handling was no good.

A new fork with the proper rake fixed it. I can't speak for any of the builders mentioned. But just be awared that just because someone builds a bike doesn't meant the they understand what's really important. Just sayin'...

BTW, no reason on this green earth why you shouldn't race a steel bike with steel fork.

Z3c
11-26-2007, 08:32 AM
Della Santa; he makes his own forks, framesets are fairly inexpensive and they are wonderful long day bikes. Call Roland, he will answer the phone, and chat with him about what you want.. Tell him Scott, 2004-06, sent you.

If you are serious, PM me and I'll give you Roland's phone number; he tries to keep the intrusions to a minimum as he works alone.

Scott

saab2000
11-26-2007, 08:34 AM
Della Santa; he makes his own forks, framesets are fairly inexpensive and they are wonderful long day bikes. Call Roland, he will answer the phone, and chat with him about what you want.. Tell him Scott, 2004-06, sent you.

Scott

Also, a well-known American racer from the '80s rode Della Santa bikes to some success. :rolleyes:

BigDaddySmooth
11-26-2007, 09:14 AM
Also, a well-known American racer from the '80s rode Della Santa bikes to some success. :rolleyes:

RDS has a website that lists his phone number. It is not too difficult to figure out the www. address.

As I said a long time ago, good enough for GL, good enough for me. Plus his waiting list and price are hard to beat.

Z3c
11-26-2007, 05:13 PM
Roland no longer has his number on his site, only a mailing address..

Scott

castafly
11-26-2007, 06:07 PM
You can't beat Roland Della Santa's bikes, prices, and reputation. I highly recommend him! I have his phone number if you would like it.

SPOKE
11-26-2007, 06:40 PM
if you really can do without the lugs and a steel fork then the Serotta CDA is an excellent choice. if you gota have the lugs and a steel fork then David Kirk would be my choice. the one he built for me last year is an excellent bike. the one he is currently building for me will be more "racey". give him a call to discuss options. you'll be very impressed with what he can do. can't go wrong with his work :beer:

caleb
11-26-2007, 06:55 PM
The pictured bike is unidentifiable. The guy who built it no longer builds nor does he frequent this forum.

Walter Croll built that bike, probably in the mid-90's. :beer:

Z3c
11-26-2007, 07:16 PM
My assumption is that since the original poster mentioned a race bike that he is probably not after the more ornate things like custom lugs etc. IMHO, if that is correct, Della Santa would be high on the list as his frames are well made and reasonable in terms of cost. Roland really enjoys building for someone who intends to race the frame as most(me included) don't race his bikes and that is very much where his roots are.

Scott

team_sheepshead
11-26-2007, 09:16 PM
Zanconato. He actively races, so has rubber-meets-the-road sense of what racers need. My first bike from him was too sweet to race (i.e. crash). Then it got swiped, so I got another Zank. Also, too sweet to race, although he insisted I do it. I also fought him over the steel fork ("Too heavy!" I said), but in the end let him do it. Zank was right. It's by far the best-handling bike I've ever ridden.

Long story short I got the stolen Zank back...in bad shape. He's restoring it now...and I'll be racing it in 2008.

dutri42590
11-26-2007, 09:27 PM
:fight:
JPR

e-RICHIE
11-26-2007, 09:29 PM
i would use a wallstreet frame co for nest season. if he ever finshes his his own bike. :fight:
JPR
levity, right here on the internet.
who needs jesus is magic anyway atmo?

Dekonick
11-26-2007, 09:39 PM
Get your Zanc NOW while you can!

If you think RS has a long lead time, just wait until Mr. Z. gets accepted to medical school...

When I win the lottery I am gonna get a few custom steel steeds... one (or 2?) will hopefully by Zanc - unless he is in residency....fellowship....get my drift???

Go Z while you can!

:D

Fixed
11-26-2007, 09:44 PM
Get your Zanc NOW while you can!

If you think RS has a long lead time, just wait until Mr. Z. gets accepted to medical school...

When I win the lottery I am gonna get a few custom steel steeds... one (or 2?) will hopefully by Zanc - unless he is in residency....fellowship....get my drift???

Go Z while you can!

:D
bro get one like jack b has
imho cheers

DarrenCT
11-26-2007, 10:04 PM
werd

my z bike will be here in march. im totally stoked

Dekonick
11-27-2007, 12:43 AM
Kirk would also be on the list...

already own two of em - DKS that is...

:banana: :beer: :p :D

Spicoli
11-27-2007, 04:40 PM
I just want to give you another pat on the back for wanting to race a steel frame! I raced this last Sunday and had a funny observation. We are growing in numbers! I got into a break of six guy's on Sunday and what was being ridden was kinda funny. I counted 1-steel Waterford, 1-Ti Spectrum, and my 17yr. old steel Serotta (Colorado TG circa 90/91 but modernized yo!). So three out of the six bikes where pretty old school with very little plastic and the other 3 carbon "uber bikes". FYI we lost 2 of the carbon rigs with about 15 miles to go. So its really "not about the bike" or "is it"???

It was a pretty cool obsevation, at least for me? So that being said, the Ol' TG is going back home to its maker tomorrow for some well dserved R and R. Also included will be a massage and facial with some new paint, even though the 17 yr old paint is still in great shape. I say take care of those who take care of you, and I know you are all worried that I may have to ride some none steel rig? Dont, its little brother CDA will do some training time to get it warmed up for the Spring racing season.

Cheers to our host! :beer:

zeroking17
11-28-2007, 02:47 PM
Consider Chris Kvale. He races. He builds. He paints.

J.Greene
11-28-2007, 04:30 PM
Consider Chris Kvale. He races. He builds. He paints.

Tell me that's for sale.

JG

zeroking17
11-28-2007, 04:53 PM
Tell me that's for sale.

JG

Yes*
__________________________________________________ ___________
* Provided you can pay with Andorran Francs or Norwegian Kroners. The USDollar has become passť.