PDA

View Full Version : Wireless computers--is the technology there?

Rapid Tourist
07-26-2004, 06:42 PM
I bought a new wireless computer for my new bike and I have had no end to problems with it (Polar 720). For at least 20% of my rides the speed reads 0 or 3 mph when I am cruising along at a normal speed. What's strange is that the heartrate function seems to work fine. I'm beginning to wonder if wireless computers just aren't quite up to task as yet.

How can I gloat over mileage or obsess over average speed when the computer is constantly lowballing the figures??? :confused: I'm depressed. Someone please cheer me up.

hooverone
07-26-2004, 06:48 PM
Have you gone back to the place you bought it at or called Polar?

I was thinking about getting one of these so this interest me.

JIm

ericmurphy
07-26-2004, 07:10 PM
I've used both wireless and wired Shimano Flight Decks, and as far as I can tell (about 300 miles on the wireless 10-sp version), it's at least as reliable as the wired version. The wired SC-6501 would occasionally lose track of my average speed (which was somewhat inexplicable in that it managed to track the time and distance, so average should be a matter of straightforward arithmetic), but so far the wireless SC-6502 seems a bit more dependable. We'll see how well it works after 10,000 miles or so, which is what the 9-sp Flight Deck has on it now.

Bruce H.
07-26-2004, 07:45 PM
It is possible that the sensor is not properly alligned. Also if you have a different computer that you are using concurrently it may be interfering.
I have had mine for 2 years and it is flawless. When I first bought it I used the Cateye as well because I was not sure of the 720's accuracy. It would not work well until I switched positions of the sensor. When I finally gave up the Cateye I have not has a problem.
Bruce H.
PS The info it provides is worth getting it to work.

eddief
07-26-2004, 07:49 PM
except for interfering with my separate heart rate monitor. Took monitor off handlebar and put on wrist to stop that problem. Sometimes the magnet on the wheel is not quite close enough to the sending unit and that will screw up the accuracy. I still don't like the funky zip tie approach to attaching the sender to the fork. Mavic approach seems the most elegant.

Sandy
07-26-2004, 10:53 PM
Haven't seen you on any rides. Did riding with Smiley and Sandy scare you away? I need to see that wonderful smile of yours again.

I like it simple- I use the Performance A10W wireless computer. It is cheap, easy to read, easy to set up, and easy to use.

Today I rode with 2 cyclists that have wireless computers. One was a Polar and one was the Shimano Flight Deck. They both seem to really like their computer. The cyclist with the Polar has several bikes and several different computers. He likes his Polar the best. Perhaps you might contact him directly.

My average is always about 0-3 mph for the whole ride, and my computer seems to work just fine.

:) :) Smiling Serotta Sandy :) :)

Sandy
07-26-2004, 10:54 PM
Don't be depressed!!! I will try to cheer you up!

Sandy

Elefantino
07-26-2004, 11:24 PM
except for interfering with my separate heart rate monitor. Took monitor off handlebar and put on wrist to stop that problem. Sometimes the magnet on the wheel is not quite close enough to the sending unit and that will screw up the accuracy. I still don't like the funky zip tie approach to attaching the sender to the fork. Mavic approach seems the most elegant.

I had a similar problem with the zip ties. I now the thin piece of rubber that I never used before; it seems to keep it from slipping. However, mine still, occasionally, tells me that my max speed was 67 mph. Once I even got it cranked up to 130.

I'm thinking it was HRM interference. Either than, or I am really, really good.

davep
07-27-2004, 12:59 AM
I've been using a Vetta 100A wireless for about 500 miles with no problems, except that the altitude functions can be off, but that has nothing to do with the wireless part. My Polar heart rate monitor is only a couple inches from the Vetta and seems to cause no interference. I doubt I'll go back to wired computers.

Dekonick
07-27-2004, 06:39 AM
I use a Polar and love it. I also had the same problem and it turned out to be a low battery in the sensor. Just send it to polar and they will check it and replace the battery. Ill bet it works flawlessly after that. (I have 2 speed sensors, on 2 bikes. If one goes down I ship it out and move the other one over)

I still have not mounted my cadence monitor. I really dont want to know how slowly I spin....because that will mean speedwork....NOOOOO

Try buying another sensor. Ill bet that fixes your issue. (then return the defective one - or send it to Polar. They are great to work with)

Tom
07-27-2004, 06:54 AM
If it isn't consistently flashing when the magnet goes by, then that might be the issue. It means the magnet and the sensor aren't doing the voodoo that they do so well.

Lately mine's been telling me my max speed has been in the 70s, which is very cool but wrong. I think there's a power line transformer going screwy about a half a mile from my house because it only happens when I go out that way and on the curve it's always right there. It started happening about a month ago.

Ozz
07-27-2004, 07:00 AM
I bought a new wireless computer for my new bike and I have had no end to problems with it (Polar 720). For at least 20% of my rides the speed reads 0 or 3 mph when I am cruising along at a normal speed. What's strange is that the heartrate function seems to work fine. I'm beginning to wonder if wireless computers just aren't quite up to task as yet.

How can I gloat over mileage or obsess over average speed when the computer is constantly lowballing the figures??? :confused: I'm depressed. Someone please cheer me up.

I had a similar problem when setting up my 510...make sure the speed sensor is well within 18 inches of the receiver. I had mine mounted too far down on the fork. This solved the problem.

Oaklandhills
07-27-2004, 10:19 AM
I have had minimal problems with my 720. I have owned it roughly 6 months and needed to adjust the sensor once. I am sure the LBS will be able to address the problem if you are not able to. I find it to be a great piece of equipment although I would like the 720 to have an inclometer.

Dekonick
07-27-2004, 12:49 PM
That would be nice... to know the incline and altitude.

Anyone use an ergobrain? Is it worth the $$?

Rapid Tourist
07-27-2004, 06:46 PM
Thanks so much for all the helpful responses. I called Polar and they think that the battery in the sending unit has run low or the "frequency" needs to be adjusted, so I have to send it in for service.

If that doesn't work I'll just have to face the music and accept that I'm no faster than 3 mph--which Sandy already knows! :)

I'm not depressed anymore. :banana:

Thanks so much.

Sandy
07-27-2004, 08:13 PM
Sorry to inform you that your name is changed until you solve your computer problem. At 0-3 mph, you are now Slow Tourist, sorry. If the computer starts to show only 0 mph, then you are No Tourist, sorry, once again.

Slow Tourist, I am so sorry,

So Sorry So Serotta Sandy