PDA

View Full Version : Brooks vs. Rolls COMFORT?

lavi
11-24-2007, 01:39 PM
I have seen the other postings on this saddle vs. that saddle. This is all about comfort. I'm building up a SS for pulling a Burley, plain and simple. I currently ride Airiones and Rolls. I'm considering a Brooks for the SS for this reason: I've heard that after they are broken in, they can be ridden without a chamois. I'm not looking for long rides (30+ miles). I'm looking for comfort for 5-10 miles in un-padded shorts.

Is this comfort thing true with a Brooks, or is it not? Will I always need a chamois for anything longer that getting a sixer from 7-11? If that's the case, I'll just get another Airone that will match the color of the new bike.

Thanks in advance for the advice/input.

Fixed
11-24-2007, 01:42 PM
i tide 30 everyday on a regal it's fine with street clothes
imho .cheers

Grant McLean
11-24-2007, 01:43 PM
I also ride the Arione on my road bikes, and have a commuter with a Rolls.

Riding in street clothes, i'd take the Rolls over Arione every time!
I'm fine for about an hour on the rolls in a pair of jeans.

-g

Ken Robb
11-24-2007, 03:01 PM
I ride B17 and Arionne in street clothes for 25 miles or so. Just don't wear shorts with big seams where you don't want them.

Fixed
11-24-2007, 04:15 PM
bro my rolls is great 50 miles on cargo shorts today
cheers

justinf
11-24-2007, 11:04 PM
Regal (and presumably Rolls) will be fine immediately. Brooks will be equally fine, once it's broken in.

GoJavs
11-24-2007, 11:09 PM
Rolls is fine on regular clothes. Regals less so. I'll let you know about Brooks soon. I'm working on one right now.

Ray
11-25-2007, 04:49 AM
Regal (and presumably Rolls) will be fine immediately. Brooks will be equally fine, once it's broken in.
Depends on the Brook (and, of course, the a$$). For me, a B-17 is comfortable immediately - bike shorts or street clothes. A Pro takes a LOT longer. And a Swift never gets there. Or one of those really wide ones with springs in back - those should be good right away too.

-Ray

palincss
11-25-2007, 07:38 AM

More accurately: if they will ever be fine, Regal and Rolls will be fine immediately. Brooks, depending on the model, may be fine immediately; may be fine for short to medium distances immediately and will be fine for long distances upon being broken in; or may not work at all, depending on your anatomy and the model chosen.

As it happens, although I think they look marvelous, neither Regal nor Rolls works for me. For the sake of their looks (classic and gorgeous, atmo) and for the sake of those they fit perfectly, I hope they continue making them exactly as they are forever.

It's a hassle finding a saddle that works. Once found, it's a blessing if they continue to manufacture it unchanged. Saddles wear out or get damaged and need to be replaced, and the number of bikes seems to inevitably grow over time. Having to go through that huge, expensive and exhausing hassle each time starting anew should be unnecessary.

justinf
11-25-2007, 05:38 PM
Guess I should have offered the footnote that my a$$ is rather indiscriminate. I like Regals, Aliantes, Swifts, Flites, and B-17s interchangeably, and there is of course substantial variation between them.

I have realized that, with quite a bit of posterior stubbornness, the Swift will finally comply. Ray, do not give up hope.

Ray
11-25-2007, 06:47 PM
Guess I should have offered the footnote that my a$$ is rather indiscriminate. I like Regals, Aliantes, Swifts, Flites, and B-17s interchangeably, and there is of course substantial variation between them.

I have realized that, with quite a bit of posterior stubbornness, the Swift will finally comply. Ray, do not give up hope.
My back end is more discriminating. Hope is lost - my experiment with a Swift is long since over and done. But its cool, I have B-17s on a couple of bikes and Aliantes on a couple of others and life is good in the rear department. And the Koobi Silver works too, if I ever have another mountain bike. Flites and Aspides and Ariones are non-starters and the Swift wasn't worth the effort.

-Ray

Ahneida Ride
11-25-2007, 07:03 PM

Undercoat the bottom of the Swift with Proofhide. Ride ....and Repeat ...

Did you losen all the tension of the screw?

sevencyclist
11-25-2007, 11:09 PM
I have a Brooks Champion Flyer, which is basically a B17 with springs, on Surly for commuting, and I do it without padding in regular slacks for 5 miles without problem. I had less luck with Swift and WTB saddles. The only other saddle that I have liked other than B17 was Sella Italia Turbo that came on my Bridgestone MB Zip.