PDA

View Full Version : OT: Concept 2 Holiday Challenge

scrooge
11-24-2007, 01:26 PM
Any ergers out there doing this? Tips? (besides row a lot)
I hate to admit it, but I think the thing that will prevent me from making it is blisters. My desk-jockey hands can't take it...

William
11-24-2007, 01:49 PM
Any ergers out there doing this? Tips? (besides row a lot)
I hate to admit it, but I think the thing that will prevent me from making it is blisters. My desk-jockey hands can't take it...

Normally I would be in, but this issue I've had recently is keeping me off the erg.

William

Velociotis
11-24-2007, 02:35 PM
If you get blisters, use a bit of white tape if anything. Real rowers don't use gloves. :) Also, keep the vents closed! or mostly closed, I see a lot of people rowing with too much load which is the vents open (higher numbers) and hurt their backs.

I think I'm in. I was recruited when I was caught cross-training last week.

scrooge
11-24-2007, 05:08 PM
If you get blisters, use a bit of white tape if anything. Real rowers don't use gloves. :) Also, keep the vents closed! or mostly closed, I see a lot of people rowing with too much load which is the vents open (higher numbers) and hurt their backs.

I think I'm in. I was recruited when I was caught cross-training last week.

I'm not a real rower--so are there actually rowing gloves? I've tried using cycling gloves in the past but it hasn't helped at all.
Maybe I'll try duct tape tomorrow.

92degrees
11-24-2007, 07:02 PM
I'm riding/racing too much to do it this year. My wife is doing it, though.

sellsworth
11-24-2007, 08:24 PM
This is my fourth year doing the 200K challenge. I really like it a lot and it keeps me feeling great through the holidays. My only recommendation is don't fall too far behind the 6500-7000m/day that you need to finish - it can be hard to make it up at the end. I generally do 10000 m days and skip a few days here and there. When I'm tired or busy I'll do two 5000 m rows in a day.

RABikes2
11-24-2007, 09:10 PM
scrooge ... what's this all about? My son is the coxswain for his HS crew team and occasionally ergs. I've been hitting the erg machine every few days for cross training. We have one in the living room approximately 3' over from my Legend. Furniture? Yeah, there's some in there, too, around the sports equipment. :p
RA

scrooge
11-25-2007, 08:38 AM
scrooge ... what's this all about? My son is the coxswain for his HS crew team and occasionally ergs. I've been hitting the erg machine every few days for cross training. We have one in the living room approximately 3' over from my Legend. Furniture? Yeah, there's some in there, too, around the sports equipment. :p
RA

It's a motivational tool put on by Concept 2 between Thanksgiving and Christams. You see how far you can row--with 100k and 200k as goals. I'm shooting for 200 (but some people make their own private goals--like 500k).
I need a goal to shoot for, so it's good for me. Plus I get a nice print-off certificate if i complete it. Ooooowwww.
http://www.concept2.com/us/motivation/challenges/holchal2007.asp

RABikes2
11-25-2007, 09:16 AM
It's a motivational tool put on by Concept 2 between Thanksgiving and Christams. You see how far you can row--with 100k and 200k as goals. I'm shooting for 200 (but some people make their own private goals--like 500k).
I need a goal to shoot for, so it's good for me. Plus I get a nice print-off certificate if i complete it. Ooooowwww.
http://www.concept2.com/us/motivation/challenges/holchal2007.asp
Thanks for the link! ;)