PDA

View Full Version : Winter shoes

rwsaunders
11-23-2007, 09:16 PM
I bought some Northwave winter shoes on a tip from Bumble Bee Dave at the end of the Summer. Three 30 degree rides so far and nothing but good news to report.

saab2000
11-23-2007, 09:20 PM
I have been told that the Sidi winter shoes are also excellent.

rwsaunders
11-23-2007, 09:29 PM
I finally purchased a pair of Sidi shoes about a year ago, and I don't think I can change now. They just seem to fit and perform. I would think that their Winter shoes would be just as good.

DarrenCT
11-23-2007, 09:38 PM
i have the sidi freeze winter shoe and they are perfect. i went 1 size up and wear thick socks and my feet are very toasty!

onekgguy
11-23-2007, 09:40 PM
I'm curious to know how long you can stay out in these shoes in temps of 20 degrees or so before your toes go numb? I haven't checked prices but I know they're not cheap and I'm reluctant to invest in them if they're not going to buy me much extra time out there. I'm currently using Sidi shoes with booties for temps lower than 50. I'll toss in a chem toe warmer once the temps dip into the 30s and with those combinations I'm good for a couple hours.

Kevin g

DarrenCT
11-23-2007, 09:43 PM
fyi,

http://img240.imageshack.us/img240/5826/sidihydrogtxblackblackit9.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

dirtdigger88
11-23-2007, 09:47 PM
I picked up a pair of these last year on close out-

paid something like $175 for them new

best piece of winter cycling gear ever

http://www.cycles-georget.com/images/SidiFREEZE.jpg

Jason

DarrenCT
11-23-2007, 09:48 PM
my summer/normal shoes are dmt's and are a 42.5. these sidi winter boots i got a 44. i wear a thin assos sock and a thick ski sock with these sidi boots and im good to go at any temp.

i think a big factor is circulation and having a bit of extra room...

ergott
11-23-2007, 09:49 PM
I have a pair on the way as well. I'm also getting the warmers from Sidi for ultratoast.

onekgguy
11-23-2007, 09:51 PM
I have a pair on the way as well. I'm also getting the warmers from Sidi for ultratoast.

Which pair did you go with...the Hydro GTX or the Freeze? What sort of price did you find for the toasters and shoes? Thanks.

Kevin g

DarrenCT
11-23-2007, 10:04 PM
fyi,

a friend of mine got those heaters and they stop working so she had to get a new set.

i may have to score them if it gets a lot colder..

Blue Jays
11-23-2007, 10:23 PM
Nice purchase. Wrapping one's feet in thick SmartWool socks and ankle-high cycling shoes with Gore-Tex construction throughout must be very nice. Toasty hands, warm feet, and a dry head can certainly do the trick to keep the winter months comfortable...

gdw
11-23-2007, 11:37 PM
The standard for years and now available in wide sizes. Plus they are an American company based in Evanston, Ill.

Blue Jays
11-24-2007, 12:07 AM
The Lake CXZ302 (http://www.lakecycling.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=CXZ302) does look pretty darn warm:

http://www.lakecycling.com/images/products/large/cxz302.jpg

Wonder if neoprene booties could fit over it for extra warmth if desired?

markie
11-24-2007, 12:11 AM
I got the Lake MTB boots, they just differ in the soles from the ones posted above.

I wore them down to -20F with just a regular wool sock underneath without any cold toes. You will not need neoprene over the top of them.

Blue Jays
11-24-2007, 12:14 AM
markie, thanks for the feedback! :)

It looks like the sole is "built-up" to reduce the likelihood of cold pushing through from the bottom of the shoe as well. Their choice of Pittards leather looks pretty good...I have motorcycle gloves crafted from the stuff and it's simultaneously supple, weather-resistant, and strong.

11-24-2007, 01:03 AM
I've tried most of the offerings, with mixed results.

Best of the bunch have been the Northwave Fahrenheits. They have Goretex uppers and a sealed sole (no holes for water to come up through). They also come in half sizes -- full size intervals are a pain when going up a full size means you are wearing floppy oversized boots and you run out of adjustment room for your cleats. Laces inside and velcro and a covering flap outside. They are reasonably priced and get steeply discounted at the end of the winter (though it's a little too late for that now). The soles are reasonably stiff so you can actually ride without feeling like you're wearing climbing shoes with cleats affixed. Flexible soles in the winter can be a pain because the cleat will tend to create a hot spot under your foot. Construction is first rate and they are waterproof out of the box. Only drawback is that they are relatively narrow, so size E need not apply.

The Sidis are not too far off from the Fahrenheits but miss the mark in a variety of ways. The neoprene cuff doesn't fit tightly enough to keep water from dripping down your leg in the rain -- I had to make some makeshift neoprene gaiters, which then cut down the breathability of the shoes a lot. No half sizes -- only relevant if you need that particular size. Not as warm as the Fahrenheits. Somewhat more flexible sole -- not a problem for easy winter group rides but you'll feel your cleats if you are doing hard workouts. They leaked like a sieve when I got them (two pairs, one two years ago and one last year) and had to be Nikwaxed to keep water out. But at that point, all breathability ended as well. In cold dry climes they may be a bit better than in wet.

The Lakes are huge in comparison. The mountain version are like putting SPD cleats on mountaineering boots and the road version are the same except for a road sole. We're talking really big and clunky here. If you're riding in the 20s, then go for them. I'd definitely get the mountain version and use SPD cleats because the road version keeps having problems with the cleat mountings -- the sole is a little too soft and the hardware either slips around between the outersole and midsole or studs start to pull through. These shoes are waterproof and definitely warm, but I'd just think they're probably too much except for snowbelt country. Get some studs mounted on them for walking on ice and you're in good shape. You could go hiking in the mountain versions. They do leak a fair bit at the top in rain, but they're really made for where snow and sheer cold are the challenges. Ankling in them is rather limited -- like ankling in downhill ski boots.

The Gaerne's are a bit lightweight and lower priced. Quality isn't quite as good. They are reasonably warm but nowhere like the Lake. I figure they probably got cold on me about 10 degrees higher than the Sidis and 15-20 degrees higher than the Fahrenheits (I never could get cold in the Lakes, although I cussed enough at them to keep myself warm even standing still). They leak in the wet. On the pair I tried the cleat drilling was so far forward that I couldn't get the cleat back to a reasonable position and I've heard of that problem from a few others. I think the sole drillings changed this year, but last year there were so many cleat-mounting holes in the sole you could feel the water spraying your foot from the bottom (this is a reason generally to think about mountain winter shoes and mountain pedals for the winter -- there's only one set of holes and the cleat bolts plug them).

The Diadora Chili is a neat alternative shoe. It has a loose waterproof fabric integrated gaiter that is pretty good at keeping water out and gives a fair amount of protection. It takes the reasoning that your tights and socks are what are keeping you warm above your ankles and puts everything into the toes and sole of your foot. This makes it light, flexible, and at least warm in the toes. I never tried them in really cold weather, but they did a fair job of keeping water out. I used Seamseal on some of the seams in front to eradicate a couple small leaks, but they were reasonably waterproof.

I tried a couple other shoes as well, nothing memorable enough to report on. All in all, unless I was riding in Duluth I'd be back in the Fahrenheits. However, I found that in wet weather the shoes always had water come in through the tops and in cold dry weather my feet still couldn't breathe enough and would get damp, then cold. And I put up with cold well. My solution? I'm just riding road shoes with Assos neoprene rain booties. A pair lasts me a couple winters, they insulate well, and they keep the water out really well. I size up a half size in shoes, caulk any holes, and wear heavy wool socks. I also pick a pair of winter shoes with enough toe box room to accommodate a pair of those chemical foot heaters. Those are the best solution to cold or wet feet while riding. They aren't a solution for daily commuting unless you don't mind cracking open a pair every day, but for real training rides, they can't be beat. With them in place, some newspaper on my chest, and a nice hat under the helmet, I can ride into the teens.

A couple non-shoe-related points: If you are dealing with cold rain or slush and you don't have really well-fitted fenders with flaps that go right to the ground, you'll never make up for it with shoes. And you get a better workout and keep your legs from tightening up in the cold if you're riding a fixie -- I'm not just lauding fixies, but in really cold and/or wet weather, a fixie keeps your legs from tightening up as much, which in turn keeps your feet more flexible and, to the point of this thread, warmer.

DarrenCT
11-24-2007, 04:40 AM
very true review of the sidi's. dead on once again.

weisan
11-24-2007, 05:25 AM
I heart FM11.4 channel.

Bruce K
11-24-2007, 05:36 AM
Has anyone seen or teied the Specialized?

The local rep had a pair in the fall that he was showing to the LBS' but none of them have it in stock to llok at/try on.

They were supposed to be very reasonably priced - somewhere under $200.

My cross shoes are Specialized and I like them a lot.

BK

93legendti
11-24-2007, 06:54 AM
I have been told that the Sidi winter shoes are also excellent.

I've been using mine for 3 seasone. They are.

PBWrench
11-24-2007, 07:42 AM
Another vote for the Sidis. I have the MTN version. One pair of wool socks down to 25, a second if you are below. GREAT shoes.

Mud
11-24-2007, 07:52 AM
They had a 2 strap version which never fit right. I got the 3 strap version some years ago from England (bitz4bikes?) and I agree with 11.4 that I wish they fit better around the ankle. I usually find one wool pair of socks is enough but also have been riding with Assos winter socks and that has been fine. I don't ride in the rain anymore if I can avoid it.

ejh
11-24-2007, 07:55 AM
Has anyone seen or teied the Specialized?

The local rep had a pair in the fall that he was showing to the LBS' but none of them have it in stock to llok at/try on.

They were supposed to be very reasonably priced - somewhere under $200.

My cross shoes are Specialized and I like them a lot.

BKI've been riding them for the last couple weeks with some good luck. I got frost bite almost 20 years ago riding on Long Island and 3 toes give me a lot of greff. Last week a 4 hour ride 25-35* and feet did ok. the only problem is they are not set up for look cleats so I had to put my time mt pedals. I think I paid $155. Eric

DarrenCT
11-24-2007, 08:23 AM
I'm interested in these Northwave Fahrenheits shoes but can't find a place online to get them.

Any ideas!?

BumbleBeeDave
11-24-2007, 08:32 AM
I bought some Northwave winter shoes on a tip from Bumble Bee Dave at the end of the Summer. Three 30 degree rides so far and nothing but good news to report.

I've been on 5 rides or so with my Northwaves so far. Did a century last Sunday where it was about 25 when we started out and got up to about 40 before falling back. I had wool ragg socks and some sock liners on inside of them and my toes were still cozy after 6 hours of pedaling. They've also worked very well with just the ragg socks. As another mentioned, the soles are pretty tiff and they work well with my LOOK Keos.

I had never bought any winter shoes before this because of what seemed like high prices to me for the relatively little use I would give them. These were $100 from Performance and the 15% off coupon I had brought them down to $85. Really a GREAT deal. but I'm pretty sure they're sold out now. They also had the mountain model and now I'm kicking myself for not picking up a pair of those, too!

BTW, I usually wear a 45 and ended up with a 46 in these to give some extra room inside for the socks.

BBD

znfdl
11-24-2007, 10:38 AM
I use the following heated footbeds. I have ridden up to 7 hours is sub-freezing temperatures. The only problem that I had, was to fine tune the temperature as my feet were sweating too much.

During this time I wore my regular shoes, light wool sock and pearl izumi am fib booties.

http://www.cozywinters.com/therm-ic/?referrer=go&gclid=CIfykZz19Y8CFReQGgodxEXrlQ

ergott
11-24-2007, 01:20 PM
Which pair did you go with...the Hydro GTX or the Freeze? What sort of price did you find for the toasters and shoes? Thanks.

Kevin g

Diablo GTX. I'm pulling in a favor for the set.

djg
11-24-2007, 03:41 PM
I'm interested in these Northwave Fahrenheits shoes but can't find a place online to get them.

Any ideas!?

I got mine a couple of years ago for something like 99 bucks, I think from c-bike on sale -- I don't deal with them much, and don't know if they still carry them, but it's worth a look.

BumbleBeeDave
11-24-2007, 05:36 PM
. . . and in decent size range. but several other sites say they are "discontinued."

http://www.gearandtraining.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=28700

. . . and THESE look even nicer on the same site. I'd love to get a pair of these and stick some ATAC cleats on them for my cross bike. If they are s warm as my Fahrenheits, then I'm set . . .

http://www.gearandtraining.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=28699

BBD

barry1021
11-24-2007, 06:07 PM
on sale at performance last summer. Should have worn them today, cant wait to try em

b21\

OK I have been riding them this winter and I like them a lot. I wear a pair of sock liners and wool socks and they are very comfortable. DId 90 mins yesterday AM with temps in the low mid 20's and no discomfort at all. THey are also very comfortable and don't feel a lot different than my regular riding shoe. ANd they look good, I think.

DRZRM
11-25-2007, 09:36 AM
I'll second the Lake MTB, but the review above is spot on, you don't need this much shoe for 40 deg., but once it's below 32 (and I've used them down to 15 or so, much colder than that and I'm in the car) I think these are the best.

http://www.lickbike.com/productpage.aspx?PART_NUM_SUB='2976-07'

I got the Lake MTB boots, they just differ in the soles from the ones posted above.

I wore them down to -20F with just a regular wool sock underneath without any cold toes. You will not need neoprene over the top of them.

Blue Jays
12-01-2007, 01:46 AM
markie, 11.4, and DRZRM, did you three find that the Lake CXZ302 shoe runs close to the indicated size, bigger than expected, or smaller than expected?
I'm close to pulling the trigger on a pair and just trying to determine how much "room" I should provide to accomodate for thick 100% wool socks.
Thanks a million for any insights!

Doc Hollywood
12-01-2007, 06:47 AM
Those looking for Winter Shoes should get the MTB version instead of the Road for Road Riding. The traction on the MTB version is SOOO much better than the road version; critical when walking around . I have ridden with guys that bought the road version and seen them slip and slide al over the place while walking. The MTB version also can be used for MTB amd Cross. You'll need to put some MTB pedals on your road bike for the winter, but that's no biggie.

I have a pair of NW Grizzlies and like them a ot, but the Lakes are Really warm.

Doc

gdw
12-01-2007, 06:38 PM
REI's closing out their 2006+7 Lakes. They've reduced the price to $195 with another 20% off if you purchase by Pearl Harbor Day - Dec. 7th. The sizes are limited but a top winter boot for under $160 is a sweet deal.
http://www.rei.com/outlet
Check pages 4 and 5 in the cycle clothing section for more details.

DarrenCT
12-01-2007, 06:41 PM
REI's closing out their 2006+7 Lakes. They've reduced the price to $195 with another 20% off if you purchase by Pearl Harbor Day - Dec. 7th. The sizes are limited but a top winter boot for under $160 is a sweet deal.

can i use a dura-ace pedal with these?

DarrenCT
12-01-2007, 06:51 PM
ok i took the time to research and they are in fact compatible.

thnx for the link. i should have these shoes by the middle of next week.

if they dont fit well, i use them for mountaineering :)

e-RICHIE
12-01-2007, 06:56 PM
i just ordered 2 of these atmo -

http://www.altama.com/product_images/6478a.jpg

DRZRM
12-01-2007, 07:00 PM
Yeah, the fit is fine, I went with my actual size and I can fit a moderately thick smartwool sock in without any difficulty. I know some folks order a size up, but the toe box is pretty generous, and at my size (13) I just can't face ordering shoes any bigger if I don't have to :D . If I could, I'd swing by a stonre that has 'em if you can just to check for size.

markie, 11.4, and DRZRM, did you three find that the Lake CXZ302 shoe runs close to the indicated size, bigger than expected, or smaller than expected?
I'm close to pulling the trigger on a pair and just trying to determine how much "room" I should provide to accomodate for thick 100% wool socks.

CNY rider
12-01-2007, 08:14 PM

I wear Diadora road size 42 (as well as size 42 Reebok sneakers) but I went with the size 43 Lakes. That lets me wear a middle weight wool sock and still have room for adequate circulation. I'd recommend you at least consider the larger size.

dekindy
12-07-2007, 09:55 AM
I tried a couple other shoes as well, nothing memorable enough to report on. All in all, unless I was riding in Duluth I'd be back in the Fahrenheits. However, I found that in wet weather the shoes always had water come in through the tops and in cold dry weather my feet still couldn't breathe enough and would get damp, then cold. And I put up with cold well. My solution? I'm just riding road shoes with Assos neoprene rain booties. A pair lasts me a couple winters, they insulate well, and they keep the water out really well. I size up a half size in shoes, caulk any holes, and wear heavy wool socks. I also pick a pair of winter shoes with enough toe box room to accommodate a pair of those chemical foot heaters. Those are the best solution to cold or wet feet while riding. They aren't a solution for daily commuting unless you don't mind cracking open a pair every day, but for real training rides, they can't be beat. With them in place, some newspaper on my chest, and a nice hat under the helmet, I can ride into the teens.

Great information and review. I am not sure that I understand this paragraph. Are you saying that the Northwave Fahrenheits are the best winter specific shoes but you still prefer to use regular summer road shoes with waterproof neoprene and chemical warmers? Exact reason? What if I am in Indiana and do not ride in the wet, just cold and dry weather?

cycl42
01-12-2008, 12:44 PM
I am looking at a pair of Northwave Celsius winter boots, but they seem a bit narrow. It seems like they will be OK if they break in and stretch a bit in the width. They are fine with thin socks but a bit tight in thicker wool socks. I think the next size will be too long. Does anyone who owns them know if they will break in and stretch a little?

Thanks,

01-12-2008, 01:43 PM
I am looking at a pair of Northwave Celsius winter boots, but they seem a bit narrow. It seems like they will be OK if they break in and stretch a bit in the width. They are fine with thin socks but a bit tight in thicker wool socks. I think the next size will be too long. Does anyone who owns them know if they will break in and stretch a little?

Thanks,

They do not stretch. At all. The toe box and the foot width won't change in 5000 miles of winter riding. Same for the Northwave Fahrenheit (same upper, just no lugs on the sole and a different drilling).

01-12-2008, 01:51 PM
Great information and review. I am not sure that I understand this paragraph. Are you saying that the Northwave Fahrenheits are the best winter specific shoes but you still prefer to use regular summer road shoes with waterproof neoprene and chemical warmers? Exact reason? What if I am in Indiana and do not ride in the wet, just cold and dry weather?

Not sure I understand the question. I said that I'm not in extreme cold but lots of wet. All the winter shoes tend to collect water and are overkill for cool wet conditions. In Minneapolis or Duluth, I'd want something more, but they tend to be dry cold (or at least snowy cold). I find a lot of people buy winter shoes for 40-45 degree riding and find they are overkill -- bulky, too warm, heavy, etc. The Northwave is one of the lightest and best engineered for anything down to about 20 degrees.

I have been on a pair of the new 2008 Lake winter mountain shoes and have to say that Lake has really improved on these. They keep dry in the wet and the tread is something I've longed for for years. It's a straight Vibram sole, so it does tend to clog with mud, but for anything other than mud they are a blast. The sole is the best around to walk on and the new design on the uppers makes them quite secure. The new design Boa (introduced last year) with the push-pull mechanism is aeons better than the prior one with the red release lever. You can also completely replace the mechanism and the cable, but the cable is now coated stainless steel so I don't expect problems. I bought these because I started using some of their CX400s and was so impressed. The fit is quite large, so you typically have to go down a half size or so from a Sidi. I actually ride a winter shoe size identical to a Sidi summer shoe. The shoe is reasonably wide but also comes in a specific wide version now for those of you who need the width. (The Northwaves are quite narrow, by the way.) The cleats mount on a fairly soft nylon sole so they can twist a little (compared to SM-SH10 cleats on a carbon soled summer shoe) but they don't self-destruct or move -- it just doesn't feel quite as firm. So my comments about prior years' Lakes are still something I'd stand by, but Lake has really come up with a good winter shoe for this year (as long as you aren't in the mud).

FMS_rider
01-12-2008, 04:27 PM
I have been using a pair of light weight Taho MTN shoes (~$75) from Specialized with 5mm thick neoprene overboots from Performance (~$25 on sale) in really cold temps. The shoes are waaaaay oversize: I wear a 42 Sidi Mega and the Tahos are a 46 and the Performance overboots a size 14 american --the largest they sell. I also have a 3/8" 3-layer insole inside the boots (product # 17604 for $8 from Campmor --designed for use in Antartica). For temps down to ~20 deg F I use a single pair of heavy merino wool socks --an REI Smartwool clone. For really cold temps I add a polypropylene liner sock. Despite being hugely oversize the tops of the shoes lace up tightly so there is no movement when I cycle. For cleats you have to cut a hole in the thick treaded soles of the Performance overboots, which is a bit of a hassle but I have no problems clipping in or out with SPD cleats using Shimano M324 pedals.

Like ejh I have previously frozen some toes, and now have to be really careful. The coldest temp I have been out in this winter so far was -2 deg F (with a substantially lower chill factor) and my feet were toasty for ~1 1/2 hrs (only slightly cold to the touch on return).

Despite doing a lot of winter riding I have not invested in winter boots because I have very wide feet (I have had to modify the Sidi Megas for sufficient width), and I like to experiment. However I would not recommend my approach --the frozen toes were from a failed experiment last winter.

cycl42
01-12-2008, 06:04 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I decided to just get a larger side of the Northwave summer SBS MTB shoes that I have and use toe heaters under shoe covers. I have EEE feet and the summer shoes are much wider than the winter Celsius shoes.

This setup will be more versatile and should take me from 20-45 degrees F.

01-13-2008, 12:25 AM
Need some Northwave Fahrenheits in size 42? BNIB? Check JimCav's ad in the classifieds.

Tom
01-13-2008, 01:10 AM
I can't ride across ice so I generally am not riding below 25 degrees. If it's cold, it had to be dry for a while so there's no ice out there.

I just take the orthotics out of the one pair of regular summer shoes so I can fit a heavy sock in there and wear Performance's version of a thick fleece lined neoprene bootie. It works fine for me, but as I say generally I'm on the road at 32 degrees, rarely am I on the road any colder than 25. I'm just cruising in the colder weather, so I don't care that the orthotics aren't there.

Like any other activity, if my head isn't warm and my torso isn't warm, my feet aren't warm. I could wear pacs with a 3/4 inch felt liner and my feet would still get cold. I make sure I have a toasty hat on and plenty of insulation under my jacket and I'm fine.

BBDave: You riding the centuries over in Schuylerville? How was it?

xjoex
01-13-2008, 09:19 AM
I get really cold feet in the winter, I used Sidetrak (http://www.excelsports.com/new.asp?page=8&description=Bootie+Neoprene+Ignite&vendorCode=SIDETRAK&major=5&minor=5) booties for the last 12 years with really good results. I use them for daily commuting in the winter and lots of other riding. But when it got below 30 I was never really comfortable. I prefer these to the Pearl Amfib ones as they are much easier to get on and off.

But last winter I purchased a pair of Diadora Chili Extreme shoes. Wow, what a difference. My feet are good down to 20 with just these shoes, and below 20 I wear the shoe covers too. They fit nice, and are not heavy. I cannot recommend these enough.

-Joe

djg
01-13-2008, 11:35 AM
I've had some Northwave winter road shoes for a few years and I like them. I tend to get cold toes faster than many folks -- it can be an issue skiing too -- and the winter shoes give me a little more time than heavy neoprene booties, and they're lighter and drier too. It's not all day comfort at 20 degrees, but it's way better than lorica plus a shoe cover.

BumbleBeeDave
01-13-2008, 11:41 AM
I can't ride across ice so I generally am not riding below 25 degrees. If it's cold, it had to be dry for a while so there's no ice out there.

I just take the orthotics out of the one pair of regular summer shoes so I can fit a heavy sock in there and wear Performance's version of a thick fleece lined neoprene bootie. It works fine for me, but as I say generally I'm on the road at 32 degrees, rarely am I on the road any colder than 25. I'm just cruising in the colder weather, so I don't care that the orthotics aren't there.

Like any other activity, if my head isn't warm and my torso isn't warm, my feet aren't warm. I could wear pacs with a 3/4 inch felt liner and my feet would still get cold. I make sure I have a toasty hat on and plenty of insulation under my jacket and I'm fine.

BBDave: You riding the centuries over in Schuylerville? How was it?

What centuries? Is this another John C. production? I did spin at the store Friday night, then weights and yoga class yesterday. Today is rest day and housecleaning!

BBD

Blue Jays
01-19-2008, 09:57 PM
11.4 and CNY Rider, thanks for the sizing information with regard to the improved 2008 Lake CXZ302 model.
Since I ride in Sidi Ergo 2 Carbons during the warm months, my inclination was initially to turn to Sidi. This is even with Sidi's annoying "twisting" heelpad that attaches to the sole with a single screw.
Feedback over the past few pages leads me to believe other vendors (specifically the 2008 Lake CXZ302) manufacture a very fine winter cycling shoes that can even be superior to the Sidi model in a variety of ways.

Blue Jays
01-20-2008, 10:05 PM
The tremendous cold snap occurring across the country makes these kind of shoes almost a necessity for comfortable pedaling outdoors!

Birddog
01-21-2008, 08:38 AM
I used my Northwave Celsius shoes yesterday for the first time. They are GREAT. The temp was 21* and my toes were a little chilly till the temp got up to about 26/7 degrees. Not killer cold, just chilly. I also used my Eggbeaters for the first time and they worked fine with the Celsius. I bought mine like BBD did back in the summer from Performance for about $100, a great deal.

Size wise, The NW's are 43's, a half size larger than I normally use. They were fine with my DeFeet Blaze socks which are med thickness. For comparison purposes, I usually wear a 43.5 in Diadora (A 43 barely works but with thin sock only) and a 42 in NW summer shoe. I'd say these NW 43's are 1/2 size larger than a Diadora 43.5. Hope that helps.

I tried these out last week in my regular summer shoes with covers they work too.
http://www.warmers.com/ItemDetails.aspx?itemid=FW10&pkey=Products%7cGrabber+Warmers%7cFoot+Warmers+(10 +pair)&pval=0%7c1%7cFW10&pIds=Showcase%7cCategoryID%7citemid,

Birddog

Mshue
12-31-2008, 09:12 AM
from wiggle for $99: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Northwave_Fahrenheit_CR_GTX_Boots/5360032089/.

Free shipping if you spend $145.

Just bought some for myself.

Mike