PDA

View Full Version : Post Turkey Day ride reports

CNY rider
11-23-2007, 06:28 PM
Gentlepersons, ride reports please.

I'll start it off: I managed to get my bloated carcass on the cross bike for 60 minutes of frozen-dirt seasonal road riding today.
Temp was 25 with intermittent snow showers.
No ride is bad when you end with bottles that look like this:

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l221/eribrav/IMG_1476.jpg

chuckroast
11-23-2007, 06:47 PM
Low 30's but mainly sunny today when I spent an hour on the MB. There's single track at a local lake here that's rocky and narrow but mainly flat. Some of the deeper woods part was still icy from snow and rain Wednesday but thankfully not too muddy to ride. Always fun but I also always rediscover how much I suck on a mountain bike.

manet
11-23-2007, 06:53 PM
.I managed to get my bloated carcass on the cross bike

wasfast
11-23-2007, 06:58 PM
66 miles of LSD with 6 others. Moderate amount of climbing. Temps were in the 30's and very hard east wind. However, the sun was out which is a rare treat in the PNW.

Tommorrow is 3 hours more.

justinf
11-23-2007, 07:09 PM
35 or so in Wilmington NC, solo shot. Just rode loops around the port and the water, out to wrightsville and back. 45', overcast but really nice vibes on the coast. Rode my CRL. . . what a bike. I always come back to it, and the ride is sublime, every bit as nice as the Peg, Sachs, and others. A good day.

BumbleBeeDave
11-23-2007, 07:19 PM
. . . to do a 30 miler today with another guy. But I took a look at the weather--temp 29 with 20 mph winds out of the NW with 27 mph gusts--called him and we both decided to bail.

Sorry. I admit it. I'm a wuss . . . :(

Maybe an hour tomorrow on the cross bike . . .

BBD

dauwhe
11-23-2007, 07:20 PM
Twelve miles in the cold and wind; stopped at the LBS to buy some winter shoes (Lake, on sale).

Looking forward to trying the new shoes tomorrow!

Dave

stevep
11-23-2007, 07:23 PM
got in 2 1/2
windy...around 30... not bad.

outside... thats what matters.

shanerpvt
11-23-2007, 07:36 PM
got a Mt Bike ride in wendsday and today.........been a while since i've been on the YETI. the high was in the low to mid 50's today here.......great day for a ride in the woods.

CNY rider
11-23-2007, 07:37 PM
Twelve miles in the cold and wind; stopped at the LBS to buy some winter shoes (Lake, on sale).

Looking forward to trying the new shoes tomorrow!

Dave

That's exactly what I was wearing today.
I have the previous generation model which is great in every way except for the closure. There's laces and then velcro straps. The velcro devours the laces at every opportunity.
I'm pretty sure all the current ones have a better closure system. You are going to love them.

CNY rider
11-23-2007, 07:39 PM

Yeah we both probably could have skipped that last piece of apple pie. :fight:

Mike748
11-23-2007, 07:52 PM
I planned ahead and rode Thursday morning... had to try out the new bike and new PI tights. Even here in N. Texas it was cold. Started off at 8am about 37F... finished at 11 at 40F. Good 45 miles, 3/4 of which was dead into a 20mph North wind. Brrr. It started snowing about 3pm, but I was cooking and drinking beer by then. Dogs liked it (snow, not beer, although Rocky the Ridgeback does like Shiner on occasion).

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e109/Mike748/IMG_17991.jpg

FATBOY
11-23-2007, 07:59 PM
On my way to eat turkey I road through a waterfowl conservation area on the Great Salt Lake to see cranes, herons, ducks and geese of all sorts do their thing. That was the cool part. Feet froze solid an hour into a four hour ride. That was the cold part. Warmed back up with a big plate of food and watched my 15 month old go nuts with his first real Thanksgiving meal. That was the best part. Today I road to the shop (it took longer to dress for the cold) and swapped "I was this cold" stories with the guys and realized that Black Friday is for box stores. Now it is time for the dark ride home to put up the tree with the 4 year old. That will be good too.

Karin Kirk
11-23-2007, 08:18 PM
I have been a sloth lately and after the mega-feast yesterday I vowed to get out today no matter what! I went for a solo skate ski on very crappy snow, but it still felt super to get my heart rate up. One section had weedy stubble with not enough snow over it and it kept grabbing the skis out from under me. It was entertaining until I came crashing down in a big heap!

Tomorrow maybe I'll try for a road ride (after reading the posts here it dawned on me that there's no reason not to ride!) or skin up something with more snow. As a last resort, I might go running - ick. But sheesh, I need to get back into a routine asap.

gdw
11-23-2007, 08:21 PM
I rode for an hour and a half yesterday and saw a handfull of cyclists. Lots of walkers and runners but the snow and sub freezing temperatures kept the two wheeled inside.

RudAwkning
11-23-2007, 08:24 PM
Did Mount Hamilton (19 mile/4200 ft. ascent) yesterday. Did Mount Diablo (14 ugly miles/3500 ft. with HEAVY wind) today. Will round out the hat trick tomorrow with Mount Tamalpais. Haven't done Tam in 9 years so am looking forward to it. The Kirk will be accompanying me.

bigman
11-23-2007, 08:39 PM
35 disjointed miles in abnormally warm weather on Long Island- followed by a cold very windy but sunny late morning easy 20 miler today. Not enough to cancel out the apple pie.

saab2000
11-23-2007, 08:43 PM
Flew 'til 2 PM on Turkey Day. Then watched the glorious Packers finish off the Lions. Went to bed at 9 PM after being up 19 hours.

Jogged/shuffled/trotted a few miles in Arlington, VA today before flying home to Mich Mich.

Blue Jays
11-23-2007, 08:47 PM
Thursday, 11/22 -- 45 miles
Friday, 11/23 -- 40 miles
Saturday, 11/24 -- 40 miles planned
Sunday, 11/25 -- 55 miles planned

jbl
11-23-2007, 08:47 PM
We had an odd sunny and 65F day yesterday, so I rode up to Nyack via the Palisades Park to work off some emotional energy. It was gorgeous, but I am definitely lugging a few extra pounds around. I got a little lost in upper Nyack doing some exploring. I wish I'd had a camera. The leaves in the Park were gorgeous. It was a little like cycling the yellow brick (leaf) road.

ClutchCargo
11-23-2007, 08:58 PM
Thanksgiving morning, 38 miles with a good friend in North Salem, NY.
started off about 8:00 a.m. in fog and about 44 degrees. warmed up a bit
later. Today was just a quick 24 miles in much colder and windier
conditions - around 38 degrees. it's all good !

Tomorrow, maybe some mountain biking . . . my dog needs the exercise !

Ride on!

Jeff N.
11-23-2007, 09:10 PM
Did about 40 plus miles around Orange County yesterday, solo, before stuffing myself at my niece's house. Nothing but the flat stuff, hardly a car on the road. Rode by old stomping grounds in Fullerton, Anaheim, Tustin. Lotsa changes. Got a cup at a Starbucks. Nice morning for sure. Jeff N.

toaster
11-23-2007, 09:10 PM
Southern California, starting temperature: 53 degrees, high temperatures in mid-sixties.

Wednesday: 75 miles, approximately 3,000 ft. of climbing.

Thursday: 70 miles, approximately 2,500 ft. of climbing.

Friday: 73 miles, approximately 2,000 ft. ft of climbing.

It doesn't get much better than this.

rwsaunders
11-23-2007, 09:13 PM
35 miles this afternoon, 33 degrees, light snow and decent headwinds. No other cyclists to report sir, although I spotted 2 runners, 4 walkers and a dog walker, illegally pooping her mutt in a neighbors yard.

Full moon tonight, low in the 20's. Hopefully, things warm a bit tomorrow morning for the Dirty Dozen cyclists who are off at 10 am.

Blue Jays
11-23-2007, 10:26 PM
OK, toaster, enough making us totally jealous with the warm temperatures! :)

gomez308
11-24-2007, 07:52 AM
I rode 26 miles yesterday. Just putzed along and enjoyed the fall weather. It was 40ish which was cold for me.

Mike 748. I love your ridgeback. We had to put ours down a few years ago. We had her for 12 years and she was my best friend.

Fat Robert
11-24-2007, 07:58 AM
it was 51 and sunny yesterday, 20-30mph wind

i am such a wimp now

i thought it was cold

got in 3 hours, longest ride of the year

used one bottle

i thought i was only going to ride for maybe 90 minutes

i was ok, because i had to stop to pee every 20 minutes

so i guess i was hydrated enough

but i hate long rides

such a wimp

today, some 20-minute intervals

when does racing start again?

barry1021
11-24-2007, 09:18 AM
In Scottsdale was a perfect 75-80 degrees, and I did Bartlett Lake for the first time, with the wife driving support in case I couldn't finish. I think its 14 miles to the lake (where the water line is scary low) and about 4500 feet of climb back. The hardest part is leaving the lake where it is a straight climb for what feels like forever with no flats to catch your breath. But I made it, with a few stops, using a double with a 27 rear. Not bad for an overweight, double nickel guy. So counting the to and from to the lake road, about 35 miles with more climbing than I have ever done. The turkey tasted especially good.

b21

TMB
11-24-2007, 09:23 AM
In Scottsdale was a perfect 75-80 degrees, and I did Bartlett Lake for the first time, with the wife driving support in case I couldn't finish. I think its 14 miles to the lake (where the water line is scary low) and about 4500 feet of climb back. The hardest part is leaving the lake where it is a straight climb for what feels like forever with no flats to catch your breath. But I made it, with a few stops, using a double with a 27 rear. Not bad for an overweight, double nickel guy. So counting the to and from to the lake road, about 35 miles with more climbing than I have ever done. The turkey tasted especially good.

b21

Congrats!!

We're doing that one next year.

If i did a ride and asked my wife and kids to ride support I'd never be able to finish, the kids would be offering "encouragment" out the window and Guinness the wonder Springer Spaniel would be hanging out the window, ears flying, barking like a mad fool at me.

I'd never finish!! :rolleyes:

bironi
11-24-2007, 10:00 AM
Just wanted to get the newly built up fix out for a test ride. Rode to the bike shop, made a couple seat adjustments, left bike there, and went across the street for a couple local pints, rode home. Total mileage ~10. :beer:

72gmc
11-24-2007, 10:03 AM
Black Friday was cold enough to keep post-apocalyptic iPod zombies off the trail, the sun was out, and I had a 2-hour window. So I took a rare leisurely ride off the streets.

Things I like: toasty toe covers. Bigger tires for semi-frozen dirt trails. Washed and waxed seaplanes (except the Otters were too far away to get with a camera phone). Greenlake crew oars sanded and ready for repaint. A bike that's made for good times.

Jack Brunk
11-24-2007, 12:42 PM
50 miles on turkey day with the Crumpton. 50 miles yesterday on the C50 and taking a day off today. Tomorrow will be either a road or Mtn bike day.

BumbleBeeDave
11-24-2007, 05:39 PM
. . . in today. Just 21 on the crossbike on the bike trail. At dusk. Man, it got dark QUICK!

Global warming my @ss! It's COLD out there!

BBD

barry1021
11-24-2007, 06:00 PM
Congrats!!

We're doing that one next year.

If i did a ride and asked my wife and kids to ride support I'd never be able to finish, the kids would be offering "encouragment" out the window and Guinness the wonder Springer Spaniel would be hanging out the window, ears flying, barking like a mad fool at me.

I'd never finish!! :rolleyes:

she just drove by every once in a while to make sure I hadn't expired. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

PoppaWheelie
11-24-2007, 07:09 PM
Popped up to Northern (NORTH...Trinity Alps) California to my father in-law's place on Wed. Got out Thursday, Friday and today in the ultra-crisp sunny mid-30's weather. Awesome...some of the best roads in the country up here.

However, I was fat when I left SF and I'll be fatter when I go back tomorrow.