PDA

View Full Version : rolls and regal

Fixed
11-22-2007, 09:15 PM
so bro i have both what is the difference ? i might say the regal is more comfy but that may be the bike it's on they seem like bros to me
cheers :beer:

TMB
11-22-2007, 09:18 PM
so bro i have both what is the difference ? i might say the regal is more comfy but that may be the bike it's on they seem like bros to me
cheers :beer:

Regal is the only non-Brooks saddle worth owning.

Rolls is 2nd best.

Rolls is flatter across the top.

rounder
11-22-2007, 09:26 PM
Good question. I have a rolls on the nhx (third one and love the way it looks and rides), but am thinking of a regal for the ciii, not sure why but like the way the rivets look and just wanted to try one. I don't care how nice the new saddles are, not gonna pay 200 for one.

btw...happy thanksgiving fixed.

Fixed
11-22-2007, 09:34 PM
thank you and to you bro
before i got these i had 100 g. saddles that even with bike shorts were not comfy now i can ride all day in cargo shorts and be fine ...it seems to me bike shorts get more paddin and saddles get lighter and smaller and not very good except to weigh them
cheers imho :beer:
a good saddle is important i didn't know how much untill i got a good one

TMB
11-22-2007, 09:44 PM
I have been using Regals since the mid-80's.

Tried a couple of other saddles, went back to Regals.

Tried a SLR because I was told it the greatest comfiest thing ever made AND it was 125 gms!!

I couldn't wait to get it off my bike. Damn thing just about cut part of me off and I like that part.

Went back to Regals.

Honest to God - who cares if their Saddle only weighs 125 gms? The difference between that a Regal is less than 1/2 pound.

When I weigh 15 pounds less and have 0% body fat maybe I'll care- right now I want to be comfy and enjoy riding my bike.

Regal and Brooks Swift.

bironi
11-22-2007, 10:15 PM
Fixed,
I have been on Rolls for several years, and one Regal on the fixed for about 1 1/2 years. Both are very comfy. The Regal gets cushion from the thin plastic shell with a light cushion leather cover. The Rolls gets it comfort from a much thicker cushion below the leather cover. I stick in one position on the Rolls, but move around more on the Regal. The Regal also seems to have a longer nose, and thus has more fore to aft positioning. Both work great for me. Now if I could only break myself from leaning the bike up against abrasive surfaces that quickly make my saddles look old.
Byron

Ray
11-23-2007, 04:34 AM
Despite what others sometimes say, I find the shape to be as close to identical as I can perceive. The Rolls is more padded than the Regal to be sure, but the shapes are either exactly the same or close enough not to matter. I like 'em both, rode Rolls as my primary roadie saddle for a while (always with the B-17 on one or two bikes), but gave it up for the Aliante when that came along. To ME, its more comfortable than the Rolls and it is also lighter, although not one of the super light saddles out there. Your mileage WILL vary because we're talking about saddles here and what works for one could not have less to do with what will work for another.

-Ray

mcteague
11-23-2007, 06:27 AM
I'm thinking of getting a Regal after tearing up my Aliante in a crash. My old Fizik has different foam than the new ones and was more comfortable. I just tried a Brooks Swift for 400 miles but just don't find it getting better. Pretty good, but not as nice as the Aliante so I guess it will go on the classified forum. The Regal looks cool and the shape is similar to the Aliante so who knows.

Tim McTeague

Climb01742
11-23-2007, 06:32 AM
not surprisingly, the competitive cyclist site has good write-ups on how the saddles are slightly different.

Simon Q
11-23-2007, 06:51 AM
I'm thinking of getting a Regal after tearing up my Aliante in a crash. My old Fizik has different foam than the new ones and was more comfortable. I just tried a Brooks Swift for 400 miles but just don't find it getting better. Pretty good, but not as nice as the Aliante so I guess it will go on the classified forum. The Regal looks cool and the shape is similar to the Aliante so who knows.

Tim McTeague

Tim! Don't lose the faith brother. aliante rocks - old school shape with modern tech. Are you sure that they chnaged the padding?

keno
11-23-2007, 07:44 AM
Maybe I have all my perceptive abilities in the tush, but I feel a significant difference between the two. I have three Regals and my testing days are done.

Now, if I can only get the $77 bucks from fly for the fizik Aliante I bought with his guarantee and he took off my butt.

keno

e-RICHIE
11-23-2007, 07:53 AM
I have three Regals and my testing days are done.
so - keno gets it atmo.

JonB
11-23-2007, 07:58 AM
How about the Turbo Special. I have two of 'em and like them every bit as much as the Regal.

ERDR
11-23-2007, 07:59 AM
i agree with the consensus here. regal. classic look and shape. fits my butt well, but to each his own. however, i think it fits most people. some of the ultralight saddles are more variable in whose butt they will fit.
now, if you can find a white perforated. that is way pimp.
s.

dirtdigger88
11-23-2007, 08:11 AM
i agree with the consensus here. regal. classic look and shape. fits my butt well, but to each his own. . . . now, if you can find a white perforated. that is way pimp.
s.

personally- I think the yellow perforated is just about as pimp as it gets-

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l162/dirt_011/tape002-1.jpg

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l162/dirt_011/tape003-1.jpg

now if I could just get a red bike to go with it :rolleyes:

Jason

Fixed
11-23-2007, 08:32 AM
bro you saving that for the new bike ? it would look great
imho cheers

dirtdigger88
11-23-2007, 08:34 AM
bro you saving that for the new bike ? it would look great
imho cheers

yes- Sir Fixed, I am!

Jason

H.Frank Beshear
11-23-2007, 08:41 AM
personally- I think the yellow perforated is just about as pimp as it gets-

now if I could just get a red bike to go with it :rolleyes:

Jason

Someday Santa will bring you a shiny new sled :D

shanerpvt
11-23-2007, 08:44 AM
yes- Sir Fixed, I am!

Jason

red bike w/ yellow..................hum.....................so und exciting.

very nice stable you are building their.

shaner

dirtdigger88
11-23-2007, 08:45 AM
:beer:

red bike w/ yellow..................hum.....................so und exciting.

very nice stable you are building their.

shaner

thanks :rolleyes: stick around and see the finished product- I am now about 2 years away :D

my bet is that it will cause a stir :cool:

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l162/dirt_011/tape006-1.jpg

Jason

mcteague
11-23-2007, 09:04 AM
Tim! Don't lose the faith brother. aliante rocks - old school shape with modern tech. Are you sure that they chnaged the padding?

I posted a query about this a while back. My several year old Aliante has VERY soft padding, almost like cheap open cell foam. I tried a Gamma version and the foam was much more firm as was the carbon railed version I checked out at a LBS. My theory is that the soft foam just adds a touch of comfort and it is the shape of the saddle that makes it so nice, along with the give in the carbon base. Dense foam actually can make things worse as it must displace somewhere and that somewhere can cause pressure points. Fizik tells me they use the same foam throughout the Aliante line so maybe first generation was made differently.

I almost ordered a carbon railed Aliante from Performance as it was on sale and they had a one day 20% coupon. But, I worry about the reliability of those carbon rails. The newest version no longer uses the aluminum sleeves so perhaps it is more rugged.

Tim

Fixed
11-23-2007, 09:17 AM
bro i know saddles and they are different for every but .for me the Aliante
is not in the same league as a regal or rolls plus they seem to be made a lot cheaper i do have one it's on my cadd 7 it the Aliante seems to look nice on it though i have carbon railed model
cheers imho

TMB
11-23-2007, 09:43 AM

Tim McTeague

Before you stick it on classifieds send me a PM.

mcteague
11-23-2007, 04:41 PM
Before you stick it on classifieds send me a PM.
PM sent.

Tim McTeague

stevep
11-23-2007, 04:50 PM
i couldnt use either...found them too wide for my thighs.

saddles... what works is best.

e-RICHIE
11-23-2007, 04:56 PM
i couldnt use either...found them too wide for my thighs.

i have a narrow red one that will fit you perfectly atmo.

stevep
11-23-2007, 05:05 PM

i have 5 saddles...waiting to be called to action...
dont need , dont want anything else.

ill try anything but saddles.

swoop
11-23-2007, 05:07 PM

pooch mounted a stem from the seat clamp. he can grip it using some old schol ninja suction technique that chuck norris taught him in a cage in nam.
he's like an octopus among men.

stevep
11-23-2007, 06:18 PM
pooch mounted a stem from the seat clamp. he can grip it using some old schol ninja suction technique that chuck norris taught him in a cage in nam.
he's like an octopus among men.

you get used to it...
better than some gel thing...atmo

kestrel
11-24-2007, 03:22 PM
For those of you bored enough to check out this link, here is a Rolls and a Regal of mine in picture comparison side by side, top, bottom, etc. (3 or 4 rows down from the top)

http://s36.photobucket.com/albums/e19/serotta/?start=0