PDA

View Full Version : Serotta built MURRAY questions...

vjp
11-22-2007, 06:13 PM
I had been on the lookout for a Serotta built "MURRAY" 7-Eleven Team or replica bike for a while and on Hallowe'en I managed to snag one with a BIN on ebay.

I had a small understanding of the bikes and have since scoured these forum archives and others and have gained more knowledge but thought maybe that some members here would have more info.

The serial # is 61026 which indicates that it was built in Oct. of 1986. I have e-mailed Serotta James and he said that they don't have records back that far. The 7-11 bikes were badged "HUFFY" and were built with True Temper tubing for the 1987 season so I am assuming that my bike would have been one of last of the "Murray" builds. Does anyone know what month Serotta started building the Huffy bikes?

The bike was listed on EBAY as being SLX and was one of the reasons I bought it. After tearing it down I found that there is no "rifling" in any of the tubes and it is VERY light which makes me think that it might be Columbus KL which I read, Serotta built some team bikes with. It weighs 3lbs. 12.6oz. (1720 gm.) for the frame which is sized 56 ctc ST and 55 TT. Pretty light, maybe it is the TDF lugs? I have other frames that are SL and the lightest is a fraction of an oz. under 4 lbs. Do you think that it is KL?

The bike has a 74 deg. HT and a 72 deg. ST (which sort of surprised me) and the chainstays are 41.5 cm long with the left hand side having the "Phinney bend"

I'll post some pics after I have cleaned it up and put it back together.

Thanks

vjp

stevep
11-22-2007, 07:09 PM
thats really light for a 56 cm frame.
i recall the kl as a very limited use tubing..ultra light and with weight restrictions.
there are enough builders here who can give more info on that.

maybe it was one of the boys' climbing bikes...
who knows

vjp
11-22-2007, 08:32 PM
I want to ride this bike, I know the EL, KL and Record tubesets are really for lightweights and I am 200 lbs. Time to diet!

TMB
11-22-2007, 08:39 PM
I want to ride this bike, I know the EL, KL and Record tubesets are really for lightweights and I am 200 lbs. Time to diet!
Vic,

I have an EL that I ride a lot and I am no lightweight.

Congrats - great score!!