PDA

View Full Version : the woman's touch

bironi
11-21-2007, 11:24 PM
I am looking for advice from the women on the forum. I am looking for a thank you gift to a kind local rider who lent me her fixed gear for a couple weeks. I crashed mine, and put out a plea to those my size for a temporary loaner. This was my only fendered bike, and I was willing to ride anything that fit. I only had to plug in my seat post with saddle, swap the pedals, and I was off. :beer:

She is a fashion-plate on the bike, new, color coordinated jerses, hats, socks, etc. She has an attitude also. She bought a Surley hat, thinking that she sometimes feel surly, not knowing that it was a brand. She almost joined the local roller derby women's team, but opted out after hearing how common the injuries were, but I am sure she could out-skate most.

Anyway, I am looking for cycling style statements that you might think fit. I know a friend of hers that I might run the ideas by before purchase. I appreciate her generosity, and would like to return the favor in cycling style.

I think I just set a personal record for the length of a post.

Thanks in advance,
Byron

julia
11-21-2007, 11:53 PM
bironi,

wow, how thoughtful. there are so many great options, kinda depends how much you want to spend.

if she's into wool, i just picked up one of the new sugoi jerseys - actually, it has no pockets, so is meant as an underlayer, but it's beautifully styled (red/gray details) and unbelievably soft. it's my favorite new garment.
http://sugoi.com/item/76111/SUG19702F

some gorgeous castelli jerseys, if she dresses roadie style, take a bet she'd love one. check out the spettacollo!
http://www.castelli-us.com/m-4-winter-0708.aspx

for something smaller, smartwool socks, can't go wrong there. . .lots more ideas. . .have fun, she'll love this

julia

bironi
11-22-2007, 12:31 AM
Julia,

She is into wool, but I would feel more comfortable with a cap, or jersey. The smart wool socks are a no brainer, regardless of sex.

Thanks

swoop
11-22-2007, 01:05 AM
nothing says i love you but not that way .. like a gallon jug of nutella (the black tar heroin for the serious biker in your life).

dumonde tech, the gucci of chain lubes.
nrg warming gel, let her legs know they matter.
rapha cycling cap, pimp knows no gender.
bergamo warm weather cap, the perfect cozy for your noggin.
rapha knee warmers.
a box of goo, the bread and butter of base miles,
a case of threaded c02 cartridges.
a parktools pro shop pump...

you see the direction i'm going.. nothing that has a subtext... but all stuff that's top shelf indulgent gear.

atmo.

Ginger
11-22-2007, 01:15 AM
Swoop's on the right track.

andy mac
11-22-2007, 01:30 AM
send her fixed.

:beer:

RABikes2
11-22-2007, 01:41 AM
If you want clothing, Terry has a bolero that is a fabulous gift. There are two styles; the light weight bolero (comes in black, pink, lemon, or silver) and the heavier weight bolero (black only). Boleros are very popular and stylish; the women love them. Comes in two sizes; S/M and L/XL. Add a pair of very cute Sock Guy Wool Dragonfly Socks and you're set to go.
Just ideas . . .
RA

rwsaunders
11-22-2007, 08:20 AM
Arrange an evening for her with the original new-age sensitive man, Bumble Bee Dave. Oh, I forgot. You said that she was a nice person.

Day spa gift certificates instead, although I like the Rapha idea too.

manet
11-22-2007, 09:04 AM
http://www.rapha.cc/index.php?page=96

Longdaddy
11-22-2007, 09:25 AM
check out www.walzcaps.com

custom made/personalized cycling caps

Ti Designs
11-22-2007, 09:36 AM
I am looking for advice from the women on the forum.

I don't meet the basic requirment to answer, but I would go with a half bottle of icewine or a late harvest vidal. I'm just thinking of all the bike related gifts I've gotten over the years and how they were all somehow just a little off the mark.

jerk
11-22-2007, 09:41 AM
easy... dont insult a womans sense of style especially if you feel hers to be more refined than your own. clothing is a huge no no. youll invariably buy something she will hate, or it wont fit. your best bet is to buy her a classy cycling specific hard good she can use. i suggest a silca track pump retrofitted with the presta only head.

jerk

Fixed
11-22-2007, 09:56 AM
dumonde tech i just paid 20 for a bottle is that the goin rate ?
cheers

mwos
11-22-2007, 10:15 AM
bikegifts.net

All bicycling related gifts. Lots of jewelry but also other bike related items.

I'm not much for wearing jewelry but I have the "Cyclist & Sun" necklace by Dana Paige and I wear it everywhere. I get lots of comments and compliments too.

I also say no to a jersey also unless you know which brands fit her. Some brands fit women better than others.

Karin Kirk
11-22-2007, 10:26 AM
If she's a style-monger that means she's really specific about what she picks out, which probably means it will be tough for you to nail it.

However, you can't go wrong with cool socks, and one can never have enough of them. (Right, Ginger?)

I also like Swoop's ideas, or a bottle of ice wine (always wanted to try that).

Or a gift card from a bike-related place or anywhere else that's fun and maybe a bit luxurious.

Very nice of you to give her a gift as a way of saying thanks. That right there is the most important thing - she'll be happy, no doubt!

mwos
11-22-2007, 11:16 AM
Two more women specific websites for clothing and gifts

Teamestrogen.com and Outdoordivas.com

swoop
11-22-2007, 12:25 PM
i'm just saying.. not intimates, not too personal, no subtext.

manet
11-22-2007, 12:28 PM
clomiphene

SadieKate
11-22-2007, 01:02 PM
The bottle of wine is always nice.

There is also a flask holder -- http://www.ahearnecycles.com/flask.htm

A Soma coffee holder -- http://www.somafab.com/morningrush.html

A Soma Woodie tool -- http://www.somafab.com/woodies.html

All kinds of interesting items from Team Estrogen or Terry Cycles

RABikes2
11-22-2007, 02:40 PM
-Nice bottle of wine
-Gift certificate from a nice restaurant
-Gift certificate from local bike shop
-Gift certificate for 1/2 or 1 hour massage
-Gift certificate from ie: Fresh Market
And the list goes on ... :banana:

Fixed
11-22-2007, 03:19 PM
campy peanutbutter wrench bro
every li'l fixie wants one
imho
cheers :beer:

mikki
11-22-2007, 05:17 PM
I second what RABikes 2 suggested about gift certificates and have a couple to add:

www.teamestrogen.com
www.terrybicycles.com

Since it seems by your post she has a fashion sense ,it might be safer to give her a gift certificate that allows her to choose for herself IMHO