PDA

View Full Version : Please help me identify this mid 90's CSi (?)

Mike748
11-21-2007, 12:50 PM
I recently bought this bike and joined the forum. James was not able to give me too much info on it, so I was hoping the forum members could help.

I believe it is a 95/96 CSi in Coors Light livery. There is no model name on the bike. Serial no. is CC5912xx. Campy Chorus & Record components, with Record Titanium 8spd brifters. Tubing is Colorado Concept CCL. Top tube is ovalized with lugged/fillet brazed joints at head tube and seat tube. Fully lugged bottom bracket with S logo. Shimano rear drop outs. F1 fork. Wheels have Chorus hubs, Mavic Reflex clincher rims. My guess is it was a custom as it is a 59 with a 56 top tube.

I put it at 95/95 because of the Chorus '96 headset, Record Ti brifters and the F1 fork, which all debuted around then. Am I right that it is a CSi model? Or something else.

The bike came out of a time capsule. Other than one paint chip above the front derailleur which happened in shipment to me, the paint is perfect. I took her completely apart, cleaned inside and out, added frame-saver and rebuilt with fresh lube, chain & rubber. Rides fantastic and the fit is perfect for me. Black/white bar tape was not a success... suggestions?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Mike

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e109/Mike748/IMG_1839.jpg

Sandy
11-21-2007, 01:11 PM
I would think that Kelly Bedford or Dave Kirk could help you in identifying such.

Very nice looking bike. It appears to be in wonderful condition. Wish I was. :)

Sandy

ShockTreatment
11-21-2007, 02:40 PM
Looks essentially the same as my '96 CSi custom, which also has the fillet brazed joints and a serial number starting with CC.

rwsaunders
11-21-2007, 02:43 PM
The lugs and the tubing would seem to lean toward a CSI. Dave T.?

dirtdigger88
11-21-2007, 02:48 PM
my old CSi was one of the half breeds-

if I remember right- Dave Kirk told me it would have been a 95 or 96

Jason

dave thompson
11-21-2007, 03:06 PM
IIRC, the CSi with lugged/fillet brazed joints was because there were no lugs to accomodate the oversized tubes used, so they had to be hand fabricated. Took a lot of work. Dave Kirk did most of them.

ShockTreatment
11-21-2007, 03:26 PM
IIRC, the CSi with lugged/fillet brazed joints was because there were no lugs to accomodate the oversized tubes used, so they had to be hand fabricated. Took a lot of work. Dave Kirk did most of them.
When I bought mine in Jan 96, the stock CSIs where fully lugged, but the custom models had the half lug/fillet brazed joints. That's how my LBS explained it at the time.

That Coors bike is beautiful.

David Kirk
11-21-2007, 03:31 PM
my old CSi was one of the half breeds-

if I remember right- Dave Kirk told me it would have been a 95 or 96

Jason

That sounds about right.

It's good to see one again. Nice bikes. As cool as it is it's not a team issue bike just in case you were wondering. None of the team bikes got a pump peg. Team bikes got a number plate hanger instead.

Enjoy the ride and welcome to the Forum.

Dave

Mike748
11-21-2007, 04:17 PM
Gentlemen, thank you for the informative responses. I am really enjoying the bike and this forum! I'm so impressed with the Serotta brand that I just bought a second one, to replace my "daily driver" / all weather bike. Its a 2006 Fierte Ti, purchased nos. The CSi will see mainly Sunday morning fair weather use.

Now I have a bike for almost each decade of my cycling life... my 1981 Miyata 710 with its sweet Tange cro-mo frame (bought new when I worked in a bike shop in high school), now running as a single-speed. Too bad I don't have my old Raleigh Gran Prix anymore or I'd have the 70's covered too. Oh, and for the 60's I have my 1962 BSA Golden Clubman 3spd which I still ride now and then with my daughter. Had that one in the family since new too.

So maybe my wife is right about the bike population... maybe just one more.

Ken Robb
11-21-2007, 04:32 PM
I think if the decal says C4 tubes it would be a CSI wouldn't it?

steelrider
11-21-2007, 06:22 PM
Regardless of the year she was made, that is one sweet bike.

BumbleBeeDave
11-21-2007, 08:39 PM
That IS beautiful!

I agree about the bar tape--just doesn't quite work. Have you tried either solid yellow or solid white? I think I saw some NOS tape on ebay that's white to yellow fade or silver to yellow . . . yup, here it is . . .

http://cgi.ebay.com/Ciclolinea-Pelten-Shade-Handlebar-Tape-Sil-Yellow-Fade_W0QQitemZ200175367049QQihZ010QQcategoryZ27951 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

BBD

Mike748
11-21-2007, 09:36 PM
That's cool, never seen it before. I'll have to buy some for when the bike becomes a wall hanger... not sure I can ride vinyl tape anymore. I've got some yellow/black fleck cork tape I'm going to try. Otherwise I guess solid white...

barry1021
11-21-2007, 11:28 PM
That's cool, never seen it before. I'll have to buy some for when the bike becomes a wall hanger... not sure I can ride vinyl tape anymore. I've got some yellow/black fleck cork tape I'm going to try. Otherwise I guess solid white...

black tape would be fine. The frame is beautiful but not flashy, and I would mute the "accessories" as much as possible. YMMV. Great bike, definitely droolworthy....seems like a post with some pix of your fleet would be in order!!

B21

dave thompson
11-21-2007, 11:30 PM
Hmm, just my size.

Keith A
11-22-2007, 09:39 AM
Looks great! As for the bar tape...red might look nice :)

barry1021
11-22-2007, 10:11 AM
Looks great! As for the bar tape...red might look nice :)

some of this. Would pick up the colors nicely

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=36238

b21