PDA

View Full Version : Oversized Bars

mso
11-21-2007, 09:48 AM
Are there any real benefits to converting to an oversized bar and stem (31.8)?

Volant
11-21-2007, 09:57 AM
Stiffness (less flex), but the OS usually comes with a weight penalty.

The real benefit is that you get to buy all sorts of new goodies (new stem, new computer, new tape, and of course, you'll need a new MeiVici to go along with those new bars). :)

CNY rider
11-21-2007, 10:01 AM
Are there any real benefits to converting to an oversized bar and stem (31.8)?

Yes, if you work for one of the companies that makes bars and stems.

So few of us can flex the 26 mm bars that I'd guess we're not a statistically significant group.

gdw
11-21-2007, 10:40 AM
Standardization. The industry is pushing 31.8mm for both mountain and road bars. Weight weenie mtbers can shave a few grams from their bikes using ultra light road stems* and roadies will be able to find beefy mtb models in a variety of different lengths and rises. Is their any real performance advantage for the average rider? No.

*Dentists across the country will benefit from their stupidity.

jimcav
11-21-2007, 10:49 AM
or, if you have a new bike with 31.8, then you can get OS to make all your "old" bikes compatible so that eventually all the stems and bars you have lying around will work together.

next stop is integrated bars on all your bikes. if you are considering that, then please consider buying my meivici.

I have never broken bars even mtb'ing, but imagine that OS is stronger, so maybe if that is a concern and you want carbon bars OS might be the way to go.
It can't all be bar stiffness though, otherwise there would be no rationale for the supposedly super stiff stems out there--like the ITM uniko/k-sword stuff.

Jim