PDA

View Full Version : OT Wine recommendation

Chad Engle
11-21-2007, 08:55 AM
Family is headed my way tomorrow for Thanksgiving. I am a beer guy. Please provide some recommendations for a wine to accompany Thanksgiving dinner.

Have a wonderful holiday weekend all.

Chad

SamIAm
11-21-2007, 08:59 AM
Pinot is a good pairing with Turkey if you like red. Chardonnay if it is relatively unoaked and crisp is a nice white pairing. Champagne, especially a Brut Rose, pairs wonderfully with almost anything on the table. Sauvignon Blanc works well also.

Kevan
11-21-2007, 09:11 AM
a dry Spanish rosa. My favorite liquory also recommended a French version which I also bought to try.

I thought it was time to give the Thanksgiving meal some blush and the stuff I drank over on the other side of the pond (Spanish) earlier this year was simply outstanding. Nice and dry, but with a nice taste of fruit without being at all sweet.

Can't suggest a particular bottle, but ask your local liquory-guy and see what he says.

e-RICHIE
11-21-2007, 09:13 AM
Please provide some recommendations for a wine to accompany Thanksgiving dinner.

Chad
get a nice jewish american princess atmo -

http://www.nextbook.org/images/features/feature_209_story.jpg

Kevan
11-21-2007, 09:16 AM

not whine.

goonster
11-21-2007, 09:20 AM
Cru Beaujolais. Ask the store for a recommendation. Very good values can be had for under $20.

I've also heard sound arguments that Thanksgiving is the one occasion where it is acceptable for civilized people to drink white Zinfandel. Uniquely American occasion, lots of folks who don't normally drink wine, cheap, etc. Buy the most expensive bottles in that otherwise contemptible section of the store, stay away from Sutter Home, and possibly make some people happy.

gt6267a
11-21-2007, 09:26 AM
ridge zin for a little under $20. can't go wrong. note, in the ridge line the numbers go up rapidly so don't just grab a bottle and run ...

Kurt
11-21-2007, 09:28 AM
I dont know your price range, but Chateauneuf du Pape, a rhone, is always a safe choice, grenache is a easy to pair up grape for most anything on the table and many are available in large format. If I had to choose I might do Vieux Telegraphe, its one of the leading estates and near the bottom of the higher end wine, but there is a ton to choose from. anything from 2003+ will do the trick, and most any CDP will do as they have been having a good run for years. On the white side I would do a Grüner Veltliner, which is the most widely planted grape variety in Austria. I won't bother with any specific one, your local wine store can help you, but most white drinkers and also us red ones really like the stuff and good ones can be had in the $15 range.

eddief
11-21-2007, 09:32 AM
nice bottle, great color, tastes good too. An easy pleaser for most drinkers and I'd bet great with turkey.

Too Tall
11-21-2007, 09:34 AM
nice bottle, great color, tastes good too. An easy pleaser for most drinkers and I'd bet great with turkey.
+1 Has zero snob appeal. Seems univerally appreciated.

BURCH
11-21-2007, 09:37 AM
A sparkling burgundy (champagne style wine made from Pinto Noir grapes). It goes perfectly with Turkey day because it has a slight tartness that really cuts thru all the heavy foods. mmmm, I can taste it now.

Sparkling wines/Champagnes are not paired enough with main courses.

mschol17
11-21-2007, 10:00 AM
I'd recommend something lighter, like Beaujolais Nouveau. Or maybe even Champagne.

spiderman
11-21-2007, 10:09 AM
here's the link...
...to the best kept secret
in the world!
this will make us best friends:

http://www.lslwinery.com/About%20us.htm

Volant
11-21-2007, 10:10 AM
Family is headed my way tomorrow for Thanksgiving. I am a beer guy. Please provide some recommendations for a wine to accompany Thanksgiving dinner.

Chad

Chad,
Get the family to upgrade to beer. :beer:
Cheers.

J.Greene
11-21-2007, 10:14 AM
I've also heard sound arguments that Thanksgiving is the one occasion where it is acceptable for civilized people to drink white Zinfandel.

I won't touch the stuff. I do say thanks for white zin though. Without it, my favorite grape would have been bulldozed into oblivion long ago.

JG

jghall
11-21-2007, 10:36 AM
Many good recommendations. I'm not sure you really can go wrong with a pick to go with turkey. Though personally I would shy away from wines that lean toward an "oak'y" aftertaste. Like the good alcoholic family we are, there usually is a bottle of each so people can choose; well-rounded white, red, and some sparling wine. :rolleyes:

Riesling would do well. Comes with either a peach/melon or flowery taste. As would Gewurztramier(sp?), which also have a hint of a fruit(grape) or flowers(roses).

For me, young and fresh wines that accent more toward fruits, really bring out the food. Plus cuts through some of the heaviness of a turket feast.

As with most things, you can pay as little as $10 a bottle, or to whatever your budget allows.

Enjoy and Happy Thanksgiving.

Regards,
Jeff

Kevan
11-21-2007, 11:07 AM
Chad,
Get the family to upgrade to beer. :beer:
Cheers.

I picked up a 6 pk each of Stone's pale ale and IPA.

I dare saw there will be plenty of leftovers.

SadieKate
11-21-2007, 11:13 AM
I won't touch the stuff. I do say thanks for white zin though. Without it, my favorite grape would have been bulldozed into oblivion long ago.

JGHear, hear!

-- SK who used to live 45 mins from Napa but now happily living in Oregon where reds are much more prevalent, though the bubbly with salads or popcorn is always welcome.

Redturbo
11-21-2007, 11:21 AM
http://www.schramsberg.com/blanc_de_blancs.html

Yummy :banana:

SadieKate
11-21-2007, 11:24 AM
Definitely yummy.

Ozz
11-21-2007, 11:25 AM

Chad
Whatever you like....there are enough flavors at Thanksgiving that most any wine will work...

Barnard Griffin (http://www.barnardgriffin.com/reserve/index.html) makes a nice Sangiovese Rose that is good....about $11

I just had a really nice blend (Grenache, Shiraz and Mourvedre) from Hewitson called "Miss Harry (http://www.winorama.com.au/?p=757)"...about $20 if you can find it.

I have not decided what we are having with dinner yet.....I have a bottle of Col Solare (http://www.colsolare.com/) sitting in the cellar I might pull out....but I like full reds with just about anything. :beer:

Viper
11-21-2007, 11:45 AM
Women love whites.

Wine is so 1998, bring over bacon.

Jack Brunk
11-21-2007, 11:47 AM
Our neighbors are cooking Thanksgiving turkey and I'm bringing a nice Elk tenderloin along with a 1997 Philip Togni Napa Cab. A 2002 Duckhorn Howell Mountain Merlot will go with everything else.

I'm with Ozz on the full reds going well with just about anything.

Kevan
11-21-2007, 11:52 AM
is awesome.

tv_vt
11-21-2007, 11:55 AM
sound good to me. Hogue Cellar's Merlot is good. If you can find their Genesis Merlot, that's great. If you want to blow some $, have had some Provenance Merlot ($35) and Cabernet Sauvignon ($39) recently that was great!

this is totally OT, but I'm listening to the Pretenders "Chain Gang" as I type this message and the stupid banana guy over on the right with the other Smilies is right on the beat. Cracked me up.
:banana:

Have a good one.

TV

SadieKate
11-21-2007, 11:56 AM
Viper needs to wise-up on women. I thinking about the women in our circle of friends and everyone of us will take red first.

The critical things I packed in the cooler when we moved -- my meds, chocolate and elk. What more could a girl want while she's unpacking the 18 cases of wine that were moved?

Viper
11-21-2007, 12:03 PM
Viper needs to wise-up on women. I thinking about the women in our circle of friends and everyone of us will take red first.

The critical things I packed in the cooler when we moved -- my meds, chocolate and elk. What more could a girl want while she's unpacking the 18 cases of wine that were moved?

Depends. How long have you been drinking wine? I date younger, 20-somethings. Women love salmon and Derek Jeter. I make great salmon and prefer a lady who enjoys a nice red and Campy.

shinomaster
11-21-2007, 12:06 PM

My brother married one. She told me my wine wasn't good two weeks ago.

Viper
11-21-2007, 12:19 PM
My brother married one. She told me my wine wasn't good two weeks ago.

After thousands of dollars on acting lessons, speech classes, young John tries out for the big part in his school play. His parents are thrilled, this is the moment they've all waited for. They pray to Jesus he wins the part.

John comes home from school and runs off the bus, thrilled to give his folks great news. Before dinner they say 'Grace' and during the meal, his father asks him, "Son, please tell us, how'd it go today?"

"Dad, Mom, thank you so much for all the effort, time and money you put into my acting...I won the role, I've got a big part in the play!" said John.

His Mom asked, "Oh thank Heaven! John, congratulations! Please tell us, what was the part, the role you won?"

"I'm the Jewish father in the family of the play" replied John. His parents put their forks down and sadly looked at each other.

"Son" said John's Dad, "You...you have to try out again for a different part. You, you need to get a speaking role."

:D

Grant McLean
11-21-2007, 12:23 PM
ridge zin for a little under $20. can't go wrong. note, in the ridge line the numbers go up rapidly so don't just grab a bottle and run ...

feel free to grab a Ridge and run to my house, anytime!!

-g

maunahaole
11-21-2007, 12:46 PM
Bogle Old Vine Zin - reasonably priced and tasty. Can't tell you about availability. I can find it here though.

Viper
11-21-2007, 01:04 PM
I <3 St. Francis

http://www.stfranciswinery.com/shop/catalog.asp?cat=giftwines

pjm
11-21-2007, 01:36 PM

Will she wine if you liquor?

Kahuna
11-21-2007, 03:29 PM
Don't forget the wine...

dirtdigger88
11-21-2007, 04:23 PM
going with the red bike

http://www.wineloverspage.com/graphics1/redb1021.jpg

Jason

djg
11-21-2007, 07:36 PM
Hey, my post disappeared. I'll try again. I'm more a very slightly schooled enthusiast than a maven, and certainly not an expert, but I'll make a few general suggestions for a large group at which some or most folks are not wine buffs:

(1) Don't go too fancy or too big, as things can get more finicky in various regards, and sometimes less appealing for some folks; (2) Thanksgiving spreads tend to offer pretty varied foods and for that reason, coupled with number (1), I'd look for food friendly, flexible wines and abandon entirely the notion of the perfect wine/food match (something of a fiction in many cases, but especially so in the face of 11 or 16 offerings on a Thanksgiving table); (3) a good local wine shop really can help you (although a bad one or a harried one, not so much); (4) most of the big newspapers with a regular wine column do a feature every year -- these can be pretty good overviews, and often bother to feature wines that can be found in your locale (this year's WP column is here: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/11/13/AR2007111300390.html?hpid=features1&hpv=local); (5) I might pick both red and white rather than one or the other and let people either just choose what they think they'll prefer or give them a taste of each.

So, there have been some suggestions already that seemed fine to me. For red, I'd lean toward something like a Pinot Noir, a Zin -- provided it's not too big -- or maybe even a Beaujolais Villages. For inexpensive PN, I've liked Rodney Strong's Russian River over several years (for more money there's better, for sure, but the sky's the limit). For cheap zin you could do worse, IMO, than Ravenswood -- Cline Ancient Vines is a few bucks more and widely available and Sehghesio too. I like the Ridge wines I've bought, although I've never tried the 20 buck bottle, and although they seem to me varied and often big and fruit forward. For a Rhone maybe Guigal's Crozes Hermitage or ask what they have in a St. Joseph. Merlot got a bad rap in Sideways, and many are effin awful, but there are good ones, very good ones, and great ones too. For 20 bucks maybe Ferrari-Carano is a nice wine.

A good Riesling could be a very good choice, but may strike people very differently if they're not already fans. For Sauvignon Blanc, I think that Kim Crawford's Marlborough is a screaming good deal -- widely available (including Costco) and maybe 13 or 14 bucks.

If there's something you love, ignore everybody else's advice, and especially ignore mine.

BBB
11-21-2007, 08:33 PM
Riesling would do well. Comes with either a peach/melon or flowery taste. As would Gewurztramier(sp?), which also have a hint of a fruit(grape) or flowers(roses).

Enjoy and Happy Thanksgiving.

Regards,
Jeff

It's Guwerztraminer. As for the hint of the fruit - ironic that you should say grape :) But otherwise, both Riesling and Guwertraminer will or at least should go well with Turkey - either roasted or cold - if you are into white wine. As for reds, try a Cabernet blend.