PDA

View Full Version : Follow up on MotionBased

Mud
11-21-2007, 07:28 AM
I spent hours trying to get our rides downloaded into the MotionBased website. It worked fine for some months and then I had issues with it. The CS at MB was very helpful but not super "geeks" so it was like pulling teeth to get to the bottom of it all.

Essentially the problem I have deals with security measures on the computer. When I follow all the steps recommended I can get it to work until the next time I boot up. Evidently something resets itself and stops the process.

I know from the previous thread that others have had no trouble so I must be "special". I don't care because I like the info from Topofusion much better and there are more developments in Scott's software on the way (if he ever stops riding for a while).

I am not interested in pursuing MB any longer. I just thought that someone else might have an issue. :confused:

For those who have the Computrainers, if you have any GPS that can produce a gpx file it is possible to load your rides into the Computrainer. There are some limitations but I may decide to punish myself further by going ahead with this. :crap:

1centaur
11-21-2007, 12:58 PM
For those who have the Computrainers, if you have any GPS that can produce a gpx file it is possible to load your rides into the Computrainer. There are some limitations but I may decide to punish myself further by going ahead with this. :crap:

I have done this, using RacerMate's software, and it was extremely easy. I actually also used some gpx files off MotionBased to get rides in interesting parts of the world on the CT.

The software does not replicate the actual ride in that it suffers from the data integrity and puts in random curves, but it's close enough to be entertaining and representative. The worst thing is that if your GPS was slow to recognize that you were going uphill and then "catches up," to get your altitude in the right place, that translates to the CT as a sudden 15% grade after a 3% grade rather than as the constant 5-7% grade you know from the real world.

Also, it's a little counterintuitive to take a summer ride and put it on the CT for winter riding since that defeats the variety that the CT represents.

Overall though, I thought buying that translator from RacerMate (just to make sure it was done in a compatible way) was very much worth the low dollars.

fiamme red
11-21-2007, 01:05 PM
Also, it's a little counterintuitive to take a summer ride and put it on the CT for winter riding since that defeats the variety that the CT represents.This looks like much more fun:

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/?pg=fullstory&id=5477&status=True

vaxn8r
11-21-2007, 03:02 PM
I tried the freebie MB and it took forever to download anything. I tried a half dozen times and quit. Maybe the paid service is better but I'm not interested in paying for what they showed me.