PDA

View Full Version : Drugs: Tyler now in the spotlight?

DWF
07-26-2004, 09:18 AM
per cyclingnews: http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2004/jul04/jul26news2

notable excerpt:

"Dr. Steffen left the team before Lance Armstrong arrived in 1998. He explained that "at that time, we were a small team with average ambitions. Everyone was clean. But one day, Marty Jemison and Tyler Hamilton came to ask me whether I could supply them with illegal products. I got the impression that they were speaking for everyone and that they had come to test the waters...To get to the top level, the team leaders were convinced that only doping would allow the team to obtain good results. From there, I understood that the whole mentality was changing.""

I wonder if this will cause some amount of the outrage against Lance to be pointed towards Tyler or if the Anti-Lance brigade will continue to be so selective in their vindictiveness?

Dr. Doofus
07-26-2004, 01:13 PM
this same info was aired in 2001, when postal was under investigation after french tv recorded them dumping several bags of activogen -- that were "for the personal use of a mechanic who has a medical condition" -- into the trash, in a clandestine location....

hell, it beats no-doz

Keith A
07-27-2004, 02:48 PM
Here is Tyler's response as found on VeloNews...

Regarding Prentice

"And finally, as if July wasn't a tough enough month for me personally, I just want to make something clear.

I arrived home from Paris on Monday afternoon to read the story on the Internet some of you have referenced in the guest book on my website. A former part-time team physician has made derogatory public statements about my former U.S. Postal teammates and me. This is not the first time this man has done this. (reference: Gorski incensed about drug allegations against Postal team).

It has always been my policy to try to take the high road and keep some thoughts to myself. But I also realize there are a lot of young cyclists who follow my career, so it is on their behalf that I will finally respond.

The claim that I, along with another teammate, approached a team doctor and asked him questions about doping products back in 1996 is absolutely false. I swear on my wife's life and the grave of my dog that I never asked that man about anything of the sort. If you know anything about me, you know this is as emphatic as I can be. I'm truly saddened to have to respond publicly to such an accusation.

Thanks for reading."

Andreu
07-27-2004, 02:57 PM
...avoid the "he did - he didn't" debates because they are pretty futile. But here we have a big problem..because Millar was saying the very same thing about not taking drugs and it was "accepted" in the cycling fraternity that he was one of the clean riders. So every rider who is now outed is going to get the "no smoke without fire response".
Having said that I believe Tiger Hamilton he seems an honest enough guy (and the piece about his dog was moving)....it's a hunch but I believe him.
As for that Lan..... ;)
A

weisan
07-27-2004, 04:36 PM
To see Tyler pushed to swearing on things he should never swear at, in order to defend his integrity nearly brought tears to my eyes.

I don't like this. I don't like this one bit! :cool: