PDA

View Full Version : Delta brakes

bostondrunk
07-26-2004, 09:17 AM
Anyone still using these puppies?? I see they are still available on ebay. I haven't used a pair for over 10 years. I just remember wrestling with the stupid cable trying to set them up properly....nice looking, but what a pain in the arse...

Andreu
07-26-2004, 09:25 AM
Gawd...nearly forgot about those... just found this...

http://www.campyonly.com/roadtests/delta.html#photos
The reviewer says:
"We're a little nervous using them on steep, technical descents, but the style points gained by having them on the bike outweighs those concerns."

I am not sure on the style of these things...but there you go each to their own.
A

Bill Bove
07-26-2004, 09:43 AM
I'm still using them, as boat anchors. Actually they were fantastic brakes IF you set them up properly and as Beantown Boozer has already pointed out, that was a pain. I have a pair in very good shape that I'd like to use but they are just to heavy, I like to be the heaviest thing on my bike.

Marron
07-26-2004, 10:39 AM
Are the only ones clinging to these awful brakes. In addition to their excessive weight and mediocre stopping power you have to add their complete lack of tire clearance. You might get 23's on them on certain setups but the safe bet would always be 21's or less.

I remeber reading a Rober Millar review of the then new Campy Record 10. He was discussing Campy's revival in the late 90's and pointed to the introduction of the Delta Brakes as the point when Campy "lost it's way" in the 80's.

Did I rise to the bait with enough alacrity?

bostondrunk
07-26-2004, 10:41 AM
Are the only ones clinging to these awful brakes.

So what would you call the people still riding heavy steel frames? :confused:

Bill Bove
07-26-2004, 11:02 AM
Like I said, IF you set them up properly. There was a way to move the brake up and down on the frame anchor bolt to get clearence for 28c tires and you could crush a rim with them IF you set them right. They were great brakes, they looked way cool and could stop a frieght train but the magazines dissed 'em because they didn't bother to properly install them. What's that old saying, those that can-do, those that can't-write about it.

saab2000
07-26-2004, 11:24 AM
I have a set on one of my bikes and I agree with Mr. Bill Bove. If they are set up right they work great. I have had no issues with mine at all....... except....... they squeal like a stuck pig sometimes and I cannot do a thing about it.

I love my Deltas and I ain't gonna sell them. They were a sort of good idea but did not work for most people. But they are a conversation piece on my '87 Grandis and they work fine for me.

BTW, I also ride that bike with my '80s Adidas shoes and C-Record pedals with clips and straps to complement the '80s C-Record gruppo. What a bike!

It is a joy to ride! Among other things, it is my best handling bike. Italians really do know something about handling.

:banana:

Johny
07-26-2004, 11:30 AM
http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/brakes.asp

"These are the finest road brakes ever made, in my opinion. And they look good too! Suitable for use with tires up to 700x28. Also suitable for framing. ;-)"

caffeine power
07-26-2004, 12:40 PM
I love them. I have a set on my Seven with the MAVIC Mektronic levers and my wife has a set on her Appel ith Chorus Ergo. As far as tire clearance issues...they have plenty of room for sew-ups and a couple of mm's room for Conti 25's. My wife runs 650c and has plenty of room for 23/25's. As far as weight issues...eat one less Big Mac per week. ;)

dave thompson
07-26-2004, 04:37 PM
I'd sure like to find a set (the one with the black bellows) for my Kirk!

Jeff N.
07-26-2004, 08:49 PM
The thing I loved about my Delta's was the way you just kept on going right into the intersection when you applied the brake! Jeff N.

caffeine power
07-27-2004, 06:21 AM
The thing I loved about my Delta's was the way you just kept on going right into the intersection when you applied the brake! Jeff N.

That's why Campy equipped bikes are sooooo much faster!! :bike: