PDA

View Full Version : redline titanium cyclocross opinion?

d_douglas
11-20-2007, 01:34 PM
I have the chance to buy a Redline Titanium cross frame from a buddy who used it as a backup bike.

I have heard almost all good things about Redline and their titanium can be no different, i would imagine.

Does anyone know anything about these frames? What sort of tire clearnace does the rear triangle have? I am imagining putting together a cheap monster cross-y commuter that might use disc brakes (it has disc mounts)

I don't race, so this is not an issue of discs/no discs - I will be using standard brakes until I can get together the scratch for a disc 29er wheelset.

Thanks for your opinions!

Darren

PS is it possible to buy cheap disc compatible 29er wheels with 130mm spacing? Can you drop a spacer on a Deore (etc.) axle and reduce it from 135mm to 130mm?

Ozz
11-20-2007, 01:58 PM
I don't think Redline makes a Ti cross bike....what year is it?

shinomaster
11-20-2007, 02:07 PM
My friend works in a gucci LBS, and he has a Seven road bike a Vanilla and has tried almost everything. H said his Scandium team Redline corners better than his road bike!

d_douglas
11-20-2007, 02:19 PM
I believe its a 2004 - they are real - Marc Gullickson made them a bit of a cult item. Welded in Taiwan, methinks.

SHINO _ Yes - the seller has a Scandium version as his race bike and says the ti one is a bit too big for him, so he has offered the ti frame, a King HS and a Winwood Muddy Cross fork for about $420US.

Seems like a good deal on a frame that I have always thought would be cool. OK, it Serotta made a ti cross frame with disc mounts and big clearance for 29er tires, that would be even cooler!

Anyone have answers on the max tire clearance issue?

shinomaster
11-20-2007, 02:24 PM
A ti cross frame sounds ideal, maybe perfect! I think they stopped making them because they were expensive to produce?
Maybe go ask around at roadbikereview.com They have a cyclocross forum.
Redline was one of the few companies a few years back that was ahead of the game marketing nice cross bikes.

SWorks4me
11-20-2007, 02:57 PM
+1 on Scandium for cross...

the Redline Ti is a nice riding bike.

Bruce K
11-20-2007, 06:38 PM
Redline's bikes are pretty good crossers.

The Ti was supposed to be a bit of a noodle and I never heard anything really good about them.

I saw a couple and wasn't overly impressed.

Sorry to be the contrarian here but I'd hate to see you disappointed.

BK

d_douglas
11-21-2007, 12:19 AM
Does anyone here have a Redline? What is the tire clearance like? Can I put a giant tire in there? 40mm? 45mm?

Thank you!

shinomaster
11-21-2007, 01:42 PM
Does anyone here have a Redline? What is the tire clearance like? Can I put a giant tire in there? 40mm? 45mm?

Thank you!

Why do you want to use such a huge tire?

d_douglas
11-21-2007, 04:00 PM
Like I said, I want this to be a monstercrossy type bike. Basically a 29'er - something that will take big fat tires for all purpose riding. My first instinct is to use a flat handlebar.

My other cross frame maxes out at 35mm (or less, actually) so I want to try a big 'ol SUV!

Thanks for any information on tire clearance!!

Ozz
11-21-2007, 05:00 PM
I have their 2008 catalog in front of me....but it doesn't give any info on tire clearances....you might want to contact them directly.

They do have a whole line up of 29" mt bikes...geared and single speed. They look pretty fun.....

Anybody know anything about Lapierre bikes? I guess they are a related company now, or at least owned by the same company as Redline.

Bruce K
11-21-2007, 05:44 PM
I think Bill Bove carries or carried them at one time.

BK

d_douglas
11-27-2007, 03:56 AM
The seller wants my FSA carbon ISIS cranks off of my Concours in exchange for the ti frame, Winwood carbon fork and a King HS. Apparently the are his favourite cranks and they are hard to find these days.

I think I will go for it - FSA was never my thing anyways...

chrisroph
11-27-2007, 08:28 AM
sounds like a good swap i'd do it.

Erik_A
02-14-2017, 11:21 AM
... thread back from the dead!

I am thinking of buying a 2005 Redline Ti CX frame.

Anyone have thoughts on how "noodle-ly" the bike rides on the CX course?

And what was the largest size tire that you fit in the rear?

tuscanyswe
02-14-2017, 11:29 AM
The seller wants my FSA carbon ISIS cranks off of my Concours in exchange for the ti frame, Winwood carbon fork and a King HS. Apparently the are his favourite cranks and they are hard to find these days.

I think I will go for it - FSA was never my thing anyways...

Haha me thinks you are pleased with your exchange now a few years down the line.. ?

d_douglas
02-14-2017, 12:27 PM
Still love this bike. I am in process of trying it out with a White Industries ENO rear hub for some SS action. it's be my first ever SS for the city/CX.

These are great bikes/

KidWok
02-14-2017, 01:59 PM
I had one...yes...they were noodles. They were made by Ora, same company that makes Motobecane's ti cross bike. I got crashed into a car that pulled in front of me...totaled the ti fork I was running at the time but the frame was fine. Sold it to my buddy and he is still happily riding it. Just don't go loading it up with gear and you'll have a nice riding bike.

Tai