PDA

View Full Version : OT: I need help - opinions needed

BURCH
11-20-2007, 10:01 AM
In the middle of a little dilema here and I need some thoghts. My mother has been under the weather and I told my parents that I would pay for someone to come in and clean their house to relieve some stress. Well, my one sister someone caught wind of this and arranged for one of her friends to do the work. I told my sister ok, but that I would pay the full bill to keep things simple.

The friend shows up at 11:30 yesterday and cleans until 5pm and has to leave. She still hasn't cleaned the kitchen, the master bedroom, or bathroom yet. My sister says to send her a check for $160 for travel (she lives about an hour away) and cleaning. The friend also has to go back to finish the other three rooms which I know she will do. I double checked with my parents and they ended up giving her $25 for gas. My sister is also saying that she will give her some money because my sister, "likes to be generous".

I have never had a cleaning person and I don't even know what they cost, but assuming it takes the girl another 3 hours to finish the job, should she be making upwards of $210 between my 160, parents 25, and maybe 25 from my sister?

I am worried that my sister is taking advantage of the fact that I will pay the full bill and my parents are tipping. Then she can just pass her friend some more money to make us look so generous. If the $210 is resonable, I am fine cutting the check for $160. My sister also stated that her friend did us a favor by going down there to clean the house. To me it is a service done for money not a favor...

Thoughts?

Lifelover
11-20-2007, 10:18 AM
In the middle of a little dilema here and I need some thoghts. My mother has been under the weather and I told my parents that I would pay for someone to come in and clean their house to relieve some stress. Well, my one sister someone caught wind of this and arranged for one of her friends to do the work. I told my sister ok, but that I would pay the full bill to keep things simple.

The friend shows up at 11:30 yesterday and cleans until 5pm and has to leave. She still hasn't cleaned the kitchen, the master bedroom, or bathroom yet. My sister says to send her a check for $160 for travel (she lives about an hour away) and cleaning. The friend also has to go back to finish the other three rooms which I know she will do. I double checked with my parents and they ended up giving her $25 for gas. My sister is also saying that she will give her some money because my sister, "likes to be generous".

I have never had a cleaning person and I don't even know what they cost, but assuming it takes the girl another 3 hours to finish the job, should she be making upwards of $210 between my 160, parents 25, and maybe 25 from my sister?

I am worried that my sister is taking advantage of the fact that I will pay the full bill and my parents are tipping. Then she can just pass her friend some more money to make us look so generous. If the $210 is resonable, I am fine cutting the check for $160. My sister also stated that her friend did us a favor by going down there to clean the house. To me it is a service done for money not a favor...

Thoughts?

Next time you need a "favor" let me know. I'll send my wife out from Virginia Beach for that kind of money.

The $160 does net seem to out of line considering it sounds like it will be about 8 hours of work. It is all the "tips" that are driving the cost.

I would just pay it this time around but look for a "favor" elsewhere if you need ot do it again.

Fixed
11-20-2007, 10:21 AM
bro I clean the office everyday you need a bike mess imho
cheers

Ginger
11-20-2007, 10:22 AM
If she didn't clean the kitchen or the bathroom....just what did she clean?

Nope, your sister's friend didn't do a "favor" she's doing a job.

For future reference you may want to call someone like this for a free quote:
http://www.maidpro.com/louisvilleky/services/maid-service/49point/

and you may want to call a similar service for future cleanings. Not that your sister's friend doesn't do a good job, but it sounds like she's more hassle than necessary and is taking advantage of the situation taking money from your parents (which is what you were trying to avoid, right?)

When she's done, ask your mom if she did a good job too. Because...really...it's her house.

Good luck.

swoop
11-20-2007, 10:32 AM
http://www.psychpage.com/learning/library/counseling/bowen.html

Len J
11-20-2007, 10:45 AM

Bingo.

Len

EDS
11-20-2007, 11:26 AM
For what it is worth, my wife and I pay $80 for someone to come clean our apartment every two weeks. Granted, we only have a very small two bedroom 1.5 bath apartment, but this is NYC.

gdw
11-20-2007, 11:32 AM
That's pretty high unless the house had been seriously neglected. It cost $70 to have two people come in twice a month to clean a four bedroom, two bathroom house in Boulder several years ago. They were professionals working for a local service and usually completed the job in less than an hour and a half. They charged a higher fee for the initial cleaning but I believe it was only around $120.

Ginger
11-20-2007, 11:52 AM

Well. Yes.

There's that.

Maybe Swoop should post:
10 psych articles every forum member should read

:)

BURCH
11-20-2007, 12:32 PM
Thanks for the thoughts. Pretty much what I figured. I will chalk this up an expensive life lesson. Next time, I won't get lazy and will just do the research and find a company to do it myself. It just seemed too easy that my sister had someone that quickly without me asking her. I would argue it a little, but with the holidays coming up quickly there is no need for that nonsense. Plus it definately eased some stress for my mom.

BTW - The house (4 bed 3 bath) wasn't trashed, but it did need that a hardcore cleaning. My parents ignore the house for farm work throughout the spring, summer, and early fall.

BURCH
11-20-2007, 12:33 PM

It didn't fully catch this in terms of it applying to me. Can you further explain? A typical college semester for me was an A in Organic Chemistry and a C in Pyschology....

Pete Serotta
11-20-2007, 01:04 PM
IN NC is would be about $60-80 per visit (no travel, gas, etc). Enter day would be $80.

That is quite high and I think if you still need it cleaned at those rates I will come over. Instead of gas $$ give me wine $$. THANKS

PETE

Sandy
11-20-2007, 01:06 PM
IN NC is would be about $60-80 per visit (no travel, gas, etc). Enter day would be $80.

That is quite high and I think if you still need it cleaned at those rates I will come over. Instead of gas $$ give me wine $$. THANKS

PETE

Do you get the wine before or after you start cleaning? :)

Sweeping Sandy

swoop
11-20-2007, 01:47 PM
It didn't fully catch this in terms of it applying to me. Can you further explain? A typical college semester for me was an A in Organic Chemistry and a C in Pyschology....

nope... but i can wish you the best of luck with the situation.. you sound like a good son.

BURCH
11-20-2007, 02:33 PM
nope... but i can wish you the best of luck with the situation.. you sound like a good son.

Cool, as long as I am a good son and not "The Good Son (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Good_Son_%28film%29)"

Fixed
11-20-2007, 08:20 PM
french maid ?
my rich friend the lawyer has one do him once a week cost in tampa $100
cheers :beer: