PDA

View Full Version : Matte Carbon Finish?

weatherman
11-20-2007, 09:24 AM
While digging around the new website (nice upgrade by the way) and contemplating paint/decal options for a soon to be ordered Ottrott, I stumbled upon the slide show on the decals page entitled "Finish Production Gallery" (link is on the lower right side of the page). Very cool photos by the way!

Anyway, while I have been leaning towards simply white tubes and polished Ti (thanks to 93legendTi for the assistance there (aka the storm trooper ottrott)), I was struck by the 11th photo in the series--an Ottrott with bright blue lugs and what looks to be a "matte" finished carbon.

Anybody seen complete photos of this bike? Is matte carbon a finish option? Thanks for any suggestions/help--a search of the forums doesn't seem to reveal much on this topic or any photos showing a complete bike with matte carbon. :cool:

Serotta_James
11-20-2007, 09:31 AM
That picture shows and Ottrott frame pre-clearcoat. Essentially the decals have just been applied and the clearcoat has yet to be added. This is the way the carbon tubes look in their raw state.
Notice that the HT lug assembly is taped off to keep the titanium natural.

We have experimented with Matte clear coat finishes. Every time we do they get universally rejected. It just makes the finish quality look poor and the carbon weave looks foggy.

Hope this helps.

James

weatherman
11-20-2007, 09:38 AM
That picture shows and Ottrott frame pre-clearcoat. Essentially the decals have just been applied and the clearcoat has yet to be added. This is the way the carbon tubes look in their raw state.
Notice that the HT lug assembly is taped off to keep the titanium natural.

We have experimented with Matte clear coat finishes. Every time we do they get universally rejected. It just makes the finish quality look poor and the carbon weave looks foggy.

Hope this helps.

James

Thanks James! Guess that answers my question--back to the painted carbon tube option I guess. Is the carbon outline or carbon decal option ($250 upcharge on the website) actually a window through to the finished carbon so if I paint the tubes white I will see actual carbon tubing as my lettering?

Thanks!!!

Kevan
11-20-2007, 09:49 AM
w
What about leaving the tubes nude? That's a matte finish in itself. Course, there is the periodic application of sunscreen and the problem with unprotected decals, but is that an option?

Serotta_James
11-20-2007, 09:51 AM
Yes. When we paint the tube we simply mask off the Serotta logos, then remove the masks to reveal a clear carbon 'window' on the tube.
Personally I really like this option, especially in contrast with white paint. It looks classy, imo.

James

Serotta_James
11-20-2007, 09:56 AM
w
What about leaving the tubes nude? That's a matte finish in itself. Course, there is the periodic application of sunscreen and the problem with unprotected decals, but is that an option?

Good question and yes we have considered that... and considered that... and considered.......

In the end the 'better safe than sorry' mentality wins out. We want to clearcoat our carbon simply because it adds an extra layer of protection to all kinds of potential damage.

James

weatherman
11-20-2007, 10:06 AM
Yes. When we paint the tube we simply mask off the Serotta logos, then remove the masks to reveal a clear carbon 'window' on the tube.
Personally I really like this option, especially in contrast with white paint. It looks classy, imo.

James

I appreciate the help--looks like you guys will be seeing an order for just that shortly then! :)

vaxn8r
11-20-2007, 03:56 PM
Good question and yes we have considered that... and considered that... and considered.......

In the end the 'better safe than sorry' mentality wins out. We want to clearcoat our carbon simply because it adds an extra layer of protection to all kinds of potential damage.

James
Nude carbon needs some form of UV protectant applied regularly. It's not a big deal to do so but if you're not really into bike maintenance you may want a clear coat. No brainer.

Of course, that paint or clear coat really adds a lot of unnecessary weight....

;)

Ken Robb
11-20-2007, 05:08 PM
one of my pals has a nude Calfee and I think it's ugly- it looks unfinished--he likes it and it was his $$$. I think semi-transparent Calfee paint jobs are beautiful.

333halfevil
11-21-2007, 08:58 PM
Contrary to what many may think, paint does not add all that much weight. I have requested a new clear from PPG called " Soft touch " It has the feeling of Velvet once cured, and has a semi matte finish. The " soft touch " line is not yet available to shops yet, but as soon as it is, I have requested a sample to test and get the sales staff opinion. :fight:

eddief
11-22-2007, 08:52 AM
the Carbon Leger from Tournesol. Not sure about the difficulty or durability, but this is a finish I would choose for my custom carbonator. Maybe it's an optical delusion due to the classic garage door background trick.

dave thompson
11-22-2007, 09:26 AM
My (ex-DBRK) Tournesol has a satin finish applied, it's not a nude unfinished surface like Calfee.

eddief
11-22-2007, 09:35 AM
whatever it is I'd choose it.