PDA

View Full Version : heavy rider (250 6ft5in) wants to start

Dekonick
07-26-2004, 01:08 AM
this is an old college buddy of mine - he rode a little in college (lets say 10 mile rides 3 times a week)

Now, a decade later he is asking me where to start.

First: he has a specialized allez (carbon fiber) in really poor shape. I rode with him to get him started, and the bike was a wreck - replaced his tires, trued wheels, degunked drive train, re set limit screws, thightened cables, etc... I also dont think its safe for him to ride 'this' frame at 250 - its 10 years old, and has dings in the carbon tubes all over.

What would you suggest he do?

I was thinking the cheapest option would be to get a frame / fork and re-use his components, or buy veloce components.

Thoughts anyone? He wants to loose 50 lbs, wont race, but likes long distance (according to him)

I think he needs to pay for and get properly sized. after that I am all ears!

ADDENDUM -- I was wrong; his bike is an EPIC not an ALLEZ -and the frame looks like it wants to crack up and die

vaxn8r
07-26-2004, 01:37 AM
I have a cycling buddy who is 5' 10" and 270. He's been going a few years now and can really hammer when it comes to flats. Not too good on the hills.

He's broken 3 aluminum frames in the last 2 years....but keeps getting new ones under warranty. :rolleyes:

If he could stop eating he'd be a heck of a strong cyclist. Oh, wait, was I talking him or me? Uh, whatever... :crap:

Anyway, your buddy ought to ride his current rig, to prove he's serious, and start looking for a new one maybe for this winter. The improvement in his new bike will hook him. Cycling is a sport that anybody can pick up at any time. He should go for it.

Smiley
07-26-2004, 05:35 AM
Get sized and shop e-bay or classifieds for a good used deal . His sizing should be easy since he has no bad base and no base at all. Once he loses all his weight goals he will change position and his sizing in the cock pit will change ( lower ). Good luck to him and Sandy maybe a good reference since he's been there and done that .

Too Tall
07-26-2004, 05:57 AM
You put all that work into current bike which is servicable and probably all he needs for the immed. future AND will make a good trainer bike this winter...sorry I said "winter". Keep encouraging him and be the good buddy you are and check the bike frequently. Use a plastic hammer to tap the tubes now and than checking for any flaws etc.

Too often you see people focusing on equipment and it overshadows what is apparent.

You are a good friend.

flydhest
07-26-2004, 07:33 AM
Dekonick,

If he lives near you in Bal(t)imore, you could bring him down for a ride with the DC/Merryland crew. Meeting Sandy would either a) scare him off cycling forever or b) be an inspiration for how it can change his life he'll be totally hooked. Moreover, between TooTall and Smiley, he can get some good eyeball while riding comments about form, fit, and technique that will go along way.

I am firmly of the opinion (and have had at least on major bike builder back me up on this) that frame damage from big guys is most often the result of extra weight and power MIXED with bad cycling form. The bike will probably be serviceable until he makes the big decision.

That said, used bikes in that size (whatever it is) are often being sold at a steep discount.

Kevan
07-26-2004, 08:24 AM
nothin' pumps you up better than a new steed. Reusing old parts, remains old parts. Today's shifting toys are the way to go. Rather than lusting for newer and better stuff let him concentrate on bettering himself so he's worthy of his ride. :cool:

Dekonick
07-26-2004, 11:17 AM
Yeah - Ill bring him down to meet yall! I have been meaning to make one of the rides, but there always seems to be something that interferes... usually work. I hope to get together with smiley soon to have him check my KOPS on da new rig, and more importantly, help fix my pedal issue. Perhaps I can convince my friend (Hans) to come over and get a siz'n job from Smiley too. Its a cheap price to pay for comfort IMHO...

Do any of the MD crew ride daytime during the week? That is when I usually get my ride time in. I try to save weekends and evenings for family time. :banana: