PDA

View Full Version : Which fenders fit?

woolly
11-19-2007, 01:51 PM
Any advice on which fenders will/might fit on my CRT? It's currently got 9-speed-era 105 dual-pivot brakes on it and Michelin ProRace 25's.

I tried fitting a pair that a friend gave to me, but it was a no-go - tire rubbed on the fender. They were SKS brand, and measured 35-36mm wide (outside edge to outside edge of the front one - didn't measure the rear one). I think these are intended for tires 18-25mm wide, and the Michelin's wind up measuring out to be bigger than that.

I did stop by a local shop, but they were no help. The only 700C fenders they stocked were just as narrow, so they just tried to sell me a set of skinnier tires AND another set of skinny fenders. Sigh. And I won't have time to go to my preferred shop (40 minute drive each way) until after we return from our family Thanksgiving trip.

So, any advice for which fenders will work with these tires on this bike? The brakes work well, but I'm not in love with them and would be willing to swap them out before I gave up on those comfy tires. Not sure if a more "long reach" brake buys me anything here or not.

93legendti
11-19-2007, 01:56 PM
Any advice on which fenders will/might fit on my CRT? It's currently got 9-speed-era 105 dual-pivot brakes on it and Michelin ProRace 25's.

I tried fitting a pair that a friend gave to me, but it was a no-go - tire rubbed on the fender. They were SKS brand, and measured 35-36mm wide (outside edge to outside edge of the front one - didn't measure the rear one). I think these are intended for tires 18-25mm wide, and the Michelin's wind up measuring out to be bigger than that.

I did stop by a local shop, but they were no help. The only 700C fenders they stocked were just as narrow, so they just tried to sell me a set of skinnier tires AND another set of skinny fenders. Sigh. And I won't have time to go to my preferred shop (40 minute drive each way) until after we return from our family Thanksgiving trip.

So, any advice for which fenders will work with these tires on this bike? The brakes work well, but I'm not in love with them and would be willing to swap them out before I gave up on those comfy tires. Not sure if a more "long reach" brake buys me anything here or not.

I had the same problem with a RT I had last year. I have a new/used RT coming Tuesday, so I am curious as well.

93legendti
11-19-2007, 02:06 PM
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=29471&highlight=rapid+tour
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=51098&postcount=24
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=478&highlight=rapid+tour

vaxn8r
11-19-2007, 09:46 PM
I think the fenders are OK but I think on that bike with those fenders you may need 23c tires. Those Michelin 25's are like everyone else' 28's.

A picture would help though.

Vancouverdave
11-20-2007, 10:58 AM
Planet Bike are a little lower profile fender than SKS. There was no good reason to have built the CRT for short brakes--only a snobbish concern that the RX100 calipers which were the only 47-57mm units in production when the model was designed weren't "good enough" for the other components that Serotta customers would want to use. I was a Bike Gallery employee at the time and my input for the design was solicited.

woolly
11-20-2007, 10:26 PM
A picture would help though.

Yep, I know. But the bike's at home, a 13 hour drive from where I'm at right now.

woolly
11-20-2007, 10:32 PM
Planet Bike are a little lower profile fender than SKS. There was no good reason to have built the CRT for short brakes--only a snobbish concern that the RX100 calipers which were the only 47-57mm units in production when the model was designed weren't "good enough" for the other components that Serotta customers would want to use. I was a Bike Gallery employee at the time and my input for the design was solicited.

That's a bit of a bummer. I picked this up off of Ebay, and I guess with the "tour" part of the CRT name I just assumed that it would take more tire/fender. Sort of a shame, because I've really been happy with how the bike rides. That's what I get for making assumptions, though. :no:

Vacation with the family back in Iowa has been great so far, but I'm really looking forward to getting elbow-deep in this project when I get back. :beer: