PDA

View Full Version : ot: favorite thanksgiving recipe

dave1215
11-19-2007, 01:26 PM
I love D'Artagnan's recipe for Poached and Roasted Turkey in the Style of Bresse (https://www.dartagnan.com/recipe.asp?id=11&category=4) which is simple and honest and always, always, always produces tender and juicy turkey meat - never worry again about drying out the breasts to fully cook the thighs.

What's your favorite thanksgiving recipe?

Lifelover
11-19-2007, 01:29 PM
My Mother's Giblet Gravy.

Only she and my sister know how to make it.

I'm learning:banana:

cpg
11-19-2007, 01:41 PM
Pumpkin pie using a fresh pumpkin rather than canned. Mmm... Oh yea, topped with real whipped cream spiked with candied ginger.

Curt

Fixed
11-19-2007, 01:55 PM
bro nice ride in the a.m. food then couch time
cheers imho we are the family will be goin to a bros house for thanksgiving ..hmm i'm starting to feel like chevy chase
cheers
http://allrecipes.com/Recipes/Holidays-and-Events/Thanksgiving/Main.aspx

gt6267a
11-19-2007, 02:01 PM
My great thanksgiving helper is a digi thermometer with wireless attachment. There is a wired temperature probe to a base station. The wireless unit looks like a small walkie talkie and gets the temperature info from the base station. I cruise the net, watch TV, clean the apartment … all while keeping tabs on the bird!

The thing is pretty handy since I make a turkey a month and freeze 6oz portions of the meat with the pan juice. Upon reheating the meat is tender, cooked & ready to go and the juice is a great starter for turkey and gravy with vedgies, all kinds of soups, rice dishes, salads etc. etc. Since the meat is cooked, great meals are ready in about 15 mins. Sweet!

Tom
11-19-2007, 02:27 PM
Cheap whiskey.

J.Greene
11-19-2007, 02:31 PM
I'll be putting a turkey in the smoker at 7am Thursday. I may add a picnic ham too.

JG

itsflantastic
11-19-2007, 02:34 PM
umm....

pumpkins. . .real, not out of a can
there are some leeks in there. . .
some butta and milk (though these days I use olive oil and soy or almond milk)
and other good stuff. . .

it's good
real good!

Bruce K
11-19-2007, 02:38 PM
My wife's version of her Grandmother's Scotch Apple Pie.

YUMMMMY and oh so calorie free! :rolleyes: ;)

BK

Too Tall
11-19-2007, 02:42 PM
Oh boy that's tough.
Nostalgic fav. is pecan pie. Hands down, I wait patiently for dessert ;)

Recipe is too simple to even waste space typing it out.....it's just one of those things.

Ginger
11-19-2007, 02:52 PM
Grandma's sweet potatoes.
We've changed the recipe to be lighter and less painfully sweet, but the original recipe was:

5lbs sweet potatoes peeled and cut into 2-3" pieces, 1lb butter, 1lb brown sugar, water to cover. Put it all together the day before and let it cook until the sweet potatoes are tender.

Second "favorite" but only because it's tradition (you have to have it to be thankful for everything else on the table): Rutabaga.
Tips for buying and cooking rutabaga include: Pick out the roundest and heaviest rutagaga in the pile. Peel it, boil it...Burning it is optional (acutally makes it sweeter and much more tolerable)

I might mess with the family and make a couple rutabaga recipes this year...

Dave B
11-19-2007, 03:01 PM
Sugar cream pie watching the Lions. Grand father played for them back in the 40's.

We are forgoing the pie this year as the family is on a major change of health.

Hit the Gym @ 7am.

Back at 8:30 or 9

try to bargin in a ride if it doesn't storm.

Maybe turkey...who knows.

I tried fish tacos last night and it didn't go too bad. Wife and daughter hated them, but I liked em! :D

ButtedMoron
11-19-2007, 03:05 PM
even better the next few days on turkey sandwiches

Steelhead
11-19-2007, 03:05 PM
Wild quail that my Dad and I shot just that morning.

:)

Fixed
11-19-2007, 03:08 PM
bro i think a trip to the food bank would do a soul good
cheers imho

maunahaole
11-19-2007, 03:10 PM
No cooking for our house again this year we are going here (http://www.royal-hawaiian.com/thanksgivingdinner.htm) likely proceeded by several maitais. My neighbor is digging an imu (http://www.primitiveways.com/Imu1.html) and has offed me a spot to put something in. I'm not yet sure if I'm doing a pork butt or a turkey. My wife isnt a big fan of pork, so I think it will be turkey.

dave1215
11-19-2007, 03:15 PM
My neighbor is digging an imu (http://www.primitiveways.com/Imu1.html) and has offed me a spot to put something in.

mmmm, i used to roast all of my breadfruit that way.

SadieKate
11-19-2007, 03:25 PM
It's all in the amount of butter and maple syrup.

Just smush up some baked sweet potatos -- about 8 small ones (not yams!)

Mash in:
a skimpy 1/2 cup maple syrup (grade B or the darker one is best)
1 stick of butter
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground ginger

Fold in about 1/2 chopped fresh toasted pecans (that's pee-cans)

Put in a casserole (and refrigerate to the next day if desired)

Toss some more chopped pee-cans on top, drizzle on more maple syrup and reheat in a 375 degree oven.

So it's basically sweet potato pie filling without the egg and milk.

Steelhead
11-19-2007, 03:29 PM
We let these guys do the cooking last year - It was great: http://www.driskillhotel.com/dining.html

Hardlyrob
11-19-2007, 03:36 PM
Cider Glazed Turkey - from epicurious

Man is this a good recipe - don't skip the chestnut stuffing!

Bon Apetit!

Rob

a 12- to 14-pound turkey, the neck and giblets (excluding the liver) reserved for making turkey giblet stock
1 recipe chestnut stuffing
1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, softened
1 cup water
1 cup turkey giblet stock or chicken broth

For the gravy
1 cup apple cider
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
4 cups turkey giblet stock

sage, rosemary, and thyme sprigs for garnish
Preparation
Preheat the oven to 425°F. Rinse the turkey, pat it dry, and season it inside and out with salt and pepper. Pack the neck cavity loosely with some of the stuffing, fold the neck skin under the body, and fasten it with a skewer. Pack the body cavity loosely with some of the remaining stuffing and truss the turkey. Transfer the remiaining stuffing to a buttered 3-quart baking dish and reserve it, covered and chilled.

Spread the turkey with the butter and roast it on a rack in a roasting pan in the over for 30 minutes. Reduce the temperature to 325°F., baste the turkey with the pan juices, and add the water to the pan. Roast the turkey, basting it every 20 minutes, for 2 1/2 to 3 hours more, or until a meat thermometer inserted in the fleshy part of the thigh registers 180°F. and the juices run clear when the thigh is pierced. During the last 1 1/2 hours of roasting, drizzle the reserved stuffing with the stock or broth, bake it, covered, in the 325°F. over for 1 hour, and bake it, uncovered, for 30 minutes more. Transfer the turkey to a heated platter, reserving the juices in the roasting pan, discard the string, and keep the turkey warm, covered loosely with foil.

Make the gravy:
Skim all the fat from the roasting pan juices, reserving 1/3 cup of the fat, and add the cider and the vinegar to the pan. Deglaze the pan over moderately high heat, scraping up the brown bits, and boil the mixture until it is reduced by half. In a saucepan combine the reserved fat and the flour and cook the roux over moderately low heat, whisking, for 3 minutes. Add the cider mixture and the stock in a stream, whisking, bring the mixture to a boil, whisking, and simmer the gravy, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes. Season the gravy with salt and pepper and transfer it to a heated sauceboat.

Garnish the turkey with the herb sprigs and serve it with the gravy and the stuffing.

Bud
11-19-2007, 04:11 PM
bro i think a trip to the food bank would do a soul good
cheers imho

+1, fixed. My wife and I bought some food for the less fortuante folks yesterday and we vowed to do it more often, no just at holiday time.

Oh- and my favorite recipe for the holidays is my wife's apple pie. It's even better than my grandma's (god rest her soul).

morty
11-19-2007, 04:33 PM
This is so good--like eating apple AND sweet potato pie at the same time. Worth the caloric splurge.

Yam & Apple Bake

8 med. yams, baked until just tender, then cooled
5 baking apples (Granny Smith, Winesap, etc.), peeled, cored, and sliced 1/2"
Juice of 1 lemon
6 Tbs. unsalted butter
3/4 c. honey
1/2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
1/2 tsp. salt

Preheat over to 350*. Toss apples with lemon juice. Peel cooled yams and slice into 1/2" slices. Layer alternating slices of apples and yams in greased 3 qt. casserole dish, making several layers. Melt together butter, honey, pumpkin pie spice and salt. Drizzle over apples & yams.

Bake at 350*, uncovered, for 40-60 minutes, basting several times during the last half of cooking time, until golden and apples are tender.

Kevan
11-19-2007, 09:03 PM
than deep frying the turkey on the stove.

DarrenCT
11-19-2007, 09:18 PM

or going to cosco for the samples....

Lifelover
11-19-2007, 09:52 PM

I'll pass on doing it in the house but I do LOVE a fried turkey. I prefer it without any seasoning. Just crispy Turkey!

We don't do them for Thanksgiving but me and another riding buddy will get together on Christmas Eve and fry 3 to 5 depending on how many people want one.

Only downside is that the carcass does not make as good soup as a baked Turkey.

djg
11-19-2007, 10:13 PM
corn bread stuffing with turkey sausage, sage (and not too dmn much), stock, sauteed onion and a little celery, a little port, and lots of chanterelle mushrooms.

Too Tall
11-20-2007, 07:43 AM
corn bread stuffing with turkey sausage, sage (and not too dmn much), stock, sauteed onion and a little celery, a little port, and lots of chanterelle mushrooms.
Nice :) After yrs. of all sorts of bread stuffings this is my fav. Do you make your own cornbread? I use any decent mix and overcook it. I season similar to yours + cracked pepper and some dry bing cherry bits.

Fixed
11-20-2007, 07:54 AM
giblets do they make a you cats sick if I have them they make a return for a few hours
they are in stuffing?
cheers

Skrawny
11-20-2007, 10:09 AM
Apple-cranberry-pecan pie served with gourmet vanilla ice crea.

Nothing better!

-s

djg
11-20-2007, 11:28 AM
Nice :) After yrs. of all sorts of bread stuffings this is my fav. Do you make your own cornbread? I use any decent mix and overcook it. I season similar to yours + cracked pepper and some dry bing cherry bits.

Cornbread is pretty easy, but sometimes I make my own and sometimes I buy it -- the whole foods cornbread is fine, really, especially if you air it out for a day or two so it's not too moist to start, and it's one of the things there that really isn't very expensive. Heck, while I'm in confessional mode, although it's not my preference or habit, I've even used the pepperidge farm stuff and it works out better than you might think (although you need to think about what to do about their seasoning base).

Maybe I'll try some dried cherries in a batch -- they could definitely work with turkey. Cracked pepper and kosher salt, sure -- always.

manet
11-20-2007, 11:40 AM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=zREjmAoNgzc

Volant
11-20-2007, 11:42 AM
Fixed, I'm with you. Our family goes down to SecondHarvest to help with serving and donate to help feed those in need.
We've gone to having Lou Malnatti's pizza and Portillo's hot dogs for Thanksgiving. My brother sent me some a few years back and it's just became a standing tradition (two favorites from growing up in Chicago).
Of course we have pumpkin pie for dessert. We save the Turkey for Christmas.
If anyone is interested in the Lou's thing, here's a link: http://www.tastesofchicago.com/