PDA

View Full Version : custom jersey recommendations

Kines
11-19-2007, 11:44 AM
Anyone have a favorite source for custom jerseys? It would be a minimum sized order.

I just ordered a sample from customsublimation.com (Mt Borah)

Last year, our 24 hour MTB team went with custom jerseys for the first time. We were pleased with everything but the fit of the jerseys. The price, service, artwork transfer, and everything else was great, but the jerseys themselves were apparently designed by someone with a really short torso and huge biceps (no offense intended if you fit the description). The jersey is useless to me except as a souvenir.

TIA
KN

Avispa
11-19-2007, 11:47 AM
If you guys can afford it, I'd go with Santini. It's one of the brands the pros use... Excellent quality and fit. And I think they offer a few choices.

PM me if you need more info.

..A..

swoop
11-19-2007, 11:51 AM
stay east coast. call verge.. talk to don snoop.

rwsaunders
11-19-2007, 11:55 AM
Our MS150 group had good success with this firm.

www.pactimo.com

e-RICHIE
11-19-2007, 11:56 AM
verge (http://vergesport.com/custom.php?osCsid=763d4caa58acb32e07bb658fc465163a ) atmo.

PaulE
11-19-2007, 12:32 PM
I see them advertising custom jerseys for $45. My Kirk jersey is made by them and it's nice. Maybe they are worth a look.
Champion (http://www.champ-sys.com/)

PS I am fairly long and on the thin side but not racer-lean and the XL fits me great, not baggy at all.

bhungerford
11-19-2007, 01:05 PM
Had good success with Hincapie, good jerseys, easy to work with. maybe a bit pricey. worth checking out though.

Bruce K
11-19-2007, 02:37 PM
Experinces for our groups:

Hincapie is great stuff, a little on the high end with about a 10 - 12 piece minimum per item.

Verge - 26 piece minimum and decent stuff

Champion - nice stuff. 10 piece minimum for first order (similar but mixed OK), then you can mix and match VERY small quantities, evens 1's and 2's

For a small club/team the trend seems to be towards Champion as we're seeing it more and more around here.

BK

DarrenCT
11-19-2007, 03:08 PM
verge (http://vergesport.com/custom.php?osCsid=763d4caa58acb32e07bb658fc465163a ) atmo.

my sachs jersey is pretty comfy. good shiet

musgravecycles
11-19-2007, 07:48 PM
Funny, I came to Serotta-Land tonight to post a thread asking fer custom kit recommendations :) .

Been thinking of having something done the last couple of days, my problem is that I'm looking at a first time 10-15ish piece range...

csm
11-19-2007, 08:12 PM
we're talking about doing a small run for ragbrai next year. trying to get the corporation to pay for it.

RABikes2
11-19-2007, 08:41 PM
Our shop jerseys are Pactimo and the sizing is off. Remember to order bigger if you use them. ie: a small is very small. You might try Canari.
RA

Andreas
11-19-2007, 08:47 PM
Portland Cycle Wear (http://www.portlandcyclewear.com/woolcyclingjersey.html)

Blue Jays
11-19-2007, 08:48 PM
Our club uses Champion Systems, which are of OK quality for their pricepoint. The zippers are sometimes problematic, but they're essentially fine.

3chordwonder
11-19-2007, 09:13 PM
I designed a jersey using Pactimo recently. I wouldn't recommend them if you want a true custom jersey for these reasons:

1. When the proof came back from Pactimo, they added big Pactimo logos all over the jersey, including a 'www.pactimo.com'. The jerseys suddenly looked like 'Team Pactimo' instead of our own team jerseys.

2. The customer rep I dealt with didn't address any of my questions/requests. The communication process was very weird, like dealing with a pre-programmed computer that could only supply answers from a select list of prepared statements.

3. In the end they still stuck their logo in several places but toned it down a little. However, I would understand a true 'custom' jersey to be exactly that, made with the graphics 100% to the customers spec, including no prominent clothing logos printed on the outside of the jerseys if that's required.

4. They also ignored several other changes I requested to the artwork.

In the end our timeline meant we had to accept the jerseys, and the quality of the actual garments is fine, but I would not deal with them again for custom graphics if I had the choice.

YMMV

musgravecycles
11-19-2007, 10:49 PM
Vermarc any good?

Doc Hollywood
11-19-2007, 11:11 PM
They'll do as few as one in their semi-custom jersey designs. I like Voler stuff. Whatever you do, stay away from Biemme. Crap.

Doc.

Polyglot
11-20-2007, 12:31 AM
I think the way that opinions are all over the place simply goes to show that there are many perfectly good suppliers out there for jerseys. It is my experience that with jerseys, the biggest differences are: quality of the materials, the way that they fit, the uniformity of design for different sizes and the crispness of the colors. The cut used by one manufacturer will fit some people and absolutely not fit others, so make sure that you are happy with the way the sample jerseys fit before ordering. If no sample jerseys for sizing are available, I would simply stay away from them. Remember, if the jerseys do not fit you but respect the samples, this is not an error on the part of the manufacturer. The more industrial producers are generally much better at maintaining true to sample sizing than are the smaller outfits. As far as crispness of colors, I have once again found that the bigger producers are better able to handle this. I have seen the jerseys of many many makers fade pitifully after a short time (this is my experience with Voler). For MS150 groups, that ride only a short time, this is perhaps not too important and should likely be less important than cost, but for most regular riders this is a concern worth addressing. The larger outfits are also often able to offer many different quality levels with materials having different technical features (obviously at different price levels). Case in point Doc's comment about Biemme: I have indeed seen some absolute crap from them, but I also have what I take to be the best made team jersey that I have ever seen, that was also one of theirs. It turns out the Italian team that commissioned it went for the top quality choice in every respect, from special material, special smooth stitching and a chamois that puts the best of Assos to shame. Apparently the same quality stuff that they are supplying to some of the top pro teams. Therefore the more that you plan to use the kit, the more importance that you should give to the material. As far as the uniformity of the design goes, you should take a look at some manufacturers production runs: they have absolutely no design coherence from one size to the other if anything non-symmetrical is used. They simply don't understand the concept of needing to adapt a design to each and every size. I remember one Pactimo run that had the pockets on the small sizes at the bottom where they should be, but half way up the rider's back on a larger size. Others simply don't take pockets into account when making their design.

One last thing that is a pet peeve of mine, is that many custom kit buyers don't even think of the shorts, arm warmers, leg warmers, jackets, bonk bags and other items that truly make a team kit unique. If you are going to get the stuff made why not get the stuff that you really want?