PDA

View Full Version : knee pain continued. . .

itsflantastic
11-19-2007, 10:30 AM
my right knee KILLS me when I descend mountains. Which, living in Maine now, I do quite a bit. Yesterday I hiked for quite a while and I could hardly put weight on my right leg during the descent. :crap:

would ITB syndrome lead to this?
I don't have health insurance for another 2 weeks so I can't get it checked out but it's been hurting on bike, and on descents for over a month. whaddup??!?

If I had to place it in location I would have to say on the upper-inside part of the knee, but then again, it kinda just hurts all over.

help. . .
please?
oy gevalt. I'm at work today and having trouble walking down the stairs. I'm only 24- too young for this kinda debilitation!

-dan

dvancleve
11-19-2007, 10:39 AM
Dan,

If I am reading this right your pain is not IT band. The IT band is on the outside of each knee. When it starts to hurt it is a sharp stabbing pain and hurts all around on the bike; soft pedaling doesn't seem to make much of a difference. I forget what it is called, but the pain when descending on foot is in the joint. The IT band is outside the joint. Best wishes, figuring out knee discomfort is a real pain in my experience ;)

Doug

so, after a little self-diagnosis, I'm thinking that some ITB syndrome is going on.

my question: my right knee KILLS me when I descend mountains. Which, living in Maine now, I do quite a bit. Yesterday I hiked for quite a while and I could hardly put weight on my right leg during the descent. :crap:

I don't have health insurance for another 2 weeks so I can't get it checked out but it's been hurting on bike, and on descents for over a month. whaddup??!?

If I had to place it in location I would have to say on the upper-inside part of the knee, but then again, it kinda just hurts all over.

help. . .
please?
oy gevalt. I'm at work today and having trouble walking down the stairs. I'm only 24- too young for this kinda debilitation!

-dan

itsflantastic
11-19-2007, 10:39 AM
i've been off the bike for about 2 weeks, no improvement. sigh.

is there a doctor in the house?

I work @ a vet's office and could totally xray it but I'm not thinking it's a bone problem...

Fixed
11-19-2007, 10:41 AM
bro a cat goes to the doc says it hurts when I do this ..doc says don't do that .. rice it bro you know rest - ice - comp. -ele. go see a doc when you can
cheers imho

Viper
11-19-2007, 10:47 AM
so, after a little self-diagnosis, I'm thinking that some ITB syndrome is going on.

my question: my right knee KILLS me when I descend mountains. Which, living in Maine now, I do quite a bit. Yesterday I hiked for quite a while and I could hardly put weight on my right leg during the descent. :crap:

help. . .
please?

-dan

Your ITB is on the outside (lateral) part of the knee yet you say the knee hurts primarily on the upper inside of the knee (medially). This is where you lose me.

Pain on descending stairs etc is associated with patella issues...patella tendonitis...chondromalacia. There is also plica syndrome.

Spend some time on google looking up chondromalacia and plica syndrome.

Oldschool always works, RICE...rest, ice, compress and elevate. Take doses of Ibuprofen to help eliminate the swelling you cannot see (but must exist). Stretch for 30 minutes or more the quads, hamstring and calf muscles, several times a day. Mobilize the patella (move it around while the leg is totally relaxed and straightened). Rub it down with Arnica Montana Gel (the gel works better than the lotion for some reason).

See a Dr. when you can. Unless you had a moment/injury where you blew out a ligament or damaged the knee, odds are it's a patella-related issue, chondromalacia or plica syndrome.

You're never too young for knee pain. :cool: I'm not a Dr., but I ride a Serotta.

Fat Robert
11-19-2007, 11:01 AM
see an ortho

i lost a two years to itb problems in my twenties -- tryig to rush rehabs, a couple surgeries, poor trainig habits...bottom line, don't jack around with tendons -- they will jack around with you for a long period and wreck a season if you do.

DukeHorn
11-19-2007, 11:18 AM
I've torn 2 ACLs and basically have given up any mountain trekking (except a last gasp at Kilimanjaro before the glacier disappears). Anyway, break down and get a set of trekking poles if you like to hike. It's not cool but start early in protecting your knees. They will take a good portion of the stress off your knees.

mikemets
11-19-2007, 11:39 AM
...worth looking into.

I've been off the bike for 11 months and counting. I was misdiagnosed with Chondromalacia back in January...finally got a correct diagnosis, PLICA Syndrome, and had surgery on September 4th.

Hope to start riding again very soon.

Its been a very difficult year.

Volant
11-19-2007, 11:45 AM
It sounds patellar-related to me. If you have Patellar tendonitis (tendon inflammation), or, if you haven't headed your body's warning system, you may have progressed to tendonosis (breakdown of collagen). Either way, rest it. Use NSAIDs sparingly. Ice helps to relieve inflammation. Go easy and get with an ortho/doc as soon as you can. Recovery, based on what you describe your current state to be, is measured in weeks, not days.

BTW, I've recently come back from having to take 15 months off for a torn patellar tendon. PT (physical torture) sucks, but I can ride and more recently, run again. Originally, I was told I'd be off for 4 months. And, I thought, MAN, that sucks! Over a year later, I was thinking about another surgery, because of no noticeable improvement - but my doc (great sports ortho) kept saying give it more time. It finally came around and I've rebuilt properly now. It's nice to be pain-free again and I don't want to go through that again. So, FWIW, rest and give it time. Don't push it!

Viper
11-19-2007, 12:00 PM
...worth looking into.

I've been off the bike for 11 months and counting. I was misdiagnosed with Chondromalacia back in January...finally got a correct diagnosis, PLICA Syndrome, and had surgery on September 4th.

Hope to start riding again very soon.

Its been a very difficult year.

Often overlooked indeed. In fact, the surgery for it is tricky, need to find all the plica folds. Trying to remember...I think my plica pain was found in the hand of a great Dr, he was able to palpate the snapping. I also suspected the plica as the knee had that dull ache with worsened when the knee was bent/flexed.

Ginger
11-19-2007, 12:08 PM
Upper inside?

Weak V2 quad? Imbalanced muscles can wreak havoc.

Get off of the thing and rest it for 7-10 days. Take fish oil rather than pills. (look at the old forum and search for Fish Oil for recommendation.) Ease into exercise after, and Yes. Get yourself some trekking poles. They help knee issues tremendously.

Here's a decent reference for poking around:
http://www.wheelessonline.com/

vaxn8r
11-19-2007, 12:14 PM
Fixed is right for the short term. But if real rest doesn't improve it it's more than tendonitis. Lot of good ideas so far. Add in miniscal injury or even some osteo changes, heck malignancy is on the list. Anything that doesn't respond to rest after a month or so needs to be looked at.