PDA

View Full Version : JRA when out of the blue TRUTH

Too Tall
11-19-2007, 10:00 AM
I've relayed a few stories about the guy who taught me to ride. This is typical and thought some of you would get a chuckle.

Yesterday I am out riding Big Red Fendered Vanilla sporting a Finger Lakes Ramble wool jersey and fat tyres. I fell behind a guy who gave me a decent draft...he was gunning every hill but I thought it was cool to just sit in today. A few other guys join as is typical and I am taking polite pulls skipping a few too just chill. This cat decides to drop me aw gee here we go it's Sunday and I need to do a few "burst" intevals why not? After he shoots his wad I came around lingered some so he could get back on and setup a steady pace. School was in until....my pal Jim rolls up he's thumping me on the back HARD, laughing like a mad hatter bumping hips with me and generally saying HELLO the way we do and have for 20+ yrs. Anywho, Jim sets the pace around 21mph two up and never stops talking. Meantime there is a gaggle of about 6 guys behind and nobody is interested in coming around...over hill and dale. Jim wanted to do a few local climbs...I let him set tempo afterall the man is 62 yrs. old, wears a pacemaker, takes beta blockers and has a limited HR to 145...as the "boys" fall apart behind us until one is left ;) I was p'in my pants laughing over this after.

My heros will always be cowboys...and Jim.

zap
11-19-2007, 10:31 AM
Jim is one of the local greats and an all-round class act.

shoe
11-19-2007, 10:48 AM
nice one....

spiderman
11-19-2007, 12:14 PM
on a classy rig
with a classy guy...
i think we'd all like to be like that.
20 + year friendships
are quite a gift.
you are indeed blessed
and are a blessing.
i pray that you continue to inspire
as you are inspired!

znfdl
11-19-2007, 12:33 PM
Jim is one of the local greats and an all-round class act.

+1

Ti Designs
11-20-2007, 12:13 AM
In the Boston area we have John Allis. John has been 29 for almost 40 years now, and while he complains that he's lost all of his power on the bike he's still there at the end of the hammer rides when many of the young kids have been dropped.

Too Tall
11-20-2007, 06:46 AM
In the Boston area we have John Allis. John has been 29 for almost 40 years now, and while he complains that he's lost all of his power on the bike he's still there at the end of the hammer rides when many of the young kids have been dropped.
THAT's what I'm talking about. Nice :)

stevep
11-20-2007, 06:52 AM

that old goat dont know shiite.
he cant even tell me what gear to leave the bike in...
expert? bah.

Fixed
11-20-2007, 07:01 AM
bro we have a strong old cat like that shook but he yells all the time cos he has to ride with a bunch on dummies like me and cos stuff is fallin off his bike all the time
cheers imho

Ti Designs
11-20-2007, 08:26 AM
that old goat dont know shiite.
he cant even tell me what gear to leave the bike in...

He dosn't have to. I did the fitting and he's been in the same gear ever since. I honestly don't think he knows how the Sram shifter works. It's John - the guy who asked me what the second set of water bottle bosses were for...