PDA

View Full Version : Do Time RXS cleats work on Time Impact pedals?

saab2000
11-19-2007, 09:47 AM
If I get a set of Sidi Ergo 2 shoes and install some RSX cleats, can I continue to use my Impact pedals?

BdaGhisallo
11-19-2007, 09:57 AM
Yes. The RXS cleats are backwards compatible with the Impact pedals. The Impact cleats were not necessarily forward compatible with the RXS pedals - they weren't initially until Time made a slight change to them adding bumpers of sorts around the front toe.

chrisroph
11-19-2007, 10:01 AM
I had a set of the new pedals briefly when they first came out before concluding that they did not work for me as well as impacts. i recall trying the new cleats on the impacts and thinking that it was not a good match. I think they do work but i'm not a fan of the new cleats or pedals.

Fat Robert
11-19-2007, 10:31 AM
i like the rxs better than impact

i think they sprint better (more solid contact with pedal), however, i do not sprint any better using these pedals.

one of those differences that don't make a difference. i bought the new stuff because it was too much of a pain to stay with the old stuff. planned obsolescence, bubba.

sspielman
11-19-2007, 10:40 AM
I have RXS cleats mounted on my shoes, and I use them interchangeably with the RXS series pedals as well as with the older Impacts with no discernable difference in function. I DO prefer the older Impact pedals over the new stuff...but the difference is small.

chrisroph
11-19-2007, 11:00 AM
we've got drift and repetition but its winter so why not? shoes and pedals are a system. with my carnacs, i can mount an impact cleat directly to the sole of the shoe for a super low stack height. i also get a great q. i can't achieve the same stack or q with the new cleat. in addition, the new pedal squeeks horribly. but most important, i pulled out of the new pedal a couple times in sprints, which has never happened with any other time pedal and i've owned all generations. the rsx seems to work for a lot of folks but i don't like them. as a result, i have about 10 pairs of impact pedals in operation and a bunch of new cleats stockpiled.

saab2000
11-19-2007, 01:02 PM
I really do need new shoes. My old Time shoes are over 10 years old and really worn out. Very comfy, but on the snug side of comfortable. On hot days they can get kinda ugly. They 42s. I have a 'new' set of Times which is only 6 years old. I got them when I finally needed two places to live 'cuz of my job.

Both are a bit tight and occasionally have even produced 'hot spot'-like pain, especially when it is hot outside. This seems to cause my feet to swell just enough.

So I need new shoes. I think I will go with Sidi Ergo 2s. They are very spendy, but I expect to get years of service out of them too. But they must work with my pedals.

Eventually I would not mind switching to the Shimano D/A pedals, but for now I have too many bikes and too many perfectly good Time Impacts.

Thanks for confirming that they new cleats will work!