PDA

View Full Version : Man...what's going on here?

cs124
11-19-2007, 06:10 AM
Page struggles under Sunweb-Projob pressure (http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2007/nov07/nov19news)

Anyone have the scoop on this one?

BumbleBeeDave
11-19-2007, 06:48 AM
. . . criticize in private."

Regardless of Page's real or imagined indiscretions or other problems, it's incredibly BAD management for the DS to be talking about him like that in public. I'm certain that such action are not going to correct any of whatever problems he may be having.

I've been to only a few cross races--Northampton, MA a few years ago, world's in Providence in '05, a couple in the local park here in town. But at ALL those races the spectators were universally cheering and encouraging and positive. It was a very positive and motivational atmosphere. I also know from accounts here and in the cycling media that the scene at races over there is entirely different--fans catcalling, spitting beer on racers, abusing them in other ways as they go by. Does this DS really think that his public scolding is really going to help Page as he tries to deal with beer spitters, mud, and all the other obstacles of racing in Europe?

Even if Page started this--and there's no real info in the CN story on who did start it--public statement like this from the team are ridiculous. sounds like they really are trying to embarrass him into leaving, rather than make any constructive improvements.

BBD

caleb
11-19-2007, 06:51 AM
. . . criticize in private."

Even if Page started this--and there's no real info in the CN story on who did start it--public statement like this from the team are ridiculous. sounds like they really are trying to embarrass him into leaving, rather than make any constructive improvements.

BBD

I'm inclined to think they might be trying to run Page out given the DS's behavior.

stevep
11-19-2007, 07:00 AM
its a euro pro gig.
page has basicly freelanced for years... never had a boss, never had to answer to anyone.
those guys pay you a lot of money...they make a lot of demands.
thats the way it is. comes with the paycheck.

these programs are not the same.

there is no remote comparison between any cross race that you may attend here and the pressure cooker that is big time euro cross.
its the difference between the ride for the roses and the tour de france.

hope he can have a few good races.

BumbleBeeDave
11-19-2007, 07:00 AM
. . . has he been with the team?

BBD

zank
11-19-2007, 07:06 AM
He got his first paycheck in July, Dave.

J.Greene
11-19-2007, 07:35 AM
Page commented last month they were asking him why his form was not there. In the short cross season I don't think they allow you to ride into shape. Ironically, it was being fresh last year(because of injury) at worlds that got him this gig.

JG

BumbleBeeDave
11-19-2007, 08:44 AM
. . . has he shown any propensity for creating problems with any other team he's been on? Does he have any kind of reputation of being difficult to deal with? Does anyone here on the forum actually know him personally?

BBD

Ginger
11-19-2007, 09:26 AM
Maybe he won't dope for them?

(Did I just say that?)

BumbleBeeDave
11-19-2007, 10:45 AM
. . . seems eerily reminescent to me of the same sorts of problems "fitting in" that american road racers had back in the 70's and 80's when Lemond and others first started going over there. Based on what I've read, the Europeans predicted they wouldn't make it--then did all they could to make sure that prediction came true, trying to send the Americans with their funny accents, funny clothes, and screwy training methods back across the pond with their tails between their legs.

The situation seems to have many similarities now in cyclocross . . . an exclusively European sport being "infiltrated" by Americans whos abilities have improved as a result of a huge increase in the sport in this country. Many more people racing over here means a general improvement in performance. It's only been in the last couple of years that any Americans have started achieving any results that would not be considered a joke by the Euros.

Compton's World Cup win last week immediately comes to mind. She's the real deal and can beat the Euros on their own turf no matter how tough the course--and I imagine there's sizeable percentage of them who are not going to be too happy about that, though they might not admit it.

This Page thing sounds like the same thing as back in the 80's. They're trying to make an excuse to say, "See, we told you he wouldn't make it."

BBD

swoop
11-19-2007, 02:19 PM
Belgians are weird... and my guess is that he is expected to behave like a Belgian pro which is even weirder... this means he isn't allowed to walk, shower on race days, eat normal food, or participate in the rational world.

normal american rider: i'm going to shower and shave.

belgian wisdom: if you are a pro you don't shower because the water will open the pores on your skin and this will allow the bad air into your lungs via fish osmosis and you will not race well. how unprofessional of you.

or something like that.

ButtedMoron
11-19-2007, 02:31 PM
and yes the screws are on. after 2nd in the worlds expectations are high.
he's busted his backside as a privateer and now he's finally got a good gig.
he needs some great results or he'll be toast. I'm hoping for the best

I've spoken with him at Nats and via e-mail. He seems to be a reallly nice guy.
he's never had a good gig because of the Belgiacentrism of the sport. Always been a second class citizen

ButtedMoron
11-19-2007, 02:40 PM
has had a good relationship with mario de clerq who is also a Sun Web DS. Hopefully they can straighten it out

Fixed
11-19-2007, 02:50 PM
bath in beer okay
cheers :beer:

saab2000
11-19-2007, 03:00 PM
its a euro pro gig.
page has basicly freelanced for years... never had a boss, never had to answer to anyone.
those guys pay you a lot of money...they make a lot of demands.
thats the way it is. comes with the paycheck.

these programs are not the same.

there is no remote comparison between any cross race that you may attend here and the pressure cooker that is big time euro cross.
its the difference between the ride for the roses and the tour de france.

hope he can have a few good races.

Correct.

SWorks4me
11-19-2007, 04:29 PM
. . . has he shown any propensity for creating problems with any other team he's been on? Does he have any kind of reputation of being difficult to deal with? Does anyone here on the forum actually know him personally?

BBD

We don't exchange Christmas cards...but Page is his own man. He has not been on any structured cross teams. He has ridden on the road for teams here domestically, but again, it is comparing apples to oranges to pro euro cross teams.

I have heard that this team is on the verge of implosion. Poorly run, and not treating the riders fairly.

JP will come out of this a better rider, and will turn himself inside out to prove them wrong (or right for signing him)

BumbleBeeDave
11-19-2007, 04:32 PM
. . . I can hardly think of anything that would de-motivate me more than to have my boss complaining about me in public media interviews.

BBD

saab2000
11-19-2007, 06:36 PM
He's been around long enough to not be naïve. But don't forget that there are two sides to every story. Maybe the boss/sponsors don't like having him complain about things in the media either.

Just sayin'.....

BumbleBeeDave
11-19-2007, 08:31 PM
He's been around long enough to not be naïve. But don't forget that there are two sides to every story. Maybe the boss/sponsors don't like having him complain about things in the media either.

Just sayin'.....

. . . with the CN story. It doesn't in any way make clear who started airing the dirty laundry first.

BBD