PDA

View Full Version : Things that look terrible on a road bike

Roy E. Munson
07-25-2004, 03:31 PM
1. Camelbacks
2. Hairy legs
3. Wearing shorts and a jersey so that the jersey creeps up exposing the fat roll, hair patch, and dingleberries that likely reside on the lower back and upper arse
4. Fat roll hanging out of a jersey - put on a more flattering shirt, please

I may add to this list as my beer consumption goes up throughout the rest of the day and evening. Please feel free to add your own personal no-no's as well. :beer:

victoryfactory
07-25-2004, 03:38 PM
Roy;

I thought that was you following me today...

VF, but at least I don't have to look at myself

Kevan
07-25-2004, 03:43 PM
swing'un saggin' saddlebags

too big a saddlebag for the occasion

spoke protectors

a tight jersey on the wrong body.

an unzipped jersey on the wrong body

thin fabric shorts that reveal more about a person than you really are comfortable knowing

touring shoes on a non-touring bike

bostondrunk
07-25-2004, 03:44 PM
is a hairy back ok? like with hair sticking up out of the back of my jersey??

Hey, wasn't it someone on this forum that shaved one leg??? hahahahahahaha

Sandy
07-25-2004, 03:47 PM
Kevan!!!!

Dr. Doofus
07-25-2004, 04:16 PM
me

we could post a pic, but you'll just have to take the drunk's word for it, if i can talk him into a ride with us while he's down here...he's gotta strong stomach, he can take it....

Dekonick
07-25-2004, 04:32 PM
- Hairy legs may not look good on a road bike... but the chicks dig em. :rolleyes:

Frank
07-25-2004, 05:13 PM
Streamers
Baskets
Automobile tire marks
Bells
Bicycle cards in the spokes

Ohhh, never mind, I thought the question was "what do you have on your road bike?" :)

professor_b
07-25-2004, 05:50 PM
heh. speaking of fat rolls, today while I was out on my ride I cruised by a church chicken bbq. From the road, I could see a fellow cyclist eating at the BBQ, hefty in the extreme (I'm trying to be nice here), wearing a jersey so tight that the letters over his belly were unnaturally warped. Made me wonder if this guy just rode from chicken BBQ to chicken BBQ and nothing else...

oh, and things that look bad on a road bike: MIRRORS. eeech. And the fat guy above, pedalling a 53x12 at a cadence of 45, swerving around the road.

shaq-d
07-25-2004, 06:02 PM
camelbacks: check.
2. hairy legs: check.
3. creeping up jersey: check.
4. fat rolls hanging out: check.

sd

Bill Bove
07-25-2004, 06:43 PM
Things that look bad on a road bike.

1. Shimano :confused:

2. Triples

3. Compact cranks

4. ATB pedals

5. Rivendell on the downtube

Things that look good on a road bike.

1. Me :D

2. The color pink

3. Campagnolo

4. Serotta on the downtube

Ray
07-25-2004, 07:36 PM
Things that look bad on a road bike.

1. Shimano :confused:

2. Triples

3. Compact cranks

4. ATB pedals

5. Rivendell on the downtube

Well, I have every one of those things on at least one road bike. And I don't have a single bike that doesn't have at least one of them.

Funny, I sort of like your politics.

-Ray

Korn Julio
07-25-2004, 08:14 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek:
:banana: :banana:
:p

Roy E. Munson
07-25-2004, 08:20 PM
OK, I'm back - 8 Heinekin, 4 Bud, and 1 Lone Star later (it was on sale)

5. MTB pedals and shoes on a road bike
6. Pink cycling gear- especially when it's covering a gut the size of the guy in the Open House pics
7. Me tomorrow, hung over like a limp ****

Dekonick
07-25-2004, 08:23 PM
OK OK - Doofus is right! Hairy legs on her would look bad! :D

Roy E. Munson
07-25-2004, 08:36 PM
Wow, I wouldn't mind my bag hanging under her seat!

Bill Bove
07-25-2004, 08:47 PM
6. Pink cycling gear- especially when it's covering a gut the size of the guy in the Open House pics

Hey! I resemble that remark! Nyuk, nyuk, nyuk.
:banana: :banana: :banana:

Roy E. Munson
07-25-2004, 08:58 PM
Ha ha - I had to get that one in, Mr. Bove. :D

M_A_Martin
07-25-2004, 09:09 PM
1. Thongs
After much research on a recent 6 day tour, I now have the opinion that thongs do not look good under bike shorts. Road bike or mountain bike, man or woman. Doesn't matter...Thongs just look bad under bike shorts.
(of course, they do make the girlies stand up on their bike due to discomfort...and evidently the guys seem to dig that)

2. Light blue shorts. You can sweat in black, white, red, yellow, and royal blue shorts. But baby blue shorts really show moisture and it isn't at all flattering. Ewww.

I think anything else looks fine on a road bike as long as there's a rider on the road bike too. They're out there, they're riding. Whatever helps get them out there is cool.

You saw me at the bar-b-que?

Ginger

Bill Bove
07-25-2004, 09:19 PM
Ha ha - I had to get that one in, Mr. Bove. :D

Rosa Grande, baby, Rosa Grande!! The Big Pink. :banana:

Ginger, Ginger, Ginger, thongs under skimpy white shorts are always in good taste. I have a new desktop picture. :D

M_A_Martin
07-25-2004, 09:34 PM
Bill Bill Bill
but wouldn't she look better *without* the thong?

and perhaps more importantly, without the bra under the tube top.

(I don't care what the guys think, bras under things that aren't supposed to have bras under them are tacky tacky tacky...but I've noticed it happening a lot.)

Bill Bove
07-25-2004, 09:36 PM
Agreed, no bra's are a good thing. :)

Andreu
07-26-2004, 02:52 AM
Where are the forum police to stop this "oh so" naughty behaviour?

Anyway,
1. overloaded handlebars...prefer nothing on the bars but 1 computer max.
2. a bell...whats wrong with shouting "excuse me" or just growling loudly (especially if you´re following someone riding a bike like the pic....no I am not going to go there!)
3. camelbac (meant for the mountains - if you run out of water just stop at a cafe - simple.)

hybridbellbaske
07-26-2004, 03:36 AM
I'm sorry if this is ignorant- but what's a dingleberry? Maybe i don't really want to know....

Andreu
07-26-2004, 06:42 AM
dingleberries (noun) :
clingons, jubnuts , syn. dangleberries, bum-tags, clagnuts (N), dags, clinkers, fartleberries.
Need I say more.
Worryingly it´s a word used in the UK quite alot.
There are probably even pictures too on the net but....erm...I think I´ll leave it there.
A :beer:

Tom
07-26-2004, 09:55 AM
At the same time. Saw it this weekend, not sure I understand the combo.

Dan Richman
07-26-2004, 04:51 PM
Bill Bove lists "Rivendell on the downtube" as one thing that looks terrible on a road bike. is there some anti-rivendell sentiment among serotta riders? if so, why?

please help me understand, because i live in both worlds. i'm a regular reader of both this forum and the rivendell list, and though i'm happy with my romulus, i probably would have bought a rapid tour if serotta hadn't stopped making them.

dbrk
07-26-2004, 05:58 PM
I dunno, but anyone on a bike looks fine to me, really. Sure, I think people take their own fashion risks but what the heck, at least they are riding a bike. In this skewered society that strikes me as enough to applaud.

About six Rivendells and a more than a few Serottas in my basement. Others too, all just as sweet to me. Like what you like. I like bells, for example, on any kind of bike.

dbrk
just home from Toronto with fine stories of Mariposa and much learned (as usual) from Mr Barry...

Climb01742
07-26-2004, 06:35 PM
no, douglas, not bells...please no bells. :p

csb
07-26-2004, 09:01 PM
i and me girlfriend were discussing this fred-calling practice
just the other day at brunch, jeese i dont know but the racer
boys in their spandex and their older brethren with their
budbabies dialating their waste (yes) lines sure are equally surreal,

we all freds, just look at that redman group building frames in CT

csb
07-26-2004, 09:06 PM