PDA

View Full Version : Q on Paul's Racers

TMB
11-18-2007, 10:15 PM
I have the choice between going to the Centre mount or the Post mount.

The Post mount would have to be shipped to the builder to be fitted in the build, centre mounts - not so much.

Anything lost by using the centre mount Racers? Power, grip, modulation???

Or am I better to just get the posts put on and go whole hog?

Too Tall
11-19-2007, 06:10 AM
Purely a matter of style going with the boss mounts. I use the New Racers (ctr.) and love them long time. When setup correctly I'd have a hard time to distinguish if they were fresh campy brakes or not! Serioulsy good modulation.

samcat
11-19-2007, 06:24 AM
...and should reduce any tendency for flex/chatter/vibration.

PH

dauwhe
11-19-2007, 07:17 AM
I have both, and prefer the brazed-on mount, mostly because it's so darn cool!

I agree that these brakes have a wonderful feel--I didn't really understand all the talk about modulation until I had these.

Dave

Too Tall
11-19-2007, 08:21 AM
...and should reduce any tendency for flex/chatter/vibration.

PH
You've never ridden in a pack of vintage velos have you? (wink wink)

11-19-2007, 08:47 AM
If I recall correctly, the posts aren't at the same height as for regular cantis. Therefore you are committing the frame to these brakes for all time.

These are nice brakes, but are you certain you want the vintage look per se? You get better clearance for fenders with regular cantis and more adjustability or choice in clearance vs. power on the brakes. Or if you don't really need extreme clearance, you can fit fenders on most bikes with regular road calipers such as Dura Ace.

dauwhe
11-19-2007, 09:57 AM
I'm not sure what's considered "extreme clearance". I think it might be tough getting a 40mm metal fender and even a Pro2Race 25mm tires (almost 27mm actual) under a "short-reach" dual pivot sidepull (especially if the fork wasn't carefully designed to maximize clearances).

I like the Shimano 'long reach' sidepull (57mm max) but I much prefer the feel of the Pauls, and you get lots more options for tires and fenders. I personally am not worried that I'm committed to the Pauls for the bike with braze-ons--the bike was designed around the brakes, and I'm good with that.

You could possibly use the bolt-on Pauls, with the option of using the Tektro/Silver super long reach sidepulls as an alternative, if having the ability to switch brakes is important.

Dave

Too Tall
11-19-2007, 10:08 AM
If it matters the new(er) AlphaQ Z Pro fork offers more possibilities with fenders and long reach brakes.

This has a 374 Axle Center to Crown vs 371,372,369 as the more typical spans offered by AlphaQ.

cpg
11-19-2007, 10:54 AM
If you're committed to Paul Racers, I'd go for the pivots. They do work better but the center mount ones work well too.

Curt

Too Tall
11-19-2007, 11:55 AM
Obi-Curt-Wonobi - talk to me about your take on tyre size + Paul Racers. A birdie tells me your appreciation for them with adequately sized tyres...I totally agree. It's a visual thing not functional agree?

Steve Hampsten
11-19-2007, 12:13 PM
I'll just add that there are two versions of this brake: the original-but-seldom-seen Racer brake (pivots are 63mm apart) and the newer, more common New Racer, with the pivots at 78mm.

We almost exclusively use the narrow Racer version for all but 50mm fenders as it looks more balanced. You can also get a silver finish, black, or Phil Wood-style high-polish. Avoid the Moon Unit.

sspielman
11-19-2007, 12:21 PM
I rather like these...with modern shoes, of course...

TMB
11-19-2007, 12:24 PM
My plan is to use them with tires in the 25 - 30 range.

Steve Hampsten
11-19-2007, 12:35 PM
I recommend narrow, and that your builder modify the canti studs to make the extra bits go away. U-brake studs will also work after some fiddling on the lathe.

TMB
11-19-2007, 12:39 PM
I recommend narrow, and that your builder modify the canti studs to make the extra bits go away. U-brake studs will also work after some fiddling on the lathe.

Where would one find the Narrows? Don't see them on the Paul's site.

Steve Hampsten
11-19-2007, 12:53 PM
Talk to Paul himself, or shoot him an email - paul@paulcomp.com

cpg
11-19-2007, 01:08 PM
Obi-Curt-Wonobi - talk to me about your take on tyre size + Paul Racers. A birdie tells me your appreciation for them with adequately sized tyres...I totally agree. It's a visual thing not functional agree?

I like them if you're using a tire larger than 28mm with a fender. If you're not going into that tire territory I prefer standard reach calipers. Yes, it's a visual thing.

Curt

Too Tall
11-19-2007, 02:39 PM
I like them if you're using a tire larger than 28mm with a fender. If you're not going into that tire territory I prefer standard reach calipers. Yes, it's a visual thing.

Curt
I'd like to give you a big ol' hug CPG ;)

Hey, I got home early and took a few pics. Nothing like a pic right? The fenders are painted 40mm smooth Honjos and two diff. tyres 25mm Michelin Pro Race and some 32mm cross tyres. The 32s just barely fit however it could be done. I've run some 32mm file tread tubulars under with no problem. I really like the look of a tight fit. The ruler has 40mm marked between blue tape.

TMB
11-19-2007, 07:58 PM
Thanks for the pictures Too Tall, even with the 25's those don't look too big.

I am in love with that bike!

Seriously, distractingly, longingly in love with that bike.