PDA

View Full Version : What are you doing at this time of year?

caleb
11-18-2007, 07:57 PM
This time of year I really cut back on my riding. It's not really roller season yet, and riding outside in the 30's really isn't that much fun.

I find my self running most days instead of riding. 8-10 miles 4-5 times a week seems to keep me in decent riding shape.

What are you doing right now?

RABikes2
11-18-2007, 08:00 PM
Eating chocolate ... :rolleyes: ohh and doing base mileage while enjoying a Cafe Mocha at a local outdoor cafe timed perfectly for in the middle of my rides.

ti_boi
11-18-2007, 08:02 PM
If we get snow, snowboarding.

Walking.....to the new AWESOME chinese take out place in my neighborhood....and walking home to eat really bad (really, really good) food.

Feeling morose.

Fixed
11-18-2007, 08:04 PM
This time of year I really cut back on my riding. It's not really roller season yet, and riding outside in the 30's really isn't that much fun.

I find my self running most days instead of riding. 8-10 miles 4-5 times a week seems to keep me in decent riding shape.

What are you doing right now?
bro that is a fair bit of running
cheers imho

chuckroast
11-18-2007, 08:05 PM
Eating ice cream at the moment. Oh, and riding the mountain bike for fun till after the first of the year.

caleb
11-18-2007, 08:09 PM
bro that a fair bit of running
cheers imho

I'm entertaining the idea of doing a spring marathon, maybe a 50k trail race. Easier to run in the winter here in MN than ride.

Skiing won't start until after Christmas. I don't roller ski, and man does it hurt to get back into it every year. Something about skate skis and steep grades that just doesn't go with a lack of training.

DarrenCT
11-18-2007, 08:13 PM
2 votes for "drinking"

good job guys. don't let these racers overtake us

:beer:

shanerpvt
11-18-2007, 08:24 PM
2 votes for "drinking"

good job guys. don't let these racers overtake us

Thank you Sir!

nobrakes
11-18-2007, 08:29 PM
riding less, but more flying. No, I didn't grow wings-just lots of air travel to wonderful places like Peru. Takes up a lot of time, and next time I'm taking my bike! We do a lot of time in Arequipa, and, at 7,500' elevation, it would be a great place to train. There is a large population of riders there, but the roads are clogged with many so cars that make me nervous driving, let alone on a road bike. The roads aren't that great, either, many are pave` like in Europe, but more giant, wheel devouring potholes. So, in Feb. or March, when we go again, I'll prolly take my Mt. bike.

zank
11-18-2007, 08:36 PM
This time of year? You mean the best time of year to be riding? As in our racing season? :)

J.Greene
11-18-2007, 08:37 PM
Riding more, more base miles. Eating less.

JG

DarrenCT
11-18-2007, 08:44 PM
im disappointed with the beer drinkers. we are currently down 7-2

btw, its supposed to snow tomor here in da east coast.

on another note, i'll be riding 100 miles on thanksgiving if it doesnt snow :)

Kevan
11-18-2007, 08:52 PM
riding less, drinking more.

Hic!

regularguy412
11-18-2007, 08:54 PM
I'm riding less -- about 125 miles per week over the course of 4 days. Lifting weights the other three days. Trying to keep some sort of a mileage base along with some aerobic capacity. Drinking more --- water. :p

Mike in AR

DarrenCT
11-18-2007, 08:56 PM
riding less, drinking more.

Hic!

'adda boy.

btw, when r we meeting for a ride? meet near westchester airport?

gdw
11-18-2007, 09:07 PM
Evening trail rides after dark during the week and long mountain bike rides on the weekends at a comfortable pace with friends. Hikes in the foothills with the dogs when I'm lazy. Beer or whiskey in the evening. I love the fall.

CNY rider
11-18-2007, 09:19 PM
The next week is totally devoted to deer hunting.

Hopefully after that we have solid snow cover for skiing, and the local rink is up for hockey.

I enjoy cycling a lot more overall when I let up on it for 3 or 4 months in the winter. I'll still commute to work by bike but I need to indulge some other hobbies in the winter.

BURCH
11-18-2007, 10:32 PM
50 degrees and partly sunny today. Got in a nice ride.

Jack Brunk
11-18-2007, 11:00 PM
50 road miles yesterday. Today because of the great DAVID KIRK, 37 miles on my Serotta CHT with almost 4000 feet of blissful climbing made so easy because of a terrific design by Mr. Kirk and Serotta. God love the mountains in the fall. The new C50 rocks though.

Tailwinds
11-19-2007, 12:42 AM
Drinking wine at the moment... :p

RIHans
11-19-2007, 01:17 AM
Suns out, I'm out.

Hate to a wimp, but snow is the cutoff.

If it's snowing, I ain't riding...Until March First. Then, Game On.

Ray
11-19-2007, 01:36 AM
I need more options and need to be able to check more than one of 'em. I'm running as much as my body will permit, which isn't a lot but helps. I'm riding, but much less. Seems I've into a fair weather rider. Somewhere along the line it occurred to me that riding when its below forty isn't really that much fun for me, except fairly short and slow (even for me) rides around town on my town bike in street clothes - no real wind chill factor generated. I'll ride in the thirties some in January and February, just to maintain sanity, but I don't really like it and the sanity part is arguable from the get-go. But I take a lot of longer hikes with my dog in the winter. And I hit the gym and spend an hour or so on the rower and spin bike a few times a week. And I even get into shooting hoop somewhat strenuously, running for rebounds, back out to shoot, etc.

But despite all of that, I pretty much go to seed in the winter and get some fitness back in the spring.

-Ray

Blue Jays
11-19-2007, 01:48 AM
Less riding due to diminishing available daylight and cranking-up the treadmill for running to cover the deficit. Increased work in the weightroom, a bit of racquetball, shooting some baskets, occasional laps in the pool.
Pretty much all the stuff one can expect to do for fun and a complete workout at a local gym.

DRZRM
11-19-2007, 05:39 AM
Running more (4-6 miles per day), couple beers in the evening, sharpening the edges on my alpine snowboard and waiting for snow. I'll still commute most of the winter on my bike, but overall miles are coming down.

Fixed
11-19-2007, 05:47 AM
same as summer just a little cooler now and dark early
cheers imho

ClutchCargo
11-19-2007, 08:04 AM
Weather gets colder, roads get crummier with sand and other debris and(eventually) snow, and fewer hours of light . . . not exactly conducive to a lot of riding. Anyway, we end up in Vermont almost every weekend to ski. So my riding is curtailed quite a bit from Thanksgiving 'til April or so, except for the rollers or spin sessions at the local gym (does that even count? :) ). So I am riding less but skiing more (I hope!) - oh, and cross training with the occasional snowshoe trek!

Ride (or slide) on !

davids
11-19-2007, 09:35 AM
Weekday mornings: M, W, F I do push-ups and "Abs of Steel", followed by about 15 minutes of stretching. T, Th I get on the trainer and do 1-legged drills a la Ti Designs for about 30-40 minutes.

Weekends I ride my mountain bike. I spent 2 hours in the Blue Hills yesterday re-acquainting myself with a lot of really fun trails. I was pleased that I felt strong and fit, and hadn't lost all of my off-road bike handling skills in the eight months I spent on the road. Mountain biking is fun.

MarleyMon
11-19-2007, 09:41 AM
Riding the same amount on weekends until it snows.
Drinking more coffee.
Walking stairs after work.
XC skiing when and where the snow hits.

Fat Robert
11-19-2007, 09:42 AM
I've had my August-September break (my sinuses don't "do" those months in South Carolina. Spinelli joked I'm a hypochondriac. The power meter and the times my allergist has had to give me cortisone injections to help me breathe in those months don't lie...I can't do crap those months most years...and yeah, I'm still a head case, but that's different....).

Now I'm putting in base for next year. I don't have the time for long rides, so that means training twice a day 4 days a week, "sweet spotting" in 4-5 of those workouts, doing high-cadence pedalling in the rest, taking two rest days, and one "long" ride of two hours on Sunday.

Except right now I have another sinus infection...friggin dead leaves and mold....

Climb01742
11-19-2007, 09:59 AM
The new C50 rocks though.

please, tell us more. rode my c50 both days this weekend and was digging it. very curious how it compares to your other rides.

Fixed
11-19-2007, 10:13 AM
bro i heading to work in the a.m. it's about 65 degrees I see this cat on a bike ahead I catch up to him he decked out from head to toe in cold weather gear ..I'm on my fix in cargos t shirt (sachs) mt bike shoes bike cap and hey I have a helmet on . i come up close to him on his left side and hey bro hows it going ? the cat give me a dirty look doesn't say a thing so I ride off

is it so hard to say hello or cos someome looks different they don't get it ?
cheers

C5 Snowboarder
11-19-2007, 10:17 AM
Snowboarding AND more golf. One nice thing about the Great Pacific Northwest is one can snowboard in the moring and get a ride or 18 holes in in the afternoon.

Tom
11-19-2007, 10:25 AM
Wondering just how low I can get my lactose turnpoint.

I'm waiting another week and then I get back on the bike for pootly type ride around and keep the legs turning over business. Going to the gym and rassling with those stupid machines. Drinking a lot. Cursing my fate. Spitting at department store Santas and Salvation Army bell ringers.

cadence231
11-19-2007, 10:26 AM
Doing what I did last year at this time and throughout the winter, increasing mitochondrial density and raising my FTP by Sweet Spotting . I cut down my on-the-bike time and am now doing SS 15w higher than the year before...this after being trained and doing huge miles for the previous 5yrs. And after being prodded by my pro buddy, I did and won one of three races I did this year! On a Serotta no less!

http://www.biketechreview.com/performance/mitochondria.htm

http://www.fascatcoaching.com/training_tips/SweetSpot_partdeux.html

DRZRM
11-19-2007, 10:27 AM
Hey Dave,

Drop me a line if you want to ride some trails together down there. I'll try not to hold you up too much, but I can't promise anything.

Zach

Weekday mornings: M, W, F I do push-ups and "Abs of Steel", followed by about 15 minutes of stretching. T, Th I get on the trainer and do 1-legged drills a la Ti Designs for about 30-40 minutes.

Weekends I ride my mountain bike. I spent 2 hours in the Blue Hills yesterday re-acquainting myself with a lot of really fun trails. I was pleased that I felt strong and fit, and hadn't lost all of my off-road bike handling skills in the eight months I spent on the road. Mountain biking is fun.

shoe
11-19-2007, 10:55 AM
after eating a pint of ice cream last night i thought i would try to work it out...on the trails this am.....took out this guy who is a crusher on the road...so we get to this one spot..and i was saying how you can really open it up on this snake section....well it was a little rainy and muddy so i just ran into a tree instead...man glad i wore a helmet today....trails in the winter get nice here when it's not raining ... harden up and can really get movin at times...i think i might try some running this winter as well....we'll see//dave

spiderman
11-19-2007, 10:55 AM
but really enjoying the off-road experience.
...an hour ride is still an hour ride...
but the mileage is less.
i suppose instead of 3 hours a day saddle time
it's closer to 1.5 to 2 hours a day at this point.

shoe
11-19-2007, 11:05 AM
fixed anytime you wanna come up to jersey we can just spend a day chasing down dudes all kitted out....and be really friendly just to confuse them even more....flip flops and shirtless makes em even more anti social...huh....dave

Archibald
11-19-2007, 11:08 AM
Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and Thai kickboxing 4-times (8-hours) a week. Just started guitar lessons once a week, practicing 6-hours a week. Riding the gay road bike for an hour or two a few times a week. Complaining about how sore & tired I am: constantly. Drinking to forget my pain? Oh yes.

erikbrooks
11-19-2007, 11:51 AM
It's cross season! I'm riding less, but pretty intensely. Sometimes it seems ironic that I spent the entire day yesterday at the bike race and only rode for about 90 minutes, including course inspection, warm-up, and a minimal cool-down, but cross rocks! Big fun with some narrow fast singletrack and some level muddy grass that just sucked all momentum out.

Still riding to work, but no long rides.

Mainly, I'm training for the XC ski masters world champs in march. Saturday I was roller skiing. I'm also hitting the gym for strength maintainence stuff and some aerobical drills. I'm also doing Pilates.

Then there's the running, which I really need to do more of, and I'll step that up soon. It's been kind of hard to focus on this in addition to cross, but I'll lose that 'conflict' soon.

Let it snow!

Ti Designs
11-19-2007, 12:29 PM
Pedal stroke work on the trainer, strength work at the gym, more wine with meals. The way I see it, there's nothing I can do in terms of fitness now that's gonna mean anything next spring, so I'm not wasting my time working my butt off - there's plenty of that to come later. If I have a near perfect pedal stroke and a 200+ RPM cadence and can push half the weight of my car on the leg sled come January I'll be pretty happy. If not I'll settle for a nice bottle of red...

swoop
11-19-2007, 01:51 PM
assss loads of base (19 hours last week). lots of riding alone and trying to lose weight and focus on developing power and being efficient. only because there isn't a bone in my body that is naturally athletic. lots of time in the 53/12 slowly turning the pedals and lifting the dead weight of the one pedaling up.

there isn't a guy out here that i don't feel behind of in every way. its work to just slip in among em.

Fixed
11-19-2007, 01:54 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmBCYQa-FGw&feature=related
cheers

Archibald
11-19-2007, 01:56 PM
assss loads of base (19 hours last week).

there isn't a guy out here that i don't feel the behind of in every way. its work to just slip it in among em.
Are we talking about the same thing here?

:banana:

swoop
11-19-2007, 02:02 PM
Are we talking about the same thing here?

:banana:

well i'm not gay but my biking sure is.

Archibald
11-19-2007, 02:07 PM
well i'm not gay but my biking sure is.
Bummer. I was just going to ask you if you'd like to get together and eat some caramels.

julia
11-19-2007, 02:08 PM
i find simply messing around on this forum increases my vo2max significantly

swoop
11-19-2007, 02:13 PM
Bummer. I was just going to ask you if you'd like to get together and eat some caramels.

that's odd.. i was going to go see if you're up for a tossed salad and some chardonnay.

Fixed
11-19-2007, 02:21 PM
bro be careful you'll have to delete yourself
cheers

Ginger
11-19-2007, 02:23 PM
This *has* been, in the past, when I sorted out orthopeic issues. I don't have any of those this year! So, no physical therapy required. Yippee!

So...it's been a long long time, but about now is when I stop lazing around and start riding again. I have a lot of catching up to do, get back into a routine and such. Pedal stroke work on the trainer and such. Weights and core work. Lots of walking. I work on weight loss as well until the end of February (with varying success...)

swoop
11-19-2007, 02:26 PM
exercise bulimia is the new black.

manet
11-19-2007, 06:09 PM
weight loss plan in full swing.
just lost 5 lbs in 2 days.
stomach bug.
maybe i should order a new bike.

shinomaster
11-19-2007, 07:27 PM
Racing! :banana:

GONE4ARIDE
11-19-2007, 07:30 PM
Mud & cowbells!

Ginger
11-19-2007, 07:49 PM
weight loss plan in full swing.
just lost 5 lbs in 2 days.
stomach bug.
maybe i should order a new bike.

I don't have to exercise to loose weight, I just have to eat some wheat. Then I can eat everything and anything I want and still drop 10 lbs a month and keep it off...

I sleep all the time...but malnourishment does that to you.

jbl
11-19-2007, 08:55 PM
I'm riding less and running more. I like spring running races, so this is the time I start building up my base running mileage again. My riding just becomes a nice recovery break for the running, but I still try and get on the bike two or three times a week for an easy hour to two hour spin.

Getting tired of riding in the dark, though.

BumbleBeeDave
11-19-2007, 09:19 PM
. . . "shoulder season" for me. The riding starts tailing off and I go back to the gym, which I did about three weeks ago. Ride on the weekends in daylight, go to the gym a couple of nights a week, and keep that up till indoor spinning starts in December. I do weeknight rides for about a month, when I can still start out with a whiff of daylight and buddies are willing to go with me, but a couple of hours in the dark by yourself on the bike trail gets real boring after a month. Did 46 miles a week ago Saturday in daylight, then didn't ride until our local "Sweat N' Ice" century yesterday. Yeah, it was cold! . . .

I've found this routine works for me. December--March doing the gym/spinning thing, with a few forays outside if weather allows. Then I'm jonesin' to get back outside. I really wonder if i could keep up my enthusiasm for doing at least a hundred miles a week outdoors if I lived somewhere warm enough to allow it. The variety of going back and forth over the seasons seem to help keep it fresh for me.

BBD