PDA

View Full Version : Why no all-ti Serottas in recent years

Badgers
11-18-2007, 03:26 PM
I'm just curious why I see no new offerings from Serotta that are full ti.
It seems that the trend is toward carbon or multi-material frames, and I wonder if this is fashion, economics, or if the ride is really better.

I've had a Cervelo R3 for about a year and a half now, and would like to pick up a 56-58cm Legend frame (it's OK to have two, right?), but I wonder what ever happened to the all ti models.

shanerpvt
11-18-2007, 03:29 PM
call'em up......they might make you one............does anyone know if they will?

Blue Jays
11-18-2007, 03:30 PM
You're comfortable with the notion of an all-titanium frame with carbon fiber forks or do you seek titanium forks as well?

Dekonick
11-18-2007, 03:35 PM
They still make the Legend - you can get it with carbon stays or all Ti.

Badgers
11-18-2007, 03:37 PM
Carbon fork would be OK. Seems to me a single material frameset would hold together better over the years, as it doesn't rely on bonded joints.

I realize the glues used today are superior, so maybe it's just a guess.

I'm looking for one of the "older" 2000 - 2003(?) framesets, but if I'm passing on the multi-material in error, I'd like to hear about it.

Serotta_James
11-18-2007, 03:38 PM
The Legend SE and GS have an all-titanium option.

James

djg
11-18-2007, 03:40 PM
The legend spec page says that they'll do ti stays on the SE version, if ya want:

http://serotta.com/legend/specs.html

Sorry ... the official story beat me to the punch

Badgers
11-18-2007, 03:57 PM
Thanks James, DJG. That's good to know.

dave1215
11-18-2007, 04:08 PM
The Legend SE and GS have an all-titanium option.

James

the website says that the SE stay is ST carbon with a Ti option but that the GS stay is CS Carbon (no option mentioned) - one concludes that you have to spend $4,995 to get a full titanium frame.

93legendti
11-18-2007, 04:40 PM
I bought a Demo Deal 2007 Concours all ti in May and there was an all ti Legend in the Classifieds on blowout from Serotta:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=34042

toaster
11-18-2007, 06:47 PM
Steel is real, but most aren't willing to pay a weight penalty when others will ride aluminum, ti, and carbon.

Carbon is the new aluminum.

Carbon fiber is here to stay. It is a superior material with a lot of promise and makes a great bicycle frame. There's nothing bad about it, except that it will break sometimes catastrophically when impacted or stressed.

swoop
11-18-2007, 06:58 PM
you know what i love about carbon? it's that it's made steel and ti seem like an exotic. and something about steel now feels subversive and indulgent and perfect.

with most of these wonderful carbon blob bikes out in the market... the idea of a guy hand making a steel frame feels decadent, perverse, and like i am getting to participate in something of art. so, gawd bless carbon.

there are no superior materials... because a bike is more than the material its made of. if the common denominator of carbon is a limited size run then it really doesn't matter what it does... because the bottom line is great bikes fit great.

when boonen won on that aluminum rig that dario welded up for him.. was it a harder win because the bike was aluminum or an easier win because the bike fit?

J.Greene
11-18-2007, 07:09 PM
Steel is real, but most aren't willing to pay a weight penalty when others will ride aluminum, ti, and carbon.

I did our big century in Central FL today(Horrible Hundred). Almost Everybody who came in later than 5.5 hours was paying a weight penalty. It's a Joke really. A big fat american joke.
JG

shanerpvt
11-18-2007, 07:13 PM
[QUOTE=swoop]you know what i love about carbon? it's that it's made steel and ti seem like an exotic. and something about steel now feels subversive and indulgent and perfect.

with most of these wonderful carbon blob bikes out in the market... the idea of a guy hand making a steel frame feels decadent, perverse, and like i am getting to participate in something of art. so, gawd bless carbon.
QUOTE]

well said swoop!

shaner

DarrenCT
11-18-2007, 07:34 PM
[QUOTE=swoop]you know what i love about carbon? it's that it's made steel and ti seem like an exotic. and something about steel now feels subversive and indulgent and perfect.

QUOTE]

well said swoop!

shaner

+1000

Simon Q
11-18-2007, 09:16 PM
[QUOTE=shanerpvt]

+1000

+1001

jpw
11-19-2007, 03:00 AM
the website says that the SE stay is ST carbon with a Ti option but that the GS stay is CS Carbon (no option mentioned) - one concludes that you have to spend $4,995 to get a full titanium frame.

Ben Serotta told me that the GS is available in all ti.

MalleyNogo
11-19-2007, 06:33 AM
... and something about steel now feels subversive and indulgent and perfect...

so, did you put your name down for a Speedwagen?

teeheehee

deechee
11-19-2007, 09:04 AM
i miss the fierte Ti.
(I wish I had bought one :crap: )

fffastfreddie
11-19-2007, 09:14 AM
when boonen won on that aluminum rig that dario welded up for him.. was it a harder win because the bike was aluminum or an easier win because the bike fit?

I thought Specialized built up a temp E5 for him? Can you tell us more about the actual story?

ss-jimbo
11-19-2007, 09:45 AM
you know what i love about carbon? it's that it's made steel and ti seem like an exotic. and something about steel now feels subversive and indulgent and perfect.

+531