PDA

View Full Version : i love the winter

glc
11-18-2007, 11:39 AM
less people on the road, crisp morning runs, quiet beaches, the sobering effect of a brisk cold ride home after a nite of drinking, big hearty meals, rainy day inspired future builds, hot baths, pumpkin pie, grappa, surf trips to mexico

course the snow hasnt come yet and fall just started with a month to go til winter's official start but whateva i got hope, and rollers.

that surfer is the forums ' shoe ' 4 blocks from his house down shore in Jersey.

that bike is the most magical whip ive ever owned.

that hunk of beef is an aged, grass fed, rib roast that made everyone cry.

Fixed
11-18-2007, 11:46 AM
bro you have style
cheers imho

julia
11-18-2007, 12:00 PM
glc, you just made life look and sound so very, very good!

it's gray and calm here in the pnw, bikes and guitars for me, hopefully.

happy winter sunday y'all

Blue Jays
11-18-2007, 12:42 PM
"...rainy day inspired future builds..."glc, that's precisely what I was thinking while considering the wet roads beneath my tires and contemplating the grit & salt that is very soon to follow. Great post with fantastic pictures.

:beer:

csm
11-18-2007, 12:53 PM
I'll be downa shore this weekend after t-giving. not sure we're bring bikes.
maybe just ride the cruisers in the shed. I love the shore this time of year. nobody around and the skate parks are empty.

bozman
11-18-2007, 09:52 PM
Where in Jersey? I grew up on Long Beach Island and that picture reminded me of a lot of weekends spent in full suits, booties, lobster mittens, and hoods during my middle and high school years. I miss the fall and winter back east.

Kevan
11-19-2007, 07:41 AM
on my commute to work (in the car, thank you). It is beautiful when some of the autumn leaves are still sticking around, a grey sky, snow falling in flurries, and most importantly, knowing the stuff isn't going to stick this time around.

I am already missing the warmth.

JohnS
11-19-2007, 07:44 AM
I can't wait to get out the snowshoes (hopefully, more thanonce this year). The fresh snow muffles sound and it's just so peaceful and white...

Fixed
11-19-2007, 07:45 AM
enjoy an american master
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=io1o1Hwpo8Y
cheers

goonster
11-19-2007, 07:46 AM
That's a nice spoke card. :beer:

sspielman
11-19-2007, 08:04 AM
glc, you just made life look and sound so very, very good!

it's gray and calm here in the pnw, bikes and guitars for me, hopefully.

happy winter sunday y'all

okay..surfing/guitars in the same thread...it could only mean one thing!

Blue Jays
11-19-2007, 08:33 AM
The red tires on that fixie match perfectly and looks very sharp. I would be inclined to exchange the honey-colored saddle for a black one. What is the brand of the frameset?

Kevan
11-19-2007, 08:43 AM
That's a nice spoke card. :beer:

What is that particular spoke card about and why is this addition with so many within the fixed crowd popular?

Bud
11-19-2007, 08:43 AM
Beautiful fixie.

I love winter too. However, if we don't start getting some snow soon our ski season could really suck later on. I'm jonesing to ski, but there's not much in the backcountry and I'm not hip to the idea of skiing on a 10m wide strip of manmade snow/ice. Usually I've been at least once by this time of year.

Blue Jays
11-19-2007, 08:55 AM
Patience, Bud, patience! It's always tough waiting for those favorite trails to be opened for the first fresh parallel tracks down the mountain!

:D

goonster
11-19-2007, 09:02 AM
What is that particular spoke card about and why is this addition with so many within the fixed crowd popular?

Spoke cards are typically issued by alleycat races/events, but this particular spoke card is a PBP frame tag and therefore not exactly a common sight on your garden variety fixie rig.

Kevan
11-19-2007, 09:07 AM
I did some Googling too so I have a better understanding of this mojo. Yeah, that card would rate up there with an ace.

Climb01742
11-19-2007, 09:12 AM
here in new england, it was cold this weekend. near 32 and windy. a few brief flurries this morning. so wrong. not ready for this yet.

justinf
11-19-2007, 09:40 AM
g--awesome pics. nice wave shoe. here is the blue ridge parkway last weekend. . .getting chilly, finally.

glc
11-19-2007, 11:11 AM
I did some Googling too so I have a better understanding of this mojo. Yeah, that card would rate up there with an ace.

tis my badge of honor.

glc
11-19-2007, 11:12 AM
The red tires on that fixie match perfectly and looks very sharp. I would be inclined to exchange the honey-colored saddle for a black one. What is the brand of the frameset?

its an old grandis, early eighties me thinks.

glc
11-19-2007, 11:14 AM
g--awesome pics. nice wave shoe. here is the blue ridge parkway last weekend. . .getting chilly, finally.

jealous!! i gotta down there, i wanna ride in those mountains!!!

julia
11-19-2007, 11:33 AM
okay..surfing/guitars in the same thread...it could only mean one thing!

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s306/juliahensley/CIMG6503.jpg

justinf
11-19-2007, 11:53 AM
julia that is about as cool as it gets.

glc, come on down bro, place to stay, eat, and we will ride hard. you and yours are always welcome, j

shoe
11-19-2007, 12:54 PM
that photo doesn't do the grandis justice...she is truly easy on the eyes...as far as the snow or not..doesn't matter when the surf gets better in the winter...ahhhh yes winter...hot chocolate.. hickeys..throwing popcorn in the movie theaters while answering your cell phone of course.....the world wide web....paying the oil bill...trying to fillet fish while shivering in your wetsuit...did i mention hickeys......PS JUSTIN .....grant's significant other would be me unless he replaces me with this biker chick..ohh and there is lee as well....kind of special in a short shorts kinda way that lee....dave

glc
11-19-2007, 12:58 PM
by hickeys shoe means the rash that the trees give him during their run ins whilst out on his single track excursions.

julia
11-19-2007, 01:14 PM
by hickeys shoe means the rash that the trees give him during their run ins whilst out on his single track excursions.

rash, you mean like this??

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s306/juliahensley/attachmentphp.jpg

goonster
11-19-2007, 01:32 PM
http://boldt.us/4556-2/ROFL_MAO

glc
11-19-2007, 01:35 PM
t.PS JUSTIN .....grant's significant other would be me unless he replaces me with this biker chick..ohh and there is lee as well....kind of special in a short shorts kinda way that lee....dave

you're irreplaceable. nobody can half wheel me like you do.

shoe
11-19-2007, 07:52 PM
i never did read that half wheel thread....julia could half wheel me anytime though...or is it vice versa

bnewt07
11-20-2007, 01:58 AM
Winter for me means that I switch from majority road to majority off road. Sleet, mud rain and more mud, that is what MTB's are about I love every splashy minute of it!

Winter also means challenging what my wife and I call the 'Goretex rule'. Stated briefly it goes; the more goretex you own the less you go out in the rain'. When we were all students we had no decent outdoor kit but went out in all conditions. Now all my friends have kids, mortgages and cupboards full of the latest waterproof gear but if it looks a bit damp outside they don't venture outside!

Pah! We enjoy a good day of really bad weather, either in the hills or on bikes.

Bruce

Lifelover
11-20-2007, 07:04 AM
...Winter also means challenging what my wife and I call the 'Goretex rule'. Stated briefly it goes; the more goretex you own the less you go out in the rain'. When we were all students we had no decent outdoor kit but went out in all conditions. Now all my friends have kids, mortgages and cupboards full of the latest waterproof gear but if it looks a bit damp outside they don't venture outside!...

LOL

I can understand that.

I'm jones-ing for a bike with Fenders although I realy have no intentions of riding if it rains.

justinf
11-20-2007, 07:06 AM
That sounds good to me fellas. Bring the gender-unspecified short shorts too.