PDA

View Full Version : Ti and carbon fiber...move over!!!!!

Frank
07-24-2004, 06:03 PM
The bamboo covered bike is here!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=7298&item=3690508031

Russ
07-24-2004, 06:49 PM
Yeah,

Lance is lucky I didn't see this bike before the beginning of this year's Tour.

I would have entered the race on this jig and something seroius would have happened :p

Now, let's just keep this comment in the forum, ok guys? I don't want LeMond, Simoni or anyone else bitching, because I finally found superior equipment...

bostondrunk
07-24-2004, 08:01 PM
back to reality <burp>, you ride a serotta <burp>, back to the 20 km per hr club ride dude!!!<burp>

sfscott
07-24-2004, 09:56 PM
Yup, my LBS had one. You had to look twice to figure it out.

Ride report was "kinda stiff," or so said the wrench.

Tom Robison
07-24-2004, 10:41 PM
Lemon Pledge really comes into its own with keeping the bamboo Calfee clean.

Tom

ericmurphy
07-25-2004, 12:28 AM
I might have told this story before; if so, forgive the repetition. Anyway, here's how I found out I know Craig Calfee. A friend of mine used to date this guy she met in Santa Cruz when she was living in the area. They dated for about three years, during which time she would often call me up and tell me the usual things girls don't like about dating guys. At various points, she would tell me that her boyfriend owned a small company that built carbon-fiber bike frames. I didn't think too much of it; there are lots of small shops building bikes in the Bay Area.

As time went by, evidently her boyfriend's business was really taking off, and she had told me a few times that his business had gotten a big boost when Greg Lemond had ridden his bikes in the TdF. Again, I was thinking, maybe he built bikes for TVT or something?

Years after they'd broken up, I was riding with this woman whose Torrelli had recently been totaled in a traffic accident (she wasn't hurt, thankfully). She was talking about what kind of bike she was thinking of getting, and mentioned maybe getting a Calfee, since it was a local business. I asked her where Calfee was located (for some reason, I was under the impression it was a French import). When she said Santa Cruz, I asked, "Hey, what's Calfee's first name?"

"Craig, why?"

"Oh, wow, I actually know Craig! I've even met him before!"

Anyway, it so happens that Craig had built my friend a bamboo mountain bike. Or, actually, she had built it, under his direction. I mentioned this in an e-mail to the ex-Torrelli owner, who flat-out refused to believe me, and in fact accused me of making the whole thing up. Evidently my claims of bamboo bikes provoked a crisis of confidence in me on her part. She sent me an e-mail that said, "I thought the comments about Craig Calfee could have been true but seemed implausible. Overall you are a nice guy and I am not sure what is going on with you.… I'm not sure how to handle things, i.e., what do I say now? As far as riding goes, I am not sure why this mattered to me but it did. I guess because I am trusting you guys when I got out on rides with you; I depend on some level of honesty. Perhaps you can clarify and put my mind at ease?"

Wow. Considering we were just casual riding buddies, this seemed a bit extreme. So I had my friend e-mail her a picture of her bamboo bike. She did apologize for not believing me, but it kind of soured the whole riding-buddy thing anyway.

shinomaster
07-25-2004, 03:06 AM
My local shop has a Bamboo Calffee...

Russ
07-25-2004, 04:02 AM
back to reality <burp>, you ride a serotta <burp>, back to the 20 km per hr club ride dude!!!<burp>

BD,

That's some fast club you ride with man... Down here we average about 8 KM/H :p

ericmurphy
07-25-2004, 10:06 PM
BD,

That's some fast club you ride with man... Down here we average about 8 KM/H :p

Speaking of KM/H…here's one of my favorite quotes from Cycling News's coverage of yesterday's time trial:

"Sandy Casar is not enjoying himself out there, trying to find a gear that enables him to ride at 50 km/h with ease. There isn't one."