PDA

View Full Version : OT: Removing the Appendix

William
11-17-2007, 02:35 PM
Anyone had theirs removed? What were the symptoms. Acute pain? Dull pain. A pressure? Was it a low pain then acute? Or just "BAM", mucho pain? How long did you wait?

William

gasman
11-17-2007, 02:58 PM
The symptoms can vary a fair bit. Typically there is some vague abdominal pain around your umbilicus (belly button ) it then continues to worsen over a day to several days until there is a fair amount of pain in the right lower part of your abdomen, especially with pressing on the abdomen.
Do you think you or a family member has an inflamed appendix ?
If so, dude, go see a doctor. Don't listen to some nut job on the internet :D

PM me if you have other questions.

rwsaunders
11-17-2007, 03:08 PM
My neighbor is having hers removed; 48 years old. Steady pain, discomfort and enlarged lymph nodes. Don't play around.

www.webmd.com

1centaur
11-17-2007, 04:28 PM
Friend's wife had one removed at Mass General a few weeks ago. Pretty much an immediate decision to jump in the car and head over there. There are newer and older forms of surgery - the newer one seems way better - two small holes, laparoscope (I think), much quicker healing, much better scar; avoid surgeons living in the 1950s. Rates of post operation infection are surprisingly high (reflects the location in the body).

Location of pain is supposed to be: put a right thumb in your belly button and the little finger will be on the pain diagonally down to the right.

dvs cycles
11-17-2007, 04:55 PM
Maybe someone can post how to do this surgery yourself and completely skip the middle men. :D

BumbleBeeDave
11-17-2007, 05:01 PM
My neighbor is having hers removed; 48 years old. Steady pain, discomfort and enlarged lymph nodes. Don't play around.

www.webmd.com

William, if it's you or someone you know, don't delay! Get it checked out NOW! If by chance it's delayed too long and the appendix bursts, that is DEAD-serious business, as it releases all sorts of gook into the abdominal cavity and peritonitis can result! It can be fatal!

BBD

Viper
11-17-2007, 05:04 PM
Maybe someone can post how to do this surgery yourself and completely skip the middle men. :D

That's what I thought, where is the DIY?

Bud_E
11-17-2007, 05:06 PM
That's what I thought, where is the DIY?

I always look on the Park tools website.

Flat Out
11-17-2007, 05:08 PM
Had mine out when I was in high school. I actually wasn't in very much pain but I was throwing up quite a bit. Anyway, it's no joke. Get it checked out

northbend
11-17-2007, 05:11 PM
Mine felt like really bad stomach cramps/gas. Started one evening about 10 years ago and the next day it was just getting worse so I told my wife that I'd drive to the local clinic and have it checked out. They looked me over and told me to get to the hospital immediately. In the emergency room I called my wife to tell her what was going on and she woulnd't believe me - they thought I was joking. This was happening while I was being put on the gurney to go in for surgery. She was only convinced when I told her she could talk to the Dr.. The first thing I remembered after the surgery was my wife crying and apoligizing for not being there for me. It was funny but I did learn 2 lessons:

1: don't put off seeing the Dr if you don't feel right
2: don't kid around with someone you love to the point she thinks you're always pulling her chain. that wasn't nice for me to put her through that.

Go see the doctor

BumbleBeeDave
11-17-2007, 05:14 PM
Appendix Removal: a guide

by

Louis C.K.

The following is a comprehensive set of instructions that are meant to aid a person who is planning to remove an appendix and has not done so before. It is always preferable, when appendix removal becomes necessary, to have the procedure performed by a person who has some experience, for example: a doctor. Many doctors, especially surgeons, have removed a part of a person already. However, if you know someone who needs their appendix to be on the outside of their body, and you do not want to “drive” them to the doctor, you should be able to perform the procedure, simply by following these easy instructions.

NOTE: TO ATTEMPT THIS PROCEDURE ON ONE’S SELF COULD RESULT IN COMPLICATION INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO; NAUSEA, DIZZINESS, DISCOMFORTS. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REMOVE YOUR OWN APPENDIX UNLESS ALL OTHER OPTIONS ARE NOT CONVENIENT.
WARNING: WHEN PLANNING TO REMOVE A PERSON’S APPENDIX, OR OTHER ORGANS IN A BODY, DO NOT ATTEMPT THE PROCEDURE IN A CROWDED PLACE OR A PLACE WHERE FOOD OR BEVERAGES ARE SERVED.

Remember, before removing the appendix, read this manual carefully, and keep it nearby, during the procedure for reference.

APPENDIX REMOVAL: STEP - BY - STEP

1. PREPARING THE PATIENT: The “Patient” is what we will call the person from who’s body the appendix is to be removed. It is important to prepare the patient before attempting the removal. The first step in preparation, is to tell the patient your intention to remove their appendix. If the patient knows your plans, it will be far easier to gain their cooperation. This step is done simply by saying to the person, “Excuse me, I’m going to take your appendix out now.” In the case that you have not met the patient, it may be suitable to say “Hello, my name is (your name) and I am going to take your appendix out of you. What is your name?”. (NOTE: It is normal for a patient to experience some psychological discomfort or “worry” when told of the impending removal. This is best alleviated by using the phrase “Now, now. I know best.” Comforting the patient prior to the removal will make it easier for them to hold still during the procedure, resulting in less blood escaping their bodies due to gravity and “The Hole” (To be discussed in the next chapter entitled “the Hole”)

2. THE HOLE: The hole is something that must be made in the body of the patient in order to gain access to the appendix. The hole may be created in one of many ways. The simplest way is to pierce the skin with a sharp or hot object, and then cut or slice away an area of skin, approximately the size of a miniature pumpkin. The skin that has been cut away can either be discarded, used to make a stylish hat or saved in a coke can to be replaced after the appendix is removed. NOTE: UPON MAKING THE HOLE, ONE MAY FIND THAT MUCH BLOOD WILL POUR FROM THE BODY. IF MORE THAN FIVE PINTS OF THIS BLOOD ESCAPES, THE PATIENT MAY BECOME “TIRED” OR “NOT ALIVE ANY LONGER”.

3. LOCATING THE APPENDIX: Once the hole is in place it becomes necessary to “locate” or “identify” the appendix, provided that removal of that organ is still the objective of the procedure. The appendix is easily located simply by asking any qualified doctor or surgeon where appendixes are. One should then look in the place recommended by said doctor and see if there is an appendix there. If there is one, you are now prepared to remove it.

4. REMOVAL: To remove the appendix, simply grasp the organ with your hand, curling your fingers around “it”. Then remove by employing one of the following method:

Method A. Walk away from the body containing the appendix until you are exactly ten feet away. Provided that your arms are shorter than ten feet, and you held fast to the appendix, it should now be outside of the body or “removed”. If you find that you did not hold onto the organ while you walked away, go back to the body and repeat the preceding steps, this time saying out loud “I must hold on to this organ, if I mean to remove it.”

Method B: While still holding onto the appendix, ask the patient to “Go over to that table and look for a pen.” Provided that the table is farther away from you than is the length of your arm, you should now have the appendix in the area outside the body or, once again, “Removed”.

5. AFTER THE REMOVAL: Once the removal is complete you can do whatever you desire, including but not limited to: going to a restaurant, committing suicide, winning an Emmy® Award.

NOTE: IF YOU NEED TO PERFORM A KIDNEY TRANSPLANT, MERELY REPLACE THE WORD “APPENDIX” WITH THE WORD “KIDNEY” IN THIS MANUAL, FOLLOW ALL INSTRUCTIONS AND THEN REVERSE THE PROCEDURE.

Ozz
11-17-2007, 05:17 PM
A buddy of mine had abdominal pain that grew steadily worse...he went to his doc, girlfriend was a nurse....they all missed it until it ruptured. Apparently he has a high pain threshhold...so when they asked if it hurt, the response was "Well, kinda...." :cool:

They had to open him up from crotch to sternum, clean out his insides and put him back together. He was in ICU for a week or more....pretty frickin' grim.

Don't mess around with it.....

Bud_E
11-17-2007, 05:18 PM
...and if your Doctor's name is Benway (http://www.prettysick.co.uk/CocaineWithSaniflush.html) , get out of there.

(p.s. Seriously, get it looked at soon)

Kevan
11-17-2007, 05:55 PM
put it in a jar for you.

Bring it to the next Serotta event as a show and tell. Cool!

spiderman
11-18-2007, 11:49 AM
*** acute appendicitis can be both the easiest
and the hardest diagnosis to make in modern medicine***
sometimes it's a classic triad:
1. periumbilical pain localizing to the right lower quadrant (mcburney's point)
midway between the umbilicus and the anterior superior iliac crest
2. mild leukocytosis elevated white blood count
3. percussion tenderness (peritonitis). elicited by many different
techniques...heel strike, leg stretch, hopping off a table,
riding your bike over bumps in the road...
...my poor attempt to make this somehow related to cycling...

many times acute appendicitis isn't classic.
i could tell you a hundred stories.

here's a recent one:
a couple weeks ago i had a mom bring her daugher into the office...
mom thought daughter was 'faking it' and brought her in
after three days of a 'groin strain'.
i was concerned after examining her, about an intra-abdomenal process
and although her wbc was normal,
and she had no true 'peritoneal signs',
i recommended doing an ultrasound of her abdomen.
as i was sitting next to her and moved the scanner up a bit
...this sausage shaped, stationary mass lit up the screen...
the most impressive case of acute appendicitis i've EVER seen...
i explained what i was seeing
and the mom got this 'deer in the headlights' look
that i will never forget!
i wheeled the patient over to the operating room
and told my friend, the surgeon, about my findings.
to make a very long story only slightly shorter...
he found a periappendiceal abcess
and was able to remove it through the scope,
but we kept her in-house on i.v. antibiotics for a couple days...
...which is a hot topic itself for another day...

so, bbdave is exactly right...
...don't mess with it....
if you're having symptoms
check it out!

Blue Jays
11-18-2007, 12:31 PM
There is a significant downside to not having a suspected appendix problem addressed promptly. Visit the appropriate doctor for examination. Best wishes for a speedy recovery should a surgical procedure be needed.

Erik.Lazdins
11-18-2007, 12:36 PM
William,
The appendix is the lunchroom where a lot of good bacteria hang out. They become really bad if the appendix bursts.

My wife had a dull ache one night about a year ago starting about 9:30PM. She woke me up about 1AM - the ache had become a pain and had traveled some. We woke the kids went to the ER and her appendix was removed laproscopically at 8AM that morning.

It set on really fast and fortunately we had care nearby.

Take care of yourself!

Louis
11-18-2007, 01:04 PM
So where's William ???

dave thompson
11-18-2007, 01:17 PM
So where's William ???
He's been removed. The appendix is here.

rwsaunders
11-18-2007, 01:34 PM
He's been removed. The appendix is here.

Ninjas probably removed it in the middle of the night.

Buzz
11-18-2007, 02:43 PM
Don't ignore unusual symptoms -your body is telling you something. My friend did for two days. The last thing he did before passing out was dial 911 (which saved his live). Infected spleen.

Dekonick
11-18-2007, 03:59 PM
William, if it's you or someone you know, don't delay! Get it checked out NOW! If by chance it's delayed too long and the appendix bursts, that is DEAD-serious business, as it releases all sorts of gook into the abdominal cavity and peritonitis can result! It can be fatal!

BBD

gook = POOP to be exact....

Listen to the forum doc's - get checked asap and don't go a fruit harvester (ala steal the peach...)

BumbleBeeDave
11-18-2007, 06:21 PM
. . . so, bbdave is exactly right...

Is this possible? What proof can you offer? i never even suspected! . . . ;)

BBD

slowgoing
11-18-2007, 09:30 PM
I had mine out when I was 6.

Symptoms? My tummy hurt.

spiderman
11-19-2007, 09:02 AM
Is this possible? What proof can you offer? i never even suspected! . . . ;)

BBD

...7108 and counting... :cool:

Archibald
11-19-2007, 11:03 AM
Peach. Appendix. Your choice.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=15804

RABikes2
11-20-2007, 12:38 AM
Anybody heard from William? :confused:
RA

BumbleBeeDave
11-20-2007, 06:41 AM
. . . think I should call him and check?

BBD

H.Frank Beshear
11-20-2007, 06:50 AM
. . . think I should call him and check?

BBD

Yes please do. Let us know. Thanks

Kevan
11-20-2007, 06:59 AM
it's a boy.

And that William is well.

RABikes2
11-20-2007, 10:13 AM
. . . think I should call him and check? BBD
Yes, please do, Dave; appreciate it.
RA

BumbleBeeDave
11-20-2007, 04:33 PM
. . . at the mobile number I have for him. Voice mail greeting sounded like him. Hopefully I'll hear from him . . .

Anybody else hear from him? Bruce K, do you have phone number for him?

BBD . . . getting worried. :eek:

cw05
11-20-2007, 04:59 PM
If interested in the opinion from someone who has diagnosed appendicitis and done the operation many times (both open and laparoscopically), here goes:
The symptoms can range from vague abdominal discomfort to sharp, intense pain. The pain stereotypically starts periumbilical (around belly button) and moves to the right lower quadrant. Classic exam findings are right lower quadrant pain with rebound tenderness (pain worsens when abdomen in right lower quadrant pressed then quickly released). Patients often have fever and mildly elevated white blood cell count. It is clinical diagnosis (ie. made based on a general gestalt) but frequently aided nowadays with CT scans which are very accurate for confirming diagnosis in nonspecific cases. If you suspect you have these symptoms you should go to a ER immediately as appendicitis can be deadly if ignored.

The old tried and true appendectomy operative method is a 8-12 cm transverse or oblique incision in the right lower quadrant. Laparoscopy began to emerge as the standard operation in the mid 90's (not the 50's as a previous poster implied). However, if you've had previous abdominal surgery (with subsequent intra-abdominal adhesions) or the appendix is retro-cecal (behind the 1st part of the large intestine) or the surgeon is unable to safely do the procedure laparoscopically for whatever reason you will get the bigger incision for safety. Again, even in the modern age of surgical laparoscopy, open surgery is still the gold standard and standard of care. Lastly, there are three (5mm x2 and 12mm x1), not two incisions for lap appendectomy.

Ahneida Ride
11-20-2007, 05:03 PM
I just called Uncle William at 6:00 PM ..... No Answer .... I left a message.

I'll keep trying .... :confused:

RABikes2
11-20-2007, 09:17 PM
I just called Uncle William at 6:00 PM ..... No Answer .... I left a message. I'll keep trying .... :confused:
AR, please post when you get information on Cuz William.
Thanks.
Cuz RA
Okay...now I'm concerned, too. :confused:

Ahneida Ride
11-20-2007, 09:49 PM
I tried again at 10:45 ... No answer ....

Left message that we are all concerned about him. :(

Ahneida Ride
11-21-2007, 12:22 PM
I just recieved a voice mail from William. His appendix is ok.
I tried calling William back, but again no answer.

BumbleBeeDave
11-21-2007, 12:33 PM
I just recieved a voice mail from William. His appendix is ok.
I tried calling William back, but again no answer.

. . . what about his peach? :D ;)

BBD

dave thompson
11-21-2007, 12:36 PM

BBD
Only YOU would be interested in something like that! :D

BumbleBeeDave
11-21-2007, 12:56 PM
Only YOU would be interested in something like that! :D

. . . but someone has to do it!

BBD

Kevan
11-21-2007, 01:48 PM

BBD

had no interest. None whatsoever. Zilch. Nada. Never even raised a brow.

Sandy
11-21-2007, 04:16 PM
Glad to hear that William has no problem with his appendix. However, I am still concerned. Perhaps he went away for the holidays or is just busy. I left him a PM yesterday and he did not respond to it. He also did not reply to the concern about his appendix on the thread. Probably just busy, but inconsistent with the William we all know. Hope that he is ok and all his loved ones too.

Sandy

BumbleBeeDave
11-21-2007, 04:26 PM
He's appreciative of our concern and says that while he IS going to the doctor, they are already pretty sure it is NOT his appendix. but he's NOT in the ICU or flat on his back or coughing up lung cookies! So rejoice!

He didn't say anything about the peach and I didn't ask!

BBD

William
11-21-2007, 04:30 PM
I just wanted to let everyone know I am doing ok. I appreciate the concern, really I do. I didn't mean to leave everyone hanging. Just been really busy nursing myself, getting some testing done, and prepping for the holiday. Turns out it wasn't the appendix, but at this point still trying to figure out what was going on. Not 100% but getting better.

Thanks for thinking about me. You folks are the best!

William

RABikes2
11-21-2007, 06:15 PM
I just wanted to let everyone know I am doing ok. I appreciate the concern, really I do. I didn't mean to leave everyone hanging. Just been really busy nursing myself, getting some testing done, and prepping for the holiday. Turns out it wasn't the appendix, but at this point still trying to figure out what was going on. Not 100% but getting better.
Thanks for thinking about me. You folks are the best!William
Yeah alright!! Cuz William is back! Hope you are feeling back to normal (which is what? ;) ) in no time at all, Cuz!
Cuz RA

Birddog
11-21-2007, 07:41 PM
William, there's an old time home remedy that works wonders. Make a fist, then extend your pinky finger till it's straight. Have someone firmly grasp your pinky and pull hard. You'll feel better in no time.

Birddog

dave thompson
11-21-2007, 07:50 PM
William, there's an old time home remedy that works wonders. Make a fist, then extend your pinky finger till it's straight. Have someone firmly grasp your pinky and pull hard. You'll feel better in no time.

Birddog
The mental image I have of William walking around during a Thanksgiving dinner with his pinky gently extended, pleading for someone to pull his finger is more than mildly amusing!

Ahneida Ride
11-21-2007, 09:58 PM
I just spoke with William ...

Poor guy has been in a lot of pain and has been well .... praying to the
porcelain god. at times violently ....

An ultra sound revealed nothing, but he still does not feel right.
He feels internal pressure. Appendix appears ok.
This all started after Uncle William ate a piece of questionable lettuce.

could this be Sal .... as in salmonella?

Any Docs care to chime in here?
Should Willian undergo additional tests? How bout a biospy of his stool to
check for bacteria?

Birddog
11-21-2007, 11:08 PM
could this be Sal .... as in salmonella?
I don't think so, I'm pretty sure Salmonella doesn't last that long. How about E-Coli?

edit A quick check informed me that Salmonella can indeed last 4 to 7 days.

Birddog

R2D2
11-22-2007, 06:40 AM
FWIW
I've had similar symptoms at times and have had a number of abdominal surgeries. After my first surgery some eight years ago I suffered from a vague
right lower quadrant pain on and off for years. At times it would actualy cause me to limp and sure hampered riding.
Finally last year after mutlipe trips to the ER and brief hospitlizations I was cut open from stem to stern. Exploratory surgery revealed, among other things my appendix had been inflamed for a LONG LONG time but never ruptured.
Mutliple CT scans never revealed any of this.
So William I feel for you and keep after the MD's if you have pain.
Don't rule out diverticulitis, but a CT scan is usually pretty good at finding that. If it persists find a good gastro MD.
Anyway I'm good to go for the last 12 months and ready to put a hurt on the
turkey bird today.