PDA

View Full Version : OT Joe Frank

keno
11-17-2007, 06:24 AM
I am looking for a source of Joe Frank monologues (stories, for the most part). He used to appear on KCRW, an NPR station in Santa Monica, CA, I think. He recently closed his website and I can't find archives, some of which one could listen to for free on the internet.

I find his work highly imaginative, and somewhat hypnotic, and wholly unpredictable. It is all very clean, but very bizarre and imaginative.

Let me know what you've got and are willing to share. I'm willing to pay.

keno

zeroking17
11-17-2007, 08:13 AM
In the 1980s I'd listen to Joe Frank's program every Friday evening starting at 9:00 pm. I'd turn the lights down, lie on the floor near the radio, and allow myself sink slowly into his monologues. Ninety minutes later I'd gently emerge from his reality.

I believe that you can still order the shows from his website:

http://www.joefrank.com/shows.html

keno
11-17-2007, 10:39 AM
unfortunately, without giving reason, he closed his website down in September. While you can still get to the site, nothing works. I've searched elsewhere on the internet, but each site seems to lead back to his defunct website. So the search goes on.

keno

KeithS
11-17-2007, 11:18 AM
From the Joe Frank web site - way down at the bottom.

"On August 31, Jatol.com - a hosting company that had operated for five years, providing excellent support and reasonable prices - disappeared, leaving hundreds, if not thousands of people without access to their Web content and email. There is speculation that Jatol may have stopped paying their host, Fastservers. The evidence is that Fastservers has been turning off the machines with Jatol's customers' content. Jatol had already collected September hosting fees from their customers (including myself). The story gets stranger. The owner of Jatol.com, Tim Tooley, has also disappeared. He was apparently very ill for some time, and speculation on the thread goes from his skipping the country to lying dead in his home. Fastservers apparently is unwilling to turn the machines back on, so people could get their content, without authorization from Tooley."

I miss him too. Used to be able to buy the compilations them from our local affiliate - MPR. But alas, no more.

zeroking17
11-17-2007, 12:04 PM
OK, I now see the gaping abyss behind the front door of Joe Frank's website. What a shame.

In the meantime, Keno and Keith (and others) may want to shuffle over to Ben Katchor's site. I'm a big fan of his work.

http://www.katchor.com/

His illustrated words (or narrative graphics) are in some way a visual equivalent of Joe Frank's aural reality. Katchor's books can transport you to another place, another time, another mood -- just like Frank's.

As a bonus, there are a number of short radio vignettes that you can listen to.

http://www.hearingvoices.com/webwork/isay/knipl.html

Cary Ford
11-17-2007, 10:12 PM
Why don't you e-mail KCRW and ask them?

I used to listen to Joe Frank every Sunday on my way to and/back from local crits!

victoryfactory
11-18-2007, 05:00 PM
Keno;
According to WNYC AM 820 they broadcast his show on Sunday at 11pm
I wonder if you can hear it where you are?
His show is also on XM satellite radio, I think.

VF