PDA

View Full Version : Help from the gang....

jmeloy
11-16-2007, 05:02 PM
reposted from Classifieds... sorry about that!

I have convinced "she who must be obeyed" that I need a custom steel road frame. I've gained a lot of guidance from the forumites and have narrowed my list to three good builders (each with a wait I can live with at my advanced age!). Now for my question....

As I began thinking about this and doing research, I was convinced I wanted to go "fancy" lugged. Slowly, I've moved towards "understated" lugged (not as "carved" and painted to match frame .... but maybe outlined ). Every once and a while, I'll see a fillet brazed frame and think maybe that's the right look.

Anyway.... thoughts and comments before I make it final?
JAM
Edit/Delete Message

rnhood
11-16-2007, 05:23 PM
I find it difficult to resist the beauty of a quality lugged frame. Just look at this one. (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=35939) Filet brazed are nice too but, those understated lugged bikes float my boat.

Kevan
11-16-2007, 05:27 PM
or you could go mixed.

I'm still stashing my bills in a undisclosed hiding spot, biding their and my time for the big purchase. I'm presently enjoying the fantasy phase of my new or used frame so it only heightens my enjoyment by offering you my two cents. Make that one cent, after all... I'm trying to save here.

So you could mix the love of lugged and fillet brazed, but for me, there's nothing like full lugged. I would go understated, but maybe aim for some intersting cut outs or hole drills accented with a contrasting paint. I might also consider asking for some whimsy, maybe some small token of mojo. that is personal to you.

Lastly, give the artist his due. Offer some parameters then let the saw, torch, file and paint fall where they may.

http://genetics.mgh.harvard.edu/hanczyc/jpg/moth/mothbb.jpg

Now, for this consult I'm sorry... but I have to charge you $100 dollars. I promise the money is going to a good cause.

jmeloy
11-16-2007, 05:36 PM
hmmmm. perhaps I can interest you in my Nigerian Oil Scam. Send me a check for $80 and I'll send you a Western union payment of $100 :bike:

Good comments.... trying to decide to just say "i want white and blue.... have at it!" do I have the nerve (and gotta keep it w/in reason on the benjamins!)

rnhood
11-16-2007, 05:46 PM
That is a beautifully corroded bike Kevan. The seamless penetration of rust and nicely corroded crankset depicts weathering at it's best. What is the wait time on a bike like this, 2 years in the rain?

Tobias
11-16-2007, 06:59 PM
That is a beautifully corroded bike Kevan. The seamless penetration of rust and nicely corroded crankset depicts weathering at it's best. What is the wait time on a bike like this, 2 years in the rain?Maybe if you live near the beach, otherwise it's at least 4 years.

For steel I prefer lugged or fillet brazed, not much into mixing it up. Comes down to taste. Guess I lean more towards lugged.
Good luck with new bike.

Pete Serotta
11-16-2007, 07:04 PM
Don't forget CDA
as you look at builders, please do not forget Serotta and the CDA. It is a wonderful ride and can be tuned and is custom. (just as most other builders are. )

Names mentioned earlier KIRK, SACHS, GOODRICH, HAMPSTEN. SPECTRUM (Kellogg) are all very good . It really depends on what you like, whose ride and reputation turns your desire to LUST, and which builder you BOND with,

As to lug type, filet, brazed, etc.....IT is your's to chose and will all ride well. Which look would you like should be the determining factor.

Have fun in the selection process

Fixed
11-16-2007, 07:21 PM
she who must be obeyed

maunahaole
11-16-2007, 07:23 PM
that hat is pretty pimp

Blue Jays
11-16-2007, 07:29 PM
Lugged frames are beautiful in steel. Opt for a top-notch paintjob with minimal graphics and you'll have a homerun. Enjoy.

:beer:

mosca
11-16-2007, 07:39 PM
Minimalist lugs:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=29987

mosca like!

J.Greene
11-16-2007, 07:40 PM
I have convinced "she who must be obeyed" that I need a custom steel road frame.

If your going with a Sachs I'd not even tell her for another 5.5 years. My wife asked me the other day if I have gotten back in line. She did not believe me when I said no.

JG

DarrenCT
11-16-2007, 07:57 PM
JG,

don't u already have Sachs bikes?

btw, are you selling that Sachs that is too small? if so, lemme know, I may have a friend that will pull the trigger!

jmeloy
11-16-2007, 07:59 PM
Don't forget CDA
as you look at builders, please do not forget Serotta and the CDA. It is a wonderful ride and can be tuned and is custom. (just as most other builders are. )

Names mentioned earlier KIRK, SACHS, GOODRICH, HAMPSTEN. SPECTRUM (Kellogg) are all very good . It really depends on what you like, whose ride and reputation turns your desire to LUST, and which builder you BOND with,

As to lug type, filet, brazed, etc.....IT is your's to chose and will all ride well. Which look would you like should be the determining factor.

Have fun in the selection process

jmeloy
11-16-2007, 08:00 PM
she who must be obeyed
FIXED HOW DID YOU GET THE PIC OF MY WIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:beer:

Fixed
11-16-2007, 08:10 PM
bro our wifes are twins ...back to the old bailey cheers

J.Greene
11-16-2007, 08:26 PM
JG,

don't u already have Sachs bikes?

btw, are you selling that Sachs that is too small? if so, lemme know, I may have a friend that will pull the trigger!

I have two actually. But you got to get in line about 5 years before you actually want another.

I sold the small one locally. It's gone to a pal, she'll enjoy it very much.

JG

BumbleBeeDave
11-16-2007, 08:51 PM
That is a beautifully corroded bike Kevan. The seamless penetration of rust and nicely corroded crankset depicts weathering at it's best. What is the wait time on a bike like this, 2 years in the rain?

I told you to stop letting Sandy borrow your good bike. He just sweats waaaay too much!

BBD