PDA

View Full Version : My weight

J.Greene
11-16-2007, 06:32 AM
I'm struggling with my weight. I've lost 30lbs but need to drop about 20 more. I feel like brittany. I'm still really hot, but need to watch what I wear. What do you really skinny cats do to get over the hunger? I really want to be able to dress like e-Richie does. Tight white jeans will be back in style soon atmo.

JG

michael white
11-16-2007, 06:36 AM
everyone knows nothin's hotter than tight white jeans on an older fat white dude. . .

saab2000
11-16-2007, 06:36 AM
Welcome to the club.

Being hungry sucks.

Best advice, and do as I say, not as I do, is to eat lots of fruits and veggies. If you're hungry, eat an apple or banana.

I also find that proper hydration during and after rides (with an appropriate protein/energy drink) really, really curbs the hunger associated with training.

gt6267a
11-16-2007, 06:38 AM
air popped popcorn. use salt and pepper.

regularguy412
11-16-2007, 06:45 AM
Lots and lots of water. Sometimes thirst is disguised as hunger. If you don't really like water or, like me, get tired of plain water, drink Propel, PowerAde Option or one of the lo-cal, flavored waters.

I've lost 55 lbs over the last two years, but I've recently been stuck and can't seem to lose the last 10-15 lbs that I want to lose. Now that I've started drinking more water/flavored water, I seem to be losing again-- albeit slowly. I should note that increasing mileage on the bike didn't seem to cause any extra weight loss. It has to be a combination of diet and exercise that you find works for 'you'.

Mike in AR

flux
11-16-2007, 06:45 AM
San Pellegrino.

Altoids.

and...

Do like Henry. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amU2BoL-t9c)

Fixed
11-16-2007, 06:50 AM
bro 30 pounds that's great keep doin what your doing ..you know watch out for the holiday eat fest .cheers good work

J.Greene
11-16-2007, 06:51 AM
Do like Henry. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amU2BoL-t9c)

Get tats?

JG

zank
11-16-2007, 06:51 AM
I go to sleep. I tend to be hungriest at night, so I just go to bed.

J.Greene
11-16-2007, 06:54 AM
everyone knows nothin's hotter than tight white jeans on an older fat white dude. . .

Watch it bub...e-Richie is hot (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTssiNHD9MY)!

JG

merckx
11-16-2007, 07:26 AM

Same here. In five minutes you won't know that you're hungry.

dutri42590
11-16-2007, 07:38 AM
jg you look fine. you need to race next season in speedo and tight white jersey. :banana:
JPR

DarrenCT
11-16-2007, 07:41 AM
J,

try another sport like tennis or running for more exercise? i eat like a pig and have beer with dinner and am still a twig.

i think exercise is they key. not eating kinda sux however i agree w/ zank that its bad to eat a lot at night. that said, i had bowl of ice cream at 11pm lastnight :crap:

zank
11-16-2007, 07:42 AM
you can afford to, ripped-boy.

paczki
11-16-2007, 07:43 AM
Even 20 more pounds is not going to get you a date with Lance. He likes 'em real skinny :)

Just kidding, very impressive. Flavored water, popcorn, altoiids, celery and fruit, are all great suggestions.

DarrenCT
11-16-2007, 07:44 AM
you can afford to, ripped-boy.

z,

start up'ing your tolerance level for the worcester bar crawl

:D

stevep
11-16-2007, 07:45 AM
age is a significant factor in this.
general metabolism slows and fat accrues.
sad fact of life.

gotta eat less.
only solution.
sad but true.

zank
11-16-2007, 07:47 AM
z,

start up'ing your tolerance level for the worcester bar crawl

:D

Does it have to be Worcester? I dont want to have to be packin'.

DarrenCT
11-16-2007, 07:49 AM
Does it have to be Worcester? I dont want to have to be packin'.

'course not :beer:

Bernie
11-16-2007, 07:57 AM
You are doing great! Despite everything our cultures tells us about weight loss and size, eating, etc. It comes down to lifestyle changes and basic habits. There is no mystery to losing weight. Burn up more calories than you take in. Again, there is no mystery, no magic bullet, no cure, nothing that makes it easy. Burn up more than you take in. Period. That's the easy part, the hard part is adopting habits that keep you on the path toward your goal. Several folks have given you hints on good habits. Healthy diet, low in fats and meat, high in fruits and fiber, balanced with vitamins and appropriate nutrition will get you there. Keep portions moderate (small in american eyes). Think about a serving size you would get at Outback Steak House, then cut it into 1/4 or less. Small healthy snaks throughout the day, spaced out rather than several large meals helps me. I've cut out alcohol at times, gien up potato chip at times, can count on one hand the number of times I've eaten fast food in the last 5 years. Are you doing long hard sustained training rides of endurance or intensity? If not and only doing 1 to 1 1/2 hour rides then you probably don't need the extra calories you get from energy drinks. Cut down on the amount of caffeine you are taking in as you get it in so many places. If you have to have some soda, drink diet. You will get used to it. If you aren't doing some weight training, start. Muscle is denser than fat, but takes more calories to sustain. Over time, you will replace the fat with some extra muscle and do yourself a world of good (including improve your bone density and a lot of other things) plus it raises your body temp and metabolism burning extra calories for hours after your strenght training. When you see some progress, reward yourself (in moderation of course) and don't get down if you crave a chocolate ice cream cone and have one. Just keep in mind that the calories from it may take you an hour of moderate exercise to burn off, so having one more than occasionally is not smart. Hope this helps. Clearly you are doing good already. Keep it up.

Viper
11-16-2007, 08:00 AM
I'm struggling with my weight. I've lost 30lbs but need to drop about 20 more. I feel like brittany. I'm still really hot, but need to watch what I wear. What do you really skinny cats do to get over the hunger? I really want to be able to dress like e-Richie does. Tight white jeans will be back in style soon atmo.

JG

When you are hungry, drink water or sip green tea with honey. Any good tea would calm your hunger. Works for me. Except bacon, I can't get bacon out of my mind.

Also, think about your butt struggling up a 14% hill next Spring, that'll help you avoid the slice of pizza. Wake up starving, go to bed hungry.

WWERD?

What
Would
E
Richie
Do?

J.Greene
11-16-2007, 08:01 AM
age is a significant factor in this.
general metabolism slows and fat accrues.
sad fact of life.

gotta eat less.
only solution.
sad but true.

Yeah, that's how I lost the first 30.

It's interesting that I now see how people get fat issues. I've lost 30 but still see myself as fat. Of course everyone is fat compared to a bike racer.

JG

e-RICHIE
WWERD?

What
Would
E
Richie
Do?
Flux gets it (http://serotta.com/forum/showpost.php?p=423393&postcount=6) atmo.

DarrenCT
Yeah, that's how I lost the first 30.

It's interesting that I now see how people get fat issues. I've lost 30 but still see myself as fat. Of course everyone is fat compared to a bike racer.

JG

or a runway model :)

Viper
11-16-2007, 08:05 AM
Flux gets it (http://serotta.com/forum/showpost.php?p=423393&postcount=6) atmo.

Before I die, I want to see one thing.

I want to see Chuck Norris and Henry Rollins thrown into a room together. Then a microphone and a pair of nunchucks are thrown into the room (along with a bottle of lotion) and the door is closed. I WONDER who will be the man to open the door and walk out alive. I've wondered the outcome for decades now, can't stop thinking about it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsEZ2lpM0Yw

stevep
11-16-2007, 08:06 AM
e-richie says...
" i just wanna look like michael rasmussen...hes a little chubby but i could live with that...35 pounds to lose...atmo"

flux
11-16-2007, 08:12 AM
Sex.

Drugs.

Rock and Roll. (http://youtube.com/watch?v=hiQoq-wqZxg)

J.Greene
11-16-2007, 08:14 AM
e-richie says...
" i just wanna look like michael rasmussen...hes a little chubby but i could live with that...35 pounds to lose...atmo"

I wanna look like Barry Wicks, minus the gold speedo.

JG

e-RICHIE
11-16-2007, 08:16 AM
true angst-ridden clash (http://youtube.com/watch?v=cuVbOIYHiRc) atmo.

swoop
11-16-2007, 08:56 AM

yup.
nathan oneill.

water is your friend. so are apples.

old_school
11-16-2007, 09:02 AM
low glycemic diet helps

Ti Designs
11-16-2007, 09:22 AM
or a runway model :)

Oddly enough, there are a few runway models who want to look more like cyclists. Something about then not being allowed to work fashion week last year if they couldn't withstand a 25mph wind without getting blown off the strip. As a cycling coach it's kinda weird having to say "you need to put on a few pounds", but it does happen.

malcolm
11-16-2007, 09:30 AM
Fat and meats are much maligned and both are good for you. Lean protein creates satiety and you need healthy fats. Also muscle does little to help you lose weight, although weight or resistance training is good. The statement that increased muscle mass somehow increases metabolism is fallacy, muscle at rest requires little energy only working muscles burn calories. That said lean mass is preferable to fat. High glycemic carbs create hunger and binge cycles avoid white things flour/sugar.

Fixed
11-16-2007, 09:42 AM
Fat and meats are much maligned and both are good for you. Lean protein creates satiety and you need healthy fats. Also muscle does little to help you lose weight, although weight or resistance training is good. The statement that increased muscle mass somehow increases metabolism is fallacy, muscle at rest requires little energy only working muscles burn calories. That said lean mass is preferable to fat. High glycemic carbs create hunger and binge cycles avoid white things flour/sugar.

good advise imho
cheers

Viper
11-16-2007, 09:46 AM
The statement that increased muscle mass somehow increases metabolism is fallacy, muscle at rest requires little energy only working muscles burn calories.

"Only working muscles burn calories." Word, well said.

I learned this from watching Ben Hur as a child. Later on, it was reinforced by 'Rikki Tikki Tavi'; in the movie narrated by Orson Wells, Rikki Tikki was given a banana for which he would not eat entirely for he knew, "I am a mongoose and must remain quick on my fit, not on a full stomach." This was not referenced in the book, but here, for your reading pleasure:

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~rgs/jngl-Tavi.html

Sandy
11-16-2007, 09:50 AM
Strange tht I would make suggestions for losing weight. I weighed 240 at one time last year and started a real diet at 225 at the end of June. I got down to 190 with a goal of 185 approximately. I went to 192.5. I now weigh 190 again and am headed to 185. My thoughts-

1. Making up your mind to do it is overwhemingly the most important factor. If you REALLLY want to lose more weight and you REALY have made the commitment to do such, then being hungry wont bother you too much as the temptation to eat will not be as strong because of the commitment that you made. You will focus on something else and the hunger will pass.

2. Eat less carbs.

3. Exercise more.

4. Drink water ( I do not drink enough).

5. Stay away from the kitchen

6. Put what you are going to eat on your plate the first time and DO NOT go back for any more.

7. Weigh yourself regularly so you know precisely where you are relative to your goals. I have my official weigh in every Sunday morning and record my weight. I, unlike others,weigh myself every day. The more I often I weigh myself, the more I lose, but that is just tme.

Go back to what I said before- You must make up your mind to lose that additional weight. That is the key. How you do it varies from one person to another, some ways are more efficient and more healthy, but you must make the commitment to do it. Then it is easy. If you don't it will be hard or impossible.

In June of last year I got very angry and upset because of a bad personal cycling experience. That day, I decided to lose weight and it was very easy to lose 35 pounds- from 225 to 190- because I decided to do it. Once the decision was made, the rest was easy. When I got to 190 and looked and felt thinner, I was not so comitted to losing the 5 more to get to 185, so the last 5 pounds has been much much harder to do than the first 35. I made up my mind a few days ago to reach the 185 goal. I was 192.5. Now I am 190, and will try to reach 189 by this coming Sunday.

Sandy

Viper
11-16-2007, 09:57 AM
Strange tht I would make suggestions for losing weight. I weighed 240 at one time last year and started a real diet at 225 at the end of June. I got down to 190 with a goal of 185 approximately. I went to 192.5. I now weigh 190 again and am headed to 185. My thoughts-

1. Making up your mind to do it is overwhemingly the most important factor. If you REALLLY want to lose more weight and you REALY have made the commitment to do such, then being hungry wont bother you too much as the temptation to eat will not be as strong because of the commitment that you made. You will focus on something else and the hunger will pass.

2. Eat less carbs.

3. Exercise more.

4. Drink water ( I do not drink enough).

5. Stay away from the kitchen

6. Put what you are going to eat on your plate the first time and DO NOT go back for any more.

7. Weigh yourself regularly so you know precisely where you are relative to your goals. I have my official weigh in every Sunday morning and record my weight. I, unlike others,weigh myself every day. The more I often I weigh myself, the more with I lose, but that is jus tme.

Go back to what I said before- You must make up your mind to lose that additional weight. That is the key. How you do it varies from one person to another, some ways are more efficient and more healthy, but you must make the commitment to do it. Then it is easy. If you don't it will be hard or impossible.

In June of last year I got very angry and upset because of a bad persoanl cycling experience. That day, I decided to lose weight and it was very easy to lose 35 pounds- from 225 to 190- because I decided to do it. Once the decision was made, the rest was easy. When I got to 190 and looked and felt thinner, I was not so committed to losing the 5 more to get to 185, so the last 5 pounds has been much much harder to do than the first 35. I made up my mind a few days ago to reach the 185 goal. I was 192.5. Now I am 190, and will try to reach 189 by this coming Sunday.

Sandy

Did you watch Ben Hur or Rikki Tikki? Could help with the last 5-10lbs.

A
T
M
O

Tobias
11-16-2007, 10:18 AM
What do you really skinny cats do to get over the hunger? I train to appreciate hunger pangs. Each time I let myself go hungry for a while before eating it takes less food to satisfy my hunger – as if my stomach is shrinking in size. After a few cycles I end up eating less without trying.

I find the opposite is also true. If I gorge even once it then takes more food to satisfy me. Thanksgiving is a tough time due to the great-tasting food; it often starts an eating pattern that doesn't stop there.

J.Greene
11-16-2007, 10:23 AM
IThanksgiving is a tough time due to the great-tasting food; it often starts an eating pattern that doesn't stop there.

I don't really like thanksgiving food. The idea of making all that stuff and eating it for days makes me sick. I'll eat leftover pizza but that is about it for used food in my book.

JG

Flat Out
11-16-2007, 10:23 AM
Change the way you think about food. Don't make food the priority that it may be now. Try not too look forward to eating big "meals" at certain times, instead just eat when you are feeling hungry and really try to control your portions. Always try to leave some food on the plate when you're done.

Bittersweet
11-16-2007, 10:34 AM
I will admit that I use weight loss every year as a key part of my fitness regime. I often don't have the total miles in to be where I want to be. I really find low weight helps to make up for some of that and can be done at the desk as opposed to the bike. The recommendation to drink a lot of water really works I find. I drink as much as possible and very cold. If I don't enjoy it I will add a dash of juice to give it some flavor. (cheaper and easier than Propel etc) But don't add too much as juice = calories. I also like a very high fiber cereal as it seems to puff up and fill me in the morning. I find there is an awful lot of sugar in fruit so I try to fill up with vegetables. In the beginning at lunch I'll do a chef's salad. By the end, when I'm used to eating a lot less, I'm on just vegetables for lunch. I usually eat a very normal dinner but have overall reduced my daily calories way, way down. Remember to have that tall glass of water at the dinner table so you don't go back for thirds, fourths etc.

For snacks I like the puffed rice cakes. The seem to swell up and stop the hunger.

Men talking about this is quite gay-vague though and it is not something I'd divulge off a cycling forum.

HSG Racer
11-16-2007, 03:27 PM
1. Cut down on the carbs

2. Increase your intake of fiber

3. Drink lots of water

4. Weight training

If you do these four things diligently then you will lose the weight. IMO, it's not necessary to cut down the calories as long as you significantly reduce the carbs from your diet.

KeithS
11-16-2007, 05:30 PM
As a reforming (not reformed) fat guy. 325 at 40, 260 at 50, 210 at 51.

Things that work for me - portion control, that low carb thing works, the high protien thing works too, just only temporarily. Read Dr. Angatson - South Beach Diet, he makes sense. I try to balance calories and exercise. If you are going to over do something choose exercise. No magic bullet, no quick fixes. Lifestyle changes. Ride (get aerobic) an hour a day. Lots of (carbon) fiber and Titanium worked for me. The other kind of fiber works great too. Just be careful with fiber and the fake sugars that end in "ol" (like sorbitol), no one will ride on your wheel, if you get the drift of my wind.

Oh and the really fun one. No alchohol. The money I saved on that one alone bought my Serotta. The law of unintended consequences.

Fun facts to know and tell.

Good luck, it's really hard to do. You're doing well, hunger does suck, but the overall lifestyle changes become easy to enforce. It is cultural, super sizing, 1200 calorie salads, Krispy Kreme and those nice single serving containers. I still hate it, I have 20 left. Lots of watching Coach Troy on the trainer this winter and more self deprivation and I'll be wearing a speedo by March. And no I won't post any pictures. So quit asking....

Tobias
11-16-2007, 05:40 PM
I don't really like thanksgiving food. The idea of making all that stuff and eating it for days makes me sick. I'll eat leftover pizza but that is about it for used food in my book.

JG :confused:
Some foods taste better as leftovers.
BTW: Used food sounds like something you'd recycle out of the can.
I'll pass on that also.

ButtedMoron
11-16-2007, 08:24 PM
or this off season

do a 2-3 month heroin diet

get all junkie-buff

worked for Iggy Pop

you won't want to eat, you won't be able to poop, you won't want to shag, you won't want to ride but you will lose weight.

use acupuncture to help ya kick it

dragon chasin diet. do you think I can get a TV show?

J.Greene
11-16-2007, 08:30 PM
sweet!

JG

or this off season

do a 2-3 month heroin diet

get all junkie-buff

worked for Iggy Pop

you won't want to eat, you won't be able to poop, you won't want to shag, you won't want to ride but you will lose weight.

use acupuncture to help ya kick it

dragon chasin diet. do you think I can get a TV show?

taz-t
11-16-2007, 08:48 PM
JG

Did the Mac and Cheese at Beecher's today (followed by a pastry from Piroshky). Seriously good but that stuff is not going to help you (me) lose weight...

Now what's for dinner?

- taz

J.Greene
11-16-2007, 09:22 PM
JG

Did the Mac and Cheese at Beecher's today (followed by a pastry from Piroshky). Seriously good but that stuff is not going to help you (me) lose weight...

Now what's for dinner?

- taz

Back to the market and down the alley to the pink door. A great Italian place with a fun band. You'll feel like your in Italy. You won't see a sign but you'll know it when you see the door. Just walk down the steps and ask for a table near the bar and band. Tell them JG sent you.

JG

e-RICHIE
11-16-2007, 09:25 PM
i'm at the venue hotel and just had take out from
the diner. 'just had take-out food in the room. my
wife aka the lovely deb and i partied on hamburgers,
fries, pickles, and all sortsa' diner food. and beer. i'm
ready to race. that happy meal prolly pushed me up
to 138lbs atmo.

Fixed
11-16-2007, 09:26 PM
jg it's cold here you riding in the a.m. ? i 'm doing my bayshore ride about 9am
cheers

DarrenCT
11-16-2007, 09:27 PM
i'm at the venue hotel and just had take out from
the diner. 'just had take-out food in the room. my
wife aka the lovely deb and i partied on hamburgers,
fries, pickles, and all sortsa' diner food. and beer. i'm
ready to race. that happy meal prolly pushed me up
to 138lbs atmo.

gotta love highspeed wifi or ethernet

good luck

d

Fixed
11-16-2007, 09:28 PM

good luck

d
+1

e-RICHIE
11-16-2007, 09:32 PM

good luck

d
it's weird feeling stuffed and fat at 138lbs.
jon try to channel that feeling atmo.

J.Greene
11-16-2007, 09:34 PM
jg it's cold here you riding in the a.m. ? i 'm doing my bayshore ride about 9am
cheers

I'm riding. I'm just gonna turn the legs over and burn some cal to prepare for Sun.

JG

J.Greene
11-16-2007, 09:35 PM

will do boss

JG

pale scotsman
11-16-2007, 09:44 PM
Ancient scottish wisdom says only chicks starve themselves. Eat right and exercise and it'll come off.

e-RICHIE
11-16-2007, 09:46 PM
Ancient scottish wisdom says only chicks starve themselves. Eat right and exercise and it'll come off.
jon and i are chicks atmo. too much ovum. being
skinny and having great tan lines matters iirc.

J.Greene
11-16-2007, 09:52 PM
JG

KeithS
11-16-2007, 10:25 PM
I think I have shoes that weigh more than that...

shinomaster
11-16-2007, 11:25 PM
Just make like a Roman and puke up your dinner. :)

Der_Kruscher
11-16-2007, 11:45 PM
Quit your job to work retail. You'll be on your feet all day and won't have enough money to afford food...it's worked for me :-) Actually, that and a bowl of fruit, yogurt and granola for breakfast every morning helped me lose the 15 extra lbs I was carrying around.

shinomaster
11-16-2007, 11:55 PM
I work retail and I eat like a pig. I am skinny however...must be all the running around.

taz-t
11-17-2007, 01:13 AM
Back to the market and down the alley to the pink door. A great Italian place with a fun band. You'll feel like your in Italy. You won't see a sign but you'll know it when you see the door. Just walk down the steps and ask for a table near the bar and band. Tell them JG sent you.

JG

okay - i understand the problem now. If you eat at places like this, you're not COMMITTED to the Kate Moss look.

Ricotta spinach ravioli in a sage butter sauce with a nice half bottle of Montepulciano. Tuscan Apple Beauty for dessert. Skipping the antipasta was my concession to keeping this Coco Channel figure.

Thanks for the 411 - I told them JG sent me but I still had to wait half an hour for a table.

Remember: Black is slimming

- taz

J.Greene
11-17-2007, 05:56 AM
okay - i understand the problem now. If you eat at places like this, you're not COMMITTED to the Kate Moss look.

Ricotta spinach ravioli in a sage butter sauce with a nice half bottle of Montepulciano. Tuscan Apple Beauty for dessert. Skipping the antipasta was my concession to keeping this Coco Channel figure.

Thanks for the 411 - I told them JG sent me but I still had to wait half an hour for a table.

Remember: Black is slimming

- taz

I'm glad it worked out. I like that place. Now give Salumi a try.

JG

Climb01742
11-17-2007, 05:58 AM
not all carbs are bad. hence:

campy=bread, pasta, donuts
shimano=brown rice, sweet potatoes, apples

endurance athletes can't ride well on no carbs. just ain't possible. the simple equation is:

processed=bad
unprocessed=good

eat your food in the freshest, most natural, unprocessed state possible. veggies, fruit, lean protein, brown rice and no added sugar. but the truest equation is:

losing weight=hard
gaining weight=easy

Andreas
11-17-2007, 06:12 AM

I remember weighing 138lbs from last February. As the roads become icy I will get up there again - usually gain 5 lbs over the winter, maxing in Feb (I'm 5'10).
Usually struggle to keep weight on and eat stuff to not loose more.

Overall, it's not that complicated: :crap:
Burn more than you eat, you will loose weight.
Burn less than you eat, you will gain weight.
Does not matter what your mix of food is.

If you talk about other effects, e.g. fitness, cancer, atherosclerosis than the mix matters.

Ok, temp is up to 20F now, going out for a ride. :D

Andreas

Kevan
11-17-2007, 06:26 AM
don't watch tv.

Oh, and keep riding your bike.

Andreas
11-17-2007, 06:26 AM
not all carbs are bad. hence:
[snip]

processed=bad
unprocessed=good

eat your food in the freshest, most natural, unprocessed state possible. veggies, fruit, lean protein, brown rice and no added sugar.

[snip]

Word.
In addition, avoid all animal products as much as you can.

Resolving the Coronary Artery Disease Epidemic through Plant-Based Nutrition
Caldwell B. Esselstyn, Jr., MD
From the Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, Ohio
Preventive Cardiology 2001; 4: 171-177

rphetteplace
11-17-2007, 12:04 PM

I remember weighing 138lbs. I think it was the second grade.

ps. I almost got in a fight with Henry Rollins once.

malcolm
11-17-2007, 03:50 PM
Andreas reasearch the history of athersclerotic disease. The lowest incidence in our country was at a time when animal products and butter were routinely eaten. Also remember that the AMA and american heart association are very powerful institutions and it is difficult to publish anything contrary to their beliefs. I think Dr. Debakey said something to the effect of if cholesterol is so important I sure seem to operate on alot of people with normal cholesterol. I think manufactured foods (trans fats, etc) are a far bigger risk factor than meat or naturally occuring fats. The majority of western peoples claories comes from a box or is produced in a factory and there in lies your problem. Compare the rise in hear disease to the increase in refined sugar and flour and manufactured fat like products and you'll see what apears to be a trend. That and the food pyramid that was taught like gospel and based on nothing and you have the current state of western health and obesity. I wouldn't advocate a stick of butter and a rib eye for every meal, but lean meats and naturally occuring fats don't deserve the rap they get. Climb basically has it right if it takes a machine to make it or if it comes sealed in plastic inside a box don't eat it.

Ray
11-17-2007, 05:05 PM
...I eat reasonably, I ride as much as I can, I stay otherwise active. I'm built to be a little sturdier than the typical pro bike racer. And I weigh what I should weigh.

I remember being 155 in high school, but got up to 165 to play football, was 160 as a young adult (as seen in http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=416777&postcount=38), and spent most of my adulthood in the 160-165 range. Over the past ten years, I've crept up to the 170-175 range. Can't seem to stop it and still enjoy eating. I eat more often than I ride so its important to enjoy that too. Food is food - it's not JUST fuel and medicine. I love good food - I don't plan to give it up for a 1-2 mph increase in my average speed on the local B rides.

So I weigh what I should weigh and I try to shave weight from my bikes :cool:

-Ray

stevep
11-17-2007, 06:43 PM
...I eat reasonably, I ride as much as I can, I stay otherwise active. I'm built to be a little sturdier than the typical pro bike racer. And I weigh what I should weigh.

I remember being 155 in high school, but got up to 165 to play football, was 160 as a young adult (as seen in http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=416777&postcount=38), and spent most of my adulthood in the 160-165 range. Over the past ten years, I've crept up to the 170-175 range. Can't seem to stop it and still enjoy eating. I eat more often than I ride so its important to enjoy that too. Food is food - it's not JUST fuel and medicine. I love good food - I don't plan to give it up for a 1-2 mph increase in my average speed on the local B rides.

So I weigh what I should weigh and I try to shave weight from my bikes :cool:

-Ray

ray,
you got it figured out.
s

J.Greene
11-17-2007, 06:46 PM
I'm hiding in the office. The family just made huge "made to measure" chocolate chip cookies and are now puting ice creme between them and having sandwiches. This is tough.

JG

e-RICHIE
11-17-2007, 07:01 PM
I'm hiding in the office. The family just made huge "made to measure" chocolate chip cookies and are now puting ice creme between them and having sandwiches. This is tough.

JG
fat tan lines are ugly atmo.

J.Greene
11-17-2007, 07:17 PM
fat tan lines are ugly atmo.

I'm being relentless

JG

DarrenCT
11-17-2007, 07:19 PM
fyi,

http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/331/jjweek8eb0.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

DarrenCT
11-17-2007, 07:20 PM
thats a pretty big "spare tire" if u ask moi

-d

J.Greene
11-17-2007, 07:29 PM
thats a pretty big "spare tire" if u ask moi

-d

Is that you? Do you want some beads for that shot?

JG

Ted
11-17-2007, 08:51 PM
Noone ever admits that this is good, but eat once a day. Eat as much as you can stand, then wait until supper tomorrow. If you are going to take a significant ride eat a few fig bars or a PB+J. That will be enough to fuel the engine. Look at the large animal meat eaters (not plant eaters). They eat once a week until they can no longer breathe, wait three days before getting up, then are lucky enough to find another kill in three or four days, and start the cycle over again. Your stomach stretches and your liver store glycogen. You don't need to eat all the time.

If you are working and busy all day you will not have time to eat. Hunger pangs will dissipate in about 15 minutes then you are fine for the rest of the day. In fact if you miss supper you can go pretty easily two or three days without eating. Your stomach makes a hormone (grelen?) that stimulates hunger. It is released by eating. This idea of eating all day long keeps your stomach full all the time and never allows you to burn fat. Learn to live on ketones.

Ted

Ted
11-17-2007, 08:53 PM
Three meals a day is a social structure; it has nothing to do with physiology.

Ted.

Fixed
11-17-2007, 09:20 PM
jg meet jc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boXa8c6OuRQ

mikki
11-17-2007, 10:10 PM
Men talking about this is quite gay-vague though and it is not something I'd divulge off a cycling forum.

Too funny!! Does a woman's heart good to read about losing weight from guys!! (got some good tips, too)