PDA

View Full Version : Drivetrain Q - 10sp der vs 9

Dekonick
07-24-2004, 12:03 PM
ok - this is actually a stupid question - and I think I know the answer but Ill ask the experts:

Can you use a 10sp campy rear der with 9sp drivetrain? (my guess is yes, that all you need to do is set the der limits so it wont shift past 9-)

Is it preferable to use a campy 10 sp der with 9 sp? (again - think I know that its just fineeither way but the 10 der allows more compatibility)

What about 10 sp ergo levers with 10 sp rear der and 9 sp casette? (again setting limits on der. travel?)

Only reason I am asking is I am dumping my shimano stuff for campy on a spare bike - and I want to be able to mix and match wheels w/o too much work. I also believe that its possible to use shimano hubs with shimano 9sp casette using ergo 10 and 10 sp rear der - is this correct? (E-Richie alluded it would work just fine, I am certain it will but how do I set it up? Do you need spacers or is the casette spacing close enough to just fiddle with cable tension?)

Any info is appreciated! (it would be nice to run all record 10 ti on everything but there is a ceiling to the budget... and I am always pushing it LOL!)

Learning to wrench and finding tinkering is alot of fun! :banana:

Dekonick
07-24-2004, 12:09 PM
Doh! :crap: - I should also add that I have a mix of wheels and casette's - rear wheels are: shimano ultegra 600 8sp (i didnt check - but I think a 9 casette will fit this hub...will it?) , several campy 9/10 hubs with 9 sp campy casette's, and one set of campy 8sp with 8 sp casette...

Any advice is appreciated!

JohnS
07-24-2004, 12:10 PM
I don't believe you can use 10sp brifters with a 9sp cassette. The spacings would be wrong. You'd have to change the internal ratchets or whatever. The limit screws have nothing to do with it.

Dekonick
07-24-2004, 01:26 PM
I was reading on a few sites that the difference between cogs is so small that it works just fine as long as you use a 9sp chain - and set the limit

Supposedly alot do this for cyclocross cuz that way they can use any wheel if they flat - (Even E-Richie said he does this for his cross bike - but I dont know if he uses 9 sp Ergo's or 10)

Again - thats why I am asking the question. If I need to I can go to bradford bike and get the cam's to change levers from 9 to 10 or vice versa, but I am a little leary of doing that. (checking out the diagram it looks like if I take em apart I may never get em back together! It would be an interesting experience to say the least...)

Being that I am over budget by quite alot this year (and I keep getting reminded about it... oh well.....) I was hoping to be able to use all of my wheelsets if I converted to all campy drivetrain 'ponents on my road bikes.

Thanks for the continued advice! - its amazing how much technical knowledge there is on this forum... I am always learning! :banana:

bubba
07-24-2004, 01:54 PM
I was reading on a few sites that the difference between cogs is so small that it works just fine as long as you use a 9sp chain - and set the limit

Campy 9 cog spacing is 4.55mm and 10 is 4.12mm. You can usulaly get away with a .2mm difference,but the real ARs won't buy it.