PDA

View Full Version : Opinions needed on Basso Loto frameset

sokyroadie
11-15-2007, 05:37 PM
I have been looking for a reasonably priced lugged steel frame and found a 1995 Basso Loto NOS in Denmark that I can get for $400.00 shipped. It is Dedacciai 18MCDV6 tubing (zero I think) the frame weighs slightly under 1800g. It has 130mm rear spacing and is in perfect shape. Any opinions?

markie
11-15-2007, 06:04 PM
Sounds about right,

here is something different, but similar, probably nicer:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=35850

What kinda frame can you get for $400 new.... Actually a surly or a soma wouldn't be bad, but not that cool.

sokyroadie
11-15-2007, 06:11 PM
Sounds about right,

here is something different, but similar, probably nicer:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=35850

What kinda frame can you get for $400 new.... Actually a surly or a soma wouldn't be bad, but not that cool.

I saw that frame, but I am not the Jolly Green Giant - WAY too big. The Basso is 51 cm c-c.

Jeff

markie
11-15-2007, 06:18 PM
Well to keep the conversation to the top.....

I am reluctant buying from abroad. Large shiping charges and long waits put me off.

Fixed
11-15-2007, 06:31 PM
bro get it but be nice to it ..it might get homesick
cheers

Danish authors ?

maunahaole
11-15-2007, 06:44 PM
cool looking frame. see how much it will be to ship and how long it will take. probably not as bad as you think to ship, as long as you dont need it overnight.

michael white
11-15-2007, 07:27 PM
I had a Basso and it was just fine. as long as you get along with the paint, I predict you'll enjoy it.

SWorks4me
11-15-2007, 07:41 PM
I had a Basso and it was just fine. as long as you get along with the paint, I predict you'll enjoy it.

+1

sokyroadie
11-15-2007, 07:59 PM
cool looking frame. see how much it will be to ship and how long it will take. probably not as bad as you think to ship, as long as you dont need it overnight.

The $400.00 is a delivered price (shipping is about $70.00 of that) transit time is supposed to be around 2 weeks.

Jeff

Peter P.
11-15-2007, 08:04 PM
Basso has been around for decades and was popular in the domestic racing scene in the 80's. The decal style has certainly changed.

I'm not familiar with the tubing, but if you can confirm it's a quality Cro-mo tubing equivalent to Columbus SL or Zona, you won't go wrong.

maunahaole
11-15-2007, 08:19 PM
click here (http://www.bringheli.com/dedacciai.html) for some info on the tubesets.

BumbleBeeDave
11-15-2007, 08:36 PM
. . . loads of personality. If you can be sure there's nothing structurally wrong, then go for it!

Of course, depending on where you are riding it, you might need to paint "Not Ivan" in front of the Basso name lest people throw things at you.

BBD

Fixed
11-15-2007, 08:41 PM
Marino Basso won the
World Championship
Bicycle Road Race
at Gap, France in 1972
cheers :beer:

justinf
11-15-2007, 08:54 PM
I'd be looking for a steel Serotta personally, they are out there.

sokyroadie
11-15-2007, 09:07 PM
I'd be looking for a steel Serotta personally, they are out there.

I have a CDA so I have that base covered :D

Jeff

Fixed
11-15-2007, 09:22 PM
the basso would make a great fix imho
cheers

jemoryl
11-15-2007, 10:28 PM
Looks like a good frame for the money. I bought a NOS Basso Viper (built circa 2000, one step above the Loto at that time) from someone in the UK for around $600 total at that time. The guy sent it by some kind of courier service and it arrived in 3 days! Mine is listed as having a 'Basso Custom Tubeset' but a little probing revealed that this is OS Deda Zero, aka SAT 14.5 (where did they get these designations?). I think the main difference is the Loto is fully lugged and the Viper is filet brazed except for the BB. Good bikes and not everyone has one (for some reason we got a more of the lower end Gap models here in the US).

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m318/jemoryl/FullBike.jpg

Sandy
11-15-2007, 11:04 PM
Looks like a good frame for the money. I bought a NOS Basso Viper (built circa 2000, one step above the Loto at that time) from someone in the UK for around $600 total at that time. The guy sent it by some kind of courier service and it arrived in 3 days! Mine is listed as having a 'Basso Custom Tubeset' but a little probing revealed that this is OS Deda Zero, aka SAT 14.5 (where did they get these designations?). I think the main difference is the Loto is fully lugged and the Viper is filet brazed except for the BB. Good bikes and not everyone has one (for some reason we got a more of the lower end Gap models here in the US).

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m318/jemoryl/FullBike.jpg

I really like the look of your bike. Love the blue. It looks great with the black tires, stem, seatpost, rims, saddle, handlebar, tape,....

Sandy

Steve Hampsten
11-15-2007, 11:52 PM
Can I just say that when I worked at Yellow Jersey in Madison, WI, "Basso" was always referred to as "Bass-o-matic", as in the SNL skit of the same name?

(Think: fish in a blender on frappe)

Maybe you had to be there...

DarrenCT
11-16-2007, 03:12 AM
The $400.00 is a delivered price (shipping is about $70.00 of that) transit time is supposed to be around 2 weeks.

Jeff

do u get a tracking #??

jemoryl
11-16-2007, 06:33 AM
I really like the look of your bike. Love the blue. It looks great with the black tires, stem, seatpost, rims, saddle, handlebar, tape,....

Sandy

Thanks. I get a lot of complements on the color. The paint is nicely applied for an Italian bike, too. Only drawback is that younger people tend to think that it has something to do with Ivan Basso.

Joe

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m318/jemoryl/brazing.jpg

BumbleBeeDave
11-16-2007, 06:40 AM
Can I just say that when I worked at Yellow Jersey in Madison, WI, "Basso" was always referred to as "Bass-o-matic", as in the SNL skit of the same name?

(Think: fish in a blender on frappe)

Maybe you had to be there...

. . . MY BASS-O-MATIC!

One of the all-time classics. And from all I could tell, Newman actually DID drink it! Ick!

BBD

Fat Robert
11-16-2007, 06:44 AM
you can get a giordana (designed by dario, built by billato) from gita for the same scratch.

contact zar -- they have lots of lugged de bernardis that are no worse than that basso, for the same scratch.

R&A in NY has a ton of lugged stuff on theuir website that's about the same as that basso, too....

i'd say get the giodana from gita...there are other places around with NOS lugged stuff...no need to go through some dude in europe.

sokyroadie
11-16-2007, 06:45 AM
[QUOTE=jemoryl]Mine is listed as having a 'Basso Custom Tubeset' but a little probing revealed that this is OS Deda Zero, aka SAT 14.5 (where did they get these designations?). I think the main difference is the Loto is fully lugged and the Viper is filet brazed except for the BB. Good bikes and not everyone has one (for some reason we got a more of the lower end Gap models here in the US).

jemoryl,

The tubing decal say's extra light 18MCDV6 ( I had a typo on the original post) which is Zero Uno - which is the same as COM 12.5 - which is the same as SAT 14.5 except not heat treated.

That is a great looking bike that you have. I am going to order the LOTO.

Thanks for all the reply's.

Jeff

jemoryl
11-16-2007, 08:24 AM
[QUOTE=jemoryl]Mine is listed as having a 'Basso Custom Tubeset' but a little probing revealed that this is OS Deda Zero, aka SAT 14.5 (where did they get these designations?). I think the main difference is the Loto is fully lugged and the Viper is filet brazed except for the BB. Good bikes and not everyone has one (for some reason we got a more of the lower end Gap models here in the US).

jemoryl,

The tubing decal say's extra light 18MCDV6 ( I had a typo on the original post) which is Zero Uno - which is the same as COM 12.5 - which is the same as SAT 14.5 except not heat treated.

That is a great looking bike that you have. I am going to order the LOTO.

Thanks for all the reply's.

Jeff

Interesting paint scheme on that Loto - good luck with your purchase. Basso told me that my Viper is 18MCDV6 H.T. so I guess they used the non-heat treated version on the Loto. Sometimes they mix tubesets, so I guess that is why the bikes are often labeled 'Basso Tubing Concept' or some such.

Ken Robb
11-16-2007, 09:58 AM
ATMO lugged bikes look best with solid color tubes and contrasting lugs.

PK9
11-16-2007, 09:07 PM
I had a Basso Loto I bought in 1990 and raced the crap out of for a couple of years. It was made of Columbus SLX/SPX tubing, was stiff and quick handling.

The paint job I had was black, magenta and white with chrome forks and right chain stay.

A nice bicycle -- though it did have a bit of a high-speed wobble above 50 mph.