PDA

View Full Version : OT: Cellphone cameras, what to look for...

Kevan
11-15-2007, 11:37 AM
Okay, my very old cellphone is near its last legs so I'm thinking of getting an free upgrade phone that has a camera feature included. Actually, to complicate the situation some, I'm also thinking of getting a digital camera. As for the digi-camera, I've been going back and forth on a simple point-n-shoot or a slr variety, I've narrowed the makes and models so I'm content there. My quandry is, if I could get a phone that takes decent photos for my biking trips then I would more likely forego a point-n-shoot and instead buy the better slr camera for more serious photo taking. So what phones out there take the better photos?

Also, are there options as to how you can manage photos from a phone? Do they have to be sent through the phone system, presumably a $ charge, or can I simply attach a phone to my pc and download the shots that way?

Thanks.

saab2000
11-15-2007, 12:04 PM
Cellphone camerals are a joke. It is impossible to keep the lens clean and scratch free. That said, they are good for shooting something and sending it as part of a text message. Like at a drunken party. :rolleyes:

But they are no substitute for a real camera. Better off trying to get your carrier to provide you with a better phone with better voice or reception than a camera.

TMB
11-15-2007, 12:29 PM
Cellphone camerals are a joke. It is impossible to keep the lens clean and scratch free. That said, they are good for shooting something and sending it as part of a text message. Like at a drunken party. :rolleyes:

But they are no substitute for a real camera. Better off trying to get your carrier to provide you with a better phone with better voice or reception than a camera.

The issue of keeping the lens clean or unscratched is an issue.

That said Sony make a couple of nice phones with 3 and 5 MP cameras that take a real good picture, they are actually in the Cyber-shot family.

You can transfer the photos to your PC with Bluetooth ( what I do) or using a card reader.

ti_boi
11-16-2007, 09:26 AM
Look for a minimum of 1.3Mp and a removeable memory card....key is the card because you need extra memory in the camera to handle the pictures.....My Nokia watch-a-ma-call-it smart phone is pretty good....

Ken Robb
11-16-2007, 10:04 AM
before buying an SLR consider whether its extra bulk will cause you to leave it home too often. They can take wonderful pix and swapping lenses lets you be more "creative". I have a 5 year old Nilon Cool Pix that takes fine shots for me in most cases but sometimes I wish is had a quicker shutter release. Today I would buy a mid-price "range-finder" style with sufficient speed for minimal shutter delay. An SLR would stay home too often.