PDA

View Full Version : TruTrainer Update

Chris
11-15-2007, 09:54 AM
The guy at the loading dock just sent me an email. My rollers are down on the dock. I will be giving them the initial ride tonight. More to follow... :)

Too Tall
11-15-2007, 09:58 AM
And you have HD video at the ready no doubt ;)

Chris
11-16-2007, 08:19 PM
Okay, here goes. Got the rollers in. Brought em home and took them out of the box. Completely assembled. The only thing needed was to center the front hub over the front roller and then hop on.

These things are amazing from the get go. I can see how some people who have ridden rollers for years have a tendency to have more difficulty riding without hands initially. This is the one area where these take more work than regular rollers. I think this has to do, as others have opined, with how far the rear wheel sits down in the rollers. It is substantial.

The rollers are incredibly smooth and they are adequately quiet. The majority of the noise comes from the connection with the tire. Compared to my other set of rollers, I don't have to have the TV near as loud. They are also a joy to ride. I can tell immediately that these are going to add some real quality to my training this year. There are days where the weather is too nasty to get out, but you just can't stand one more day on a trainer riding a perfectly still bike. These eliminate this and allow you to get a solid work out. I ran through all of the gears. The 39x23 is fine for an easy recovery ride (I didn't get the release, per the advise of Ross at TruTrainer) and the 53x12 will probably never be used due to the amount of resistance it creates.

I have now ridden both the TruTrainer rollers and the Inside Ride. You can stand up on the bike on both. I think that you can do much higher cadence full out sprinting on the Inside Ride rollers. The back and forth motion just seems to give you a little more stability in this area. Mind you, I have only ridden the TruTrainers for an hour, but there is a noticeable difference. I am personally very happy that I went with the TruTrainer rollers. They are much more simple. Not nearly as cumbersome nor are there as many moving parts. I like that about them. They are heavy, but more easily moved around compared to the Inside Ride rollers.

Lots of what I have said has been covered elsewhere on other threads. Some of the stuff I haven't as well. If I've left out anything that you want to know, please ask. Basically, two very enthusiastic thumbs up for me.

Peter P.
11-16-2007, 08:43 PM
Yeah; you're right about the cadence difference between the TruTrainer and the E-motions. I have not ridden the latter, but I watched the video on the web site.

But hey, are you really missing out if you can't do all-out sprints on your rollers? No. The TruTrainers allow you to get out of the saddle EASILY, just to relieve some crotch discomfort, with missing a beat. And the resistance is good enough to build some power, even if you want to practice acclerations.

And you're right; The TruTrainer is much simpler in construction. With fewer parts there's less to break/wear out, and their contours make them easy and quick to wipe down.

Too Tall
11-17-2007, 05:26 AM
Most excellent :) Appreciate the quality feedback.