PDA

View Full Version : When do you replace your rear tire?

Avispa
11-14-2007, 02:07 PM
On one of my bikes, the rear tire is no longer "round" at the top. It looks, like the shape of a bullet now. The small threads have disappeared, I don't see the sub-layers, however. This is a Continental GP Force, with no TWI (thread wear indicators).

How often or when do think it's time to change your rear tires? Do you run them to the ground or you play it safe and change them when they lose their original form as my description, above...

..A..

BumbleBeeDave
11-14-2007, 02:12 PM
. . . I usually replace mine when the contact area gets flattened. I've also heard it described as "squared off." Not sure what you mean by "bullet shaped."

There's no mileage threshhold--I just replace it when it gets squared off enough that it makes me nervous or if I start having lots of flats. I use Vittoria Open corsa CX's and usually get 3000-3500 miles out of a rear tire.

BBD

Kevan
11-14-2007, 02:17 PM
in threes. That-a-way you'll get 2 years or better out of'm.

duke
11-14-2007, 02:21 PM
I just replaced mine about an hour ago when I ran over some glass and cut it bead to bead.......
duke

Fixed
11-14-2007, 02:40 PM
flat top goes to front for me but i'm cheap bro
cheers imho

Cary Ford
11-14-2007, 02:45 PM
when I can see through it

Pete Serotta
11-14-2007, 02:52 PM
when I start to see threads then I replace (or at the beginning of the season, if very flat in the middle). Nothing like the sound and feel of new CXs

vaxn8r
11-14-2007, 03:48 PM
when I start to see threads then I replace (or at the beginning of the season, if very flat in the middle). Nothing like the sound and feel of new CXs
Dang you guys are brave. When you see threads showing? Every 3,500 miles? 2 years?

I'm not trusting my life to old worn out rubber. I get about 9 months or so, not sure how many miles but I'm guessing about 1,200-1,500 per rear tire (I rdie 5 different bikes). I used to wait until I started getting flats but when a tire starts to square off it doesn't corner as well. Front tires sometimes get replaced based on feel more than wear. Rubber dries out after a certain period even if the tire looks OK. New tires make your bike ride and handle like new.

shinomaster
11-14-2007, 03:50 PM
Mine never last long enough for the tread to wear. They die from cuts.

Ozz
11-14-2007, 03:51 PM
Mine never last long enough for the tread to wear. They die from cuts.
+1 or every spring whether they need it or not.

dvs cycles
11-14-2007, 03:57 PM
I replace mine when the wear dots on the GP-4000's are almost gone.
I've disected them and there is still some tread left but better to do this at home than have to mess with a flat on the road just to save a little $. :D

regularguy412
11-14-2007, 04:06 PM
I used to use the 'flat top' method to determine when to change tires. However with the tires I've been using lately, the center is a different compound and already in sort of a 'flattened' state. I haven't noticed any cornering issues with these tires, but it does make it more difficult to know when the tread is getting thin. I recently ran one rear tire down to the cord ( in one spot ) without intending to. This caused a blow-out when crossing a railroad track. I think I'll just have to be a bit more vigilant.

Mike in AR

mike p
11-14-2007, 04:10 PM
When I was a kid I'd run them till you saw the cords and got flats every 5 minutes. Now a little older, a few more bucks in my pocket and a lot less patience for flats I change them after a season or so and use the old ones on the trainner.

Mike

Avispa
11-14-2007, 04:23 PM
Not sure I understand you . . .I've also heard it described as "squared off." Not sure what you mean by "bullet shaped."

There's no mileage threshold--I just replace it when it gets squared off enough that it makes me nervous or if I start having lots of flats. I use Vittoria Open corsa CX's and usually get 3000-3500 miles out of a rear tire.

I guess the term is "squared off" or "flat-top" as you guys say. I am not getting any flat tires; this is what I meant by bullet shaped:

Matt Barkley
11-14-2007, 04:55 PM
After 2nd flat. :beer:

Where is Boston Drunk?

Ken Robb
11-14-2007, 06:12 PM
I guess the term is "squared off" or "flat-top" as you guys say. I am not getting any flat tires; this is what I meant by bullet shaped:

Round nose on the left--flat point on the right. Both are "bullet-shaped".

When my tires start to square off I dump them because that's when the frequency of flats goes up and handling feel goes down. If I think about it in time I switch front to rear before the rear obviously starts to square off and I get a bit more wear from a set that way. I hate the feel of a squared off front even more than one on the rear. Of course Fixed probably doesn't have to worry about 40mph descents in Florida. :banana:

gdw
11-14-2007, 06:25 PM
I change em when they start looking like wadcutters. ;)

DarrenCT
11-14-2007, 07:42 PM
when i get passed by some old fat guy i usually change them.

saab2000
11-14-2007, 07:50 PM
When the chords are showing in several places. Sometimes the casing starts to rupture first and gets a big lump.

Sucks when that happens.

Peter P.
11-14-2007, 08:05 PM
I replace mine when I can see the cords through the rubber. Sometimes it's too late.

True story: I'm dog sitting about 15 miles from the start of a personal TT course. I decide to ride to the course and do the TT (20 mi.) on a Saturday morning. I'm a couple hundred yards from the start and POW! my rear tire blows.

Okay; I'll just put a new tube in and do the TT.

I don't think so- The tire's worn down to the casing in about 6 places, and the hole that the tube blew through is about 3mm wide. I bag the idea of the TT and decide to head back. I replace the tube and boot the hole with a folded dollar bill.

I adjust my plans; there's a bike shop on the route about 5 miles away that should be open by the time I arrive. I'll head there and buy a new tire.

I get about 3 miles and the tube blows a hole through the dollar bill.

I replace the tube AGAIN and boot the hole with TWO folded dollar bills.

I get to the bike shop and discover they don't open for 45 minutes.

This hombre ain't waitin'. I tippy-toe in the small ring the remaining 10 miles back.

I make it, but neither dollar bill does.

Amazing, how a tire can go from looking fine to nekkid in only 15 miles.

dekindy
11-14-2007, 08:07 PM
Continentals have two holes that are wear indicators. When the holes disappear the tire gets replaced.

mflaherty37
11-14-2007, 10:10 PM
I use EVO CX. I get like 3 months and the rubber flakes off the rear tire. Prolly just due to my awesome power.

bironi
11-14-2007, 10:15 PM
or when I actually take a close look at them, which is usually as I am tending to a flat. :beer:

toaster
11-15-2007, 02:18 AM
Front keeps a rounded profile, rear flattens off with a slight bevel due to the crown of the road.

Combine that wear with the thinning of the tread that is apparent by looking closely at it or feeling with your fingers combined with the extent of cuts or other defects determines the end of that particular tire.

When in doubt, throw it out. I don't rotate.

Avispa
11-15-2007, 08:12 AM
Continentals have two holes that are wear indicators. When the holes disappear the tire gets replaced.

Not all Continentals have this, especially the older ones, from early '06 and before.

Conti came with this TWI after the GP4000 with Vectran were released in late 2006. Not sure if the current Attack/Force or the Supersonics have the TWI.

..A..

dvs cycles
11-15-2007, 09:35 AM
Not all Continentals have this, especially the older ones, from early '06 and before.

Conti came with this TWI after the GP4000 with Vectran were released in late 2006. Not sure if the current Attack/Force or the Supersonics have the TWI.

..A..
Actually the TWI appeared WITH the GP-4000. The only other Conti's I have are the Gatorskins on the tandem and they do not have them. It's a very useful feature I like and wish all MFG's would do something this simple.

PaulE
11-15-2007, 10:17 AM
I was wondering what those random crater replicas in the tread were.

TimD
11-15-2007, 12:02 PM
I seem to get about 2500 miles out of a 23mm Michelin Pro Race when mounted on the rear. Sizeable cuts develop and they start to flat frequently due to crap getting through the holes and piercing the tube.

The rear on my Marcelo went last week, so I changed it out for a new Pro Race. Another cool thing about the Marcelo is that you can really feel a new rear tire - the ride quality is definitely better.

Tim