PDA

View Full Version : Am I Killing My Shorts?

Kahuna
11-14-2007, 01:27 PM
Curious how many folks hand wash their cycling shorts as opposed to tossing them in the macine? I do the latter and I'm worried the washer (i.e., agitator), or the clear liquid detergent, or both are destroying my shorts even though I use the "ultra delicate" cycle.

Doesn't matter which brand of shorts either. After a couple of months it seems the lycra gets thin in spots to the point where you can actually "see-though" the fabric. They also stretch out quite a bit and I'm not sure if this is because of normal wear when riding, or from washing.

I've been using the washing machine method for years and it's not because I'm lazy, just strapped for time. However, if hand washing is going to make a difference, I suppose I'll make the switch. After all, cycling shorts aren't cheap.

Any thoughts, or advice?

-K

Blue Jays
11-14-2007, 01:33 PM
Hi Kahuna...my own technique has been to use a front-loading washer and still use the gentle cycle. I must say, that kind of washer does a remarkable job of cleaning fabric while simultaneously reducing the wear and tear.
If my choice was to use an agitator-type, top-loading washer I would probably opt to wash the cycling shorts in the sink by hand and hang to dry.

markie
11-14-2007, 01:35 PM
Top-loader for me. Hot wash.

Does not seem to do any harm. Life is to short to spend scrubbing gussets.

SadieKate
11-14-2007, 01:36 PM
How do you dry them?

I've used a top load washing machine on my shorts for decades now with no problem (cold water only and delicate). However, everything gets drip-dried.

Ozz
11-14-2007, 01:37 PM
Top loader....gentle cycle...cold water....woolite.....they seem to be clean and no harm done.

Drip dry....

Pete Serotta
11-14-2007, 01:37 PM
gentle and cold water has worked for me many years..... with no problem

Hi Kahuna...my own technique has been to use a front-loading washer and still use the gentle cycle. I must say, that kind of washer does a remarkable job of cleaning fabric while simultaneously reducing the wear and tear.
If my choice was to use an agitator-type, top-loading washer I would probably opt to wash the cycling shorts in the sink by hand and hang to dry.

Blue Jays
11-14-2007, 01:39 PM
I've never dried my bibs by machine, so I have no idea what that would do to the fabric or the chamois. Comments from those who have tried?

markie
11-14-2007, 01:42 PM
I drip dry, too.

thejen12
11-14-2007, 01:42 PM
I throw my shorts in my 17 year-old top loader and wash with cold water on the "knit" cycle (it's like "delicate" but runs longer). Been doing this forever and my shorts last for years. I even dry them in the dryer in the winter when we don't get enough sun to dry them out on the line.

I use cheap shorts (mostly Performance brand) for commuting, and save my nicer shorts (mostly Terry brand) for long rides. Even the commuters last for years. I ride 4-5000 miles per year and have about 7 pairs of shorts - 4 commuters and 3 nice ones. The Performance shorts get worn and washed the most, and I think they are about 4 years old now and still going strong.

Hope that helps,

Jenn

Kevan
11-14-2007, 01:44 PM
getting about 2 year out of 2 shorts (I'll squeeze a 3rd year wearing them under tights). Too many hands are involved doing the laundry so its more likely than not that they go through both the top load and the electric dryer. Though when I'm at the helm, I'll usually spare them from the dryer.

Too Tall
11-14-2007, 01:44 PM
Warm / Cold no dryer geeze! I use an zippered delicates bag that really works well. Drip dry...did I say that?

swoop
11-14-2007, 01:54 PM
always wash them inside out and only with other shorts. no jersey zippers (when you wash jerseys make sure they're zipped up) and no velcro. hang dry..

Kahuna
11-14-2007, 01:56 PM
How do you dry them?

I forgot to mention, I'm drip drying them as well. I wonder if there's something about the semi-tropical air in Hawaii that might be exacerbating the problem.

Curious - nobody else sees their shorts getting thin patches in the fabric?

Thinking about it some more, I believe what's happening is the elastic fibers are breaking down while leaving the nylon intact. This has the effect of making the material "thin" since the elastic accounts for a large percentage of the garment. Also, when the integrity of the elastic is compromised, that would also account for the stretching out effect.

Bizarre.

Viper
11-14-2007, 01:56 PM
I'm lucky to get a few rides out of one pair of shorts; every time I finish a ride there are dozens of young ladies pawing at me, trying to rip my Giordanas from me.

It's tough out there.

I hand wash my shorts in the sink, what's left of them.

Ginger
11-14-2007, 01:58 PM
I've had some Performance shorts do just that, and some Garneau club shorts have done that too...

I don't know why. I treat them the same as my other shorts:
Washed in the washer Cold/Delicate with the rest of my delicates, drip dry.

Do you drip dry them outside in the sun? That could do it.

Acotts
11-14-2007, 02:01 PM
Washing shorts...i dont get it. :confused:

mcteague
11-14-2007, 02:03 PM
I got the idea from Assos of using a mesh bag to keep the bib straps from wrapping around the agitator. Always hang dry after washing, no issues at all.

Tim McTeague

Kahuna
11-14-2007, 02:07 PM
OK, here we go. With a little time on Google I found several reference that say chlorine is very bad on elastic. Well guess what, our source water is chlorinated to remove bacteria. We have Aquasana filters on our showers, but not the laundry machine. This may be the answer.

I've had some Performance shorts do just that, and some Garneau club shorts have done that too...

I don't know why. I treat them the same as my other shorts:
Washed in the washer Cold/Delicate with the rest of my delicates, drip dry.

Do you drip dry them outside in the sun? That could do it.

gdw
11-14-2007, 02:08 PM
Top loader, dryer, and they last for years.

maunahaole
11-14-2007, 02:08 PM
You should wash them in evian and dry them in the rarefied air at the summit of haleakala.

rnhood
11-14-2007, 02:09 PM
I have always thought it was the nylon that was stretching beyond recovery and, not so much the spandex. But, I could be wrong. I do know that my bathing suits (jammer type) made out of mostly polyester stretch much less over time than the suits out of nylon. Of course the polyester suits cost more too so, I don't know if it's a case of superior construction or, that polyester tends to suffer elongation less. I suspect its the later.

I think a gentle wash in a machine is Ok, as well as by hand (the way I do it). But, I would recommend a mild detergent like Ivory Snow, not Woolite.

Blue Jays
11-14-2007, 02:27 PM
"You should wash them in Evian and dry them in the rarefied air at the summit of Haleakala."Prince used a similar line with Appolonia Kotero in the movie Purple Rain (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Purple_Rain_(film)) twenty+ years ago. :D

maunahaole
11-14-2007, 02:34 PM
True that, but what I am suggesting has far less production value than that scene.

Pete Serotta
11-14-2007, 02:54 PM
This is the way I was taught and it works great with drip drying....

always wash them inside out and only with other shorts. no jersey zippers (when you wash jerseys make sure they're zipped up) and no velcro. hang dry..

davids
11-14-2007, 02:55 PM
Hmm.

I wash them with other "non-dry-ables" on a regular cold/cold cycle in our newfangled front-load washer. And then they drip-dry, although they hardly come out of the machine dripping wet.

I get years of wear out of them - the worn areas seem to owe more to the friction between the shorts and my saddle than to anything else. The machine isn't wearing them out, atmo.

Ozz
11-14-2007, 03:50 PM
...Curious - nobody else sees their shorts getting thin patches in the fabric? ....
I think that is from wearing them....not washing them. ;)

shinomaster
11-14-2007, 03:52 PM
Umm...I never use the gentle cycle, I just throw them in with my colored clothes. Kahuna, maybe you just ride too much?

Blue Jays
11-14-2007, 04:00 PM
Well, Kahuna does have the benefit of living in a paradise-on-earth for weather and year-round cycling! ;) :)

Blue Jays
11-14-2007, 04:01 PM
Another trick might just be to incorporate more pairs of bibs and/or shorts into the mix so the wear isn't as concentrated on fewer garments.

soulspinner
11-14-2007, 04:04 PM
I forgot to mention, I'm drip drying them as well. I wonder if there's something about the semi-tropical air in Hawaii that might be exacerbating the problem.

Curious - nobody else sees their shorts getting thin patches in the fabric?

Thinking about it some more, I believe what's happening is the elastic fibers are breaking down while leaving the nylon intact. This has the effect of making the material "thin" since the elastic accounts for a large percentage of the garment. Also, when the integrity of the elastic is compromised, that would also account for the stretching out effect.

Bizarre.

Mine too. Only the Volers though.

stevep
11-14-2007, 04:07 PM
regular wash,
hang to dry.
heave them into the trash when they get worn out.

life is simple.

Bud_E
11-14-2007, 04:15 PM
Machine wash cold. I always toss them in the drier ("cool" setting) for 20 minutes - never had a problem.