PDA

View Full Version : Odd question: color the yellow striped on my Michelin Carbons black?

dvancleve
11-14-2007, 10:41 AM
Howdy folks.

Have any of you tried to cover the colored side tread stripes on a tire? I have a pair of very low mileage, yellow striped tires that I would use on my red/white/black Merckx build if I could cover the stripes in some permanent non-hideous way. I wonder if a fresh black permanent marker would do it? Maybe that liquid permanent black shoe dye with the sponge applicator? Any thoughts?

Thanks, Doug

Blue Jays
11-14-2007, 10:51 AM
Not worth the hassle in my estimation. Toss 'em on and ride the bejesus out of 'em before replacing for next season. Or save them for another bike where yellow might make better sense.
Lastly, you could give them to a friend who rides who might have need for yellow Michelins as a friendly gift.

maunahaole
11-14-2007, 12:22 PM
Wear them out and then buy a new pair in another color.

Karin Kirk
11-14-2007, 12:25 PM
I can't imagine it would work. Whatever you put over the colored tread would wear off as the tread does.

Maybe BBDave needs more yellow/black things for his collection?

dvancleve
11-14-2007, 12:32 PM
But the yellow stripes are not really in an area with much contact to the ground. If they were in the main part of the tread I would agree. I will probably just sell the yellow stripes or save them for something else...

Thanks, Doug

Viper
11-14-2007, 12:34 PM
Wasn't this in a episode of 'The Brady Bunch' where one of the kids wanted to get rid of their freckles via the use of a lemon? Mom always said, don't play ball in the house.

Edit: Send Lance Armstrong a PM, he might want/use the tires.

dvs cycles
11-14-2007, 03:51 PM
Howdy folks.

Have any of you tried to cover the colored side tread stripes on a tire? I have a pair of very low mileage, yellow striped tires that I would use on my red/white/black Merckx build if I could cover the stripes in some permanent non-hideous way. I wonder if a fresh black permanent marker would do it? Maybe that liquid permanent black shoe dye with the sponge applicator? Any thoughts?

Thanks, Doug
Marker will work but will wear down and need redoing.
Won't look perfect but will disguise those hidious yellow stripes. :beer:

Blue Jays
11-14-2007, 04:11 PM
This thread is convincing me more and more to stick with black or gray tires! :D

Kevan
11-14-2007, 04:14 PM
This thread is convincing me more and more to stick with black or gray tires! :D

Took me five years to learn this lesson for the Calfee. Nev'uh again.

With this thread, I think I've read about everything you can and can't do to a bicycle and them parts.

swoop
11-14-2007, 05:33 PM
the simple answer is to wear a clear lens set of glasses but put a black stripe down the middle of them.

eddief
11-14-2007, 07:27 PM
tried an indelable (sp) stinky black marker. looked good and made me feel good too...until it wore off after a while. once was enough for that vanity issue. just rode em til the end and only put blackwalls on my bikes these days. allows not much variety, but then you can buy in bulk.

rwsaunders
11-14-2007, 08:19 PM
Blackwalls just wouldn't look good on this ride.

BumbleBeeDave
11-14-2007, 08:22 PM
I can't imagine it would work. Whatever you put over the colored tread would wear off as the tread does.

Maybe BBDave needs more yellow/black things for his collection?

He wants to--gulp!--obliterate yellow from his bike?!?!

He just obviously--sob!--must hate--sniffle!--AMERICA!

Oh my God. What is this country coming to? :no: :no: :no:

BBD

dawgie
11-15-2007, 09:24 AM
Unfortunately, I can answer your question. No. I bought some Axial Carbons with yellow stripes on sale cheap ($20). Figured I could cover the yellow strip with a black permanent market as I think the yellow is ugly. The marker ink wouldn't adhere completely to the yellow stripe, but wouldn't rub off either. So now I'm stuck with some black tires with grungy yellow stripes that look like they've got grease ground into them. Uglier than ever. Perhaps there is some kind of marker or dye that would cover the yellow stripes. If there is, I'd like to know.

palincss
11-15-2007, 10:42 AM
Perhaps there is some kind of marker or dye that would cover the yellow stripes. If there is, I'd like to know.

Black silicone adhesive sealant (aka "rubber goo") ?