PDA

View Full Version : campy bb question

chrisroph
11-14-2007, 10:24 AM
can i put a daytona ital bb into chorus eng cups and mount this combo on an english frame with a centaur compact crankset?

dvancleve
11-14-2007, 11:01 AM
I *think* Italian BBs are a couple mms wider than English, so it might be funky even if the cup swapping works. If that part isn't a deal breaker, the spindle should be the correct width.

Doug

chrisroph
11-14-2007, 12:15 PM
shells are wider (70mm v 68) but I'm not sure if the spindles are wider on the modern campy bbs.

d_douglas
11-14-2007, 02:30 PM
of swapping the cups on mine as well. I have done it with no problem on a BSA duraace BB that I changed to Italian, but Campy may be a different animal. I have popped the cups off of my Campy BB and don't see why it wouldn't work. The cups are just 2mm wider on ITA BBs, right?

DD

Dave
11-14-2007, 03:02 PM
The shell width does not change the spindle length. I've read postings that say Italian and English cups can be interchanged on Record or Chorus 102mm spindle BBs, but never read of trying to swap cups from a Record or Chorus BB to a lower level 111mm spindle BB.

I'd just try it, then measure the chainline. The tip of a tooth on the big ring should be 47-48mm from the center of the frame. Measure from the side of the seat tube, then add 1/2 the ST diameter.

I tried this once with an FSA ISIS BB and it didn't work. The spindle was 2mm off center.