PDA

View Full Version : OT Considering a trip to New Orleans

Lifelover
11-14-2007, 09:34 AM
I'm considering making a family spring break trip to visit New Orleans. It would be the last week of March (22nd-28th). We have family in Lafayette so the plan would most likely incude spending a few days there and than a few days in N.O.

We have never been there and I know almost nothing about the area.

It would be me, the wife and our boys (11 and 14 y/o). Our interest are history and outdoors/nature. I would also be very interested in touring some parts of the city that are still damaged bythe flooding.

Anybody have any recommendation on attractions, lodging, food or anything else?

I don't plan on getting any cycling in but would not be opposed to it if there were some "must ride" areas. My relatives on Lafayette and ride a little and most likely have a hybrid that I could make work.

Brendan Quirk
11-14-2007, 09:39 AM
Possibly the greatest restaurant in the history of mankind:

http://www.lacrepenanou.com/

Yes, some of it is sentimentality on my part, but it blows away all of the touristy Emeril garbage. It's really an amazing place to eat -- it's far away from Bourbon St and all of the goofiness that accompanies that part of town. Please, please go!

Tom
11-14-2007, 09:41 AM
Food's yummy. Can't go wrong unless you go exclusively to the celebrity chef type places. Music's great, look around off Bourbon Street for the really good stuff.

One end of Bourbon Street is f'ing bizarre, 11 and 14 year old kids may be have a few uncomfortable questions for you.

And I'm not talking about the strip clubs with the 14 year old employees standing in the doorway. That's not the strange part. Your kids may ask you why that middle aged tourist woman is so drunk she peed herself in the middle of the day, for example. Karen and I just looked at each other and went "Wow." (You should have seen the lady's husband. He didn't look real pleased.)

Bill Bove
11-14-2007, 09:42 AM
You'll be there during The Jazz and Heritage Fest :banana: Lucky man :banana:

Ken Robb
11-14-2007, 10:00 AM
Brendan's restaurant recommendation certainly has a nice menu and wine list at prices that don't require 30 year financing. I'll put it my list of must dos if I ever go back to NO.

Some years ago I visited an old army pal who was national sales mgr. for a company w/HQ in N. Orleans. Sat. AM he asked where I wanted to have dinner that night. I said I figured we were SOL with no reservations at a good spot. No problem said he. After due consideration we decicded on Commander's Palace. We drove up to see a line out the door and I'm still thinking we're screwed. Nah, there's a back door for regulars. The food and service were wonderful. I noticed that he didn't leave a tip!!!!???? He informed me that regulars there and other similar places had their waiters on annual retainer! That was new one on me but certainly engenders two-way loyalty for good customers in a town where many of the tourists want to try the famous restaurants.

The next day he took us to Petrossi's, a fish market, cafe, bar well away from downtowm for a dirt-cheap feast of soft shell crab. With the right guide like Brendan you can dine well for little $$$$$. Have fun.

Blue Jays
11-14-2007, 10:41 AM
Fun place to visit. Take it easy on the cuisine unless you want to incorporate an extra seventy-five miles into your weekly riding schedule for the next three months! ;)

Dan Le foot
11-14-2007, 10:56 AM
We were there for the 1st time last year.
Leave the bike home.
Just about the worst place to ride I have seen.
Enjoy the French Quarter and the cuisine. But find a hotel that has exercise equipment. You will need it. (-;
Dan

malcolm
11-14-2007, 11:45 AM
I'm from Louisiana (Baton Rouge) and went to school in New Orleans for 4 years. The wife and I visited regularly pre Katrina. I've been back once since. As far as riding goes, there is decent riding around New Orleans, the closest to N.O. proper would be the path around the lake, you start at west end in Metairie and it goes around the lake to Kenner. Out and back if I recall is around 30 miles although I think that included a small loop through lakeview. I've not seen the path post Katrina. Also close is the path on the top of the mississippi levee (not the one that broke), it goes from down by audubon park and the zoo out about 15 or 20 miles and then back same route. Pretty cool if you've never done it before. Most people when I was there that rode alot went to mandeville or covington, endless 2 lane blacktop rolling hills. You can call GNO cyclery they should be able to answer your questions. After posting all this I would still recommend leaving the bikes and only ride if you can find something there and then do the levee. I love New Orleans and I hate to say this but New Orleans was a marginal place before Katrina and worse after. It is as if everything bad about the city somehow prospered and control even more than they did before. There are still many good hospitable people there and great places to eat from high dollar to neighbor hood type places. As far as find storm damage it won't be hard. Go and drive around west end, get out and look over in the New Oleans Yacht Club then visit the neighborhoods around lakeview. Go out to slidell and that doesn't even include the 9th ward. When we were there, this year, the traffic lights still didn't work on St. Charles and Carrolton Aves.. If you want you can contact me (pm or email) and I'll try and answer specific questions.

Bradford
11-14-2007, 12:29 PM
Go to Preservation Hall. Get there early for the first set and enjoy one of the best rooms to hear music in the world. What a great experience.

sn69
11-14-2007, 12:52 PM
and I used to live there. The city is definitely on the mend, at least all of it except for the 9th Ward (which was always disregarded and marginalized by NOLA propper, but that's a different story/issue). Malcomb got most of it. Here's what else I'd offer.

My old neighborhood--Lakeview; where one of the two levee breaks took place--is still rebuilding, but the rest is doing fairly well. I'm not sure if the Quarter is ideal for little ones given the number of strip joints and sex stores in the upper section (nearest Canal). However, Magazine Street and the Garden District are fine and have a lot to offer for dining, as does the eastern side of the Quarter.

Personal restaurant favorites include:
Red Fish Grill
Delmonico
Cobalt
Juan's Flying Burrito
NOLA
Vaqueros
Liuzza's
Lakeview Harbor
Reginelli's
Jaques-Imo
Mother's

Cycling blows. The Lakefront is the only decent place in town, but that requires lap after mind-numbing lap. Across the Lake there's a converted rail trail that affords better riding, but it's a schlep. LBSs of note include GNO Cycling (Mid City) and Michael's Bicycles (the Quarter).

Other things to do that the kids might enjoy include the aquarium (if it has reponed), various riverboat rides, various walking ghost tours of the Quarter (although they favor the dressed-in-black art hour Anne Rice poseur crowd), and various plantations (to the west of town in Boutte and/or La Place).

Finally, don't be a fred. Order your sammies "dressed," and drink/enjoy/love the Turbo Dog. It's the water of life down there. Enjoy. :beer:

Scott